All reviewslobby barplace to staypublic areasstaff are greatbusiness tripfood is excellentenjoyed my stayrooms are spaciousroom service iscentral africabreakfast buffet isinternet connectionthe air conditioningan upgradecentral locationhiltonsecurity
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This is the only branded hotel in Yaounde. This is the only place you have to stay if you are seeking quality and refinement in Yaounde. So everybody converges here. Everybody from private executives to government leaders. Even locals who want to have a nice drink in a pleasant environment are here.

The rooms are simple but pleasant. Not many choices when it comes to entertainment. The bathrooms are also nice and have all amenities. The hotel provides tropical fruits in the room, though does not replenish them. The bed comfort is good and the staff friendly. The hotel has a open swimming pool which is well maintained. Lots of choices for drink or food. Food is super especially the sea food. The panoramic bar of the top floor is a nice place where you can unwind at the end of the day.

There are issues, slow check in and check out. No swanky cars at the hotel for pick up and drop. The need to always pay an advance to cover expenses or incidentals or get disturbed if you overspend this advance and be reminded constantly to pay up. The lunch buffet is terrific

The casino is something the less spoken the better, NO vegas and NO LIGHTS. Just a simple place with a few slots and couple of tables but at least you can have fun. Please don't walk in with any expectations.

On the whole a oasis at the end of a long sweaty day. We need to remember we are in Africa and from that Perspective you have a nice place to stay

Room Tip: The rooms on floor 7 are better than the club floor rooms on floor 8. The breafkast on the club floor is much smaller and with poor options
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Vivian M
hiltonyaounde, General Manager at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to share your experience via Tripadvisor.

I was happy to learn that you were generally satisfied with the hotel’s facilities and services.

On the other hand, let me apologize personally for the issues you had specially during check in and check out and our lunch buffet, I assure you we have addressed all your concerns.

It is trough remarks from our loyal guests such as yourself, that you give us the opportunity to improve our services.

I hope you will give us a second chance to show our best and remain available at your convenience for any further information. Do not hesitate to contact me directly for your future reservation at the Hilton Yaounde.

Roland MUNTZER

Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is the best place to stay in Yaounde. The facilities are clean, the desk and wait staff are very friendly and more than happy to please. The concierge level has a wonderful breakfast and afternoon happy hour. I have not been disappointed yet.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us and i may assure you that i will share your wonderful comments with the team.

Thank you again for your kind compliments and i look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Roland MUNTZER

Reviewed May 7, 2012

The pros : excellent location downtown Yaounde, very nice health club in the basement (clean, spacious, with fully functional US fitness equipment), service driven staff (they agreed to provide laundry services on a Sunday when hotel forms clearly state that there is none (most other hotels in Africa would just let you know that if is impossible !)
The cons : irregular service level in the main restaurant (poor on Sunday, better on Monday: on Sunday boiled eggs were overbooked and served in a small dish because "egg holders were too far away..." but on Monday they were fine), use of low cost food brands but sold at five stars prices (see my picture of Leader price tea), style of rooms dating from 15 years ago, wifi only in public areas

• Stayed: May 2012
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to hear your positive comments regarding our newly refurbished Fitness center facilities and the level of service provided by the Laundry department.

On the other hand, let me apologize personaly for the poor quality of service you observed in our main restaurant. I may assure you that actions are taken to avoid this kind of inconvenience.

I fully understand your comment regarding the kind of food brand and may assure you that we use well known brand as long as available in the country. We unfortunately face regular inconsistencies in food product delivery which caused the exceptional usage of another brand.

Regarding internet, we are actually working on a new offer which will be implemented in every Hilton hotels worldwide shortly.

Sincerely

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We had several banquets in this place. They were helpful with the set up and with decorations and providing the food. The only negative parts I have to say is that several times we asked them to organise the room in a specific way and they would do the opposite of what we say, not sure if they do this on purpose or if they have to make the room in one position and not change it. We rented all three banquet halls so we could have the maximum amount of guests as well as the balcony.

Staff here are generally great I have not met anyone who made me uncomfortable, in fact they were always smiling. I have had a few dishes by the pool time a few times during weekends and can say that the food is great and my compliments to the chef.

The hotel is kept clean and it is located in a good location in the capital.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and facilities on tripadvisor. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests.

I was happy to learn that you were generally satisfied by our services and may assure you that your compliments to the Chef will be shared with the team.

On the other hand, let me apologize for the inconvenience you encountered regarding the banquet hall set up, the team will be informed and actions taken in order to avoid such issues in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Yaounde and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if i can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

GENERAL: I was here for 6 days for business trip. Similar to all Hiltons in that clean large rooms, multiple restaurants and shopping options. No issues with safety or access problems (hotel elevators monitored by two security personnel at all times of day/night ). 11th floor bar provided good view of the city, but I presume due to recent rains the windows throughout the hotel were rather clouded over. Lobby bar had the usual clingers but nothing new or unusual about that in Africa. Appeared to be "the" hotel for international personnel performing business in the city. Air conditioning was far better than most hotels I've visited in Africa; however, the issues in the shower with water pressure was beyond terrible. Not sure if old showerheads or just poor plumbing, but really became annoying by middle of the trip. Then we have the food and drink prices. Wow, no other way to say it. I live in the States and the food was more than I would pay in San Francisco or Washington DC in a similar hotel. The options within walking distance, if you dare, are very, very limited. Making a reasonable profit is one thing, I get it being in business myself, but frankly this was far overboard to similar properties, even considering import costs on many of the European niceties..
AMENITIES: The outdoor pool was nice and quiet with a great surround for privacy. The spa provided good services in the evening and reasonably priced. The gym was under construction, even though when I called prior to arrival I was told a working gym was in place; frustrating but I'll blame the language barrier which I seemed to be required to do many times on this trip. Executive lounge was well stocked, breakfast was a good selection and evening appetizers and drinks were well thought out.
OVERALL: would stay here again as I understand other selections are limited. However several new properties are under construction which would allow more choices in the very near future.

Room Tip: Higher is better; noise from very busy road evident when on lower floors.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank rmc1971
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I have noted your positive comments about some of our facilities and thank you for that. However, I was concerned to hear the issues you encountered with the quality of the shower, the Gym and prices of the food and drinks.

Regarding the shower, we have experienced some challenges with water pressure on the 8th floor in which I believe you were staying. I may assure you that actions have been taken to resolve this issue. For your information, the Executive floor will be fully refurbished by mid 2012 including complete bathrooms, rooms, corridor and Lounge.
For the Gym, it is true that the actual fitness center is under renovation and will re-open very soon featuring brand new equipments in a refreshed environment; However a temporary Gym was organized since the beginning of the renovation and available for our resident guests. It is located in front of the Beauty shop (Level -1).

As you mentioned, cost for imported items is very high and therefore has an impact on the Food and drinks prices. I may assure you that we’ll do our best to improve the value for money on this particular matter.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encounter.