All reviewslobby barplace to staypublic areasstaff are greatbusiness tripfood is excellentenjoyed my stayrooms are spaciousroom service iscentral africabreakfast buffet isinternet connectionthe air conditioningan upgradecentral locationhiltonsecurity
Reviewed February 20, 2012

GENERAL: I was here for 6 days for business trip. Similar to all Hiltons in that clean large rooms, multiple restaurants and shopping options. No issues with safety or access problems (hotel elevators monitored by two security personnel at all times of day/night ). 11th floor bar provided good view of the city, but I presume due to recent rains the windows throughout the hotel were rather clouded over. Lobby bar had the usual clingers but nothing new or unusual about that in Africa. Appeared to be "the" hotel for international personnel performing business in the city. Air conditioning was far better than most hotels I've visited in Africa; however, the issues in the shower with water pressure was beyond terrible. Not sure if old showerheads or just poor plumbing, but really became annoying by middle of the trip. Then we have the food and drink prices. Wow, no other way to say it. I live in the States and the food was more than I would pay in San Francisco or Washington DC in a similar hotel. The options within walking distance, if you dare, are very, very limited. Making a reasonable profit is one thing, I get it being in business myself, but frankly this was far overboard to similar properties, even considering import costs on many of the European niceties..
AMENITIES: The outdoor pool was nice and quiet with a great surround for privacy. The spa provided good services in the evening and reasonably priced. The gym was under construction, even though when I called prior to arrival I was told a working gym was in place; frustrating but I'll blame the language barrier which I seemed to be required to do many times on this trip. Executive lounge was well stocked, breakfast was a good selection and evening appetizers and drinks were well thought out.
OVERALL: would stay here again as I understand other selections are limited. However several new properties are under construction which would allow more choices in the very near future.

Room Tip: Higher is better; noise from very busy road evident when on lower floors.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank rmc1971
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I have noted your positive comments about some of our facilities and thank you for that. However, I was concerned to hear the issues you encountered with the quality of the shower, the Gym and prices of the food and drinks.

Regarding the shower, we have experienced some challenges with water pressure on the 8th floor in which I believe you were staying. I may assure you that actions have been taken to resolve this issue. For your information, the Executive floor will be fully refurbished by mid 2012 including complete bathrooms, rooms, corridor and Lounge.
For the Gym, it is true that the actual fitness center is under renovation and will re-open very soon featuring brand new equipments in a refreshed environment; However a temporary Gym was organized since the beginning of the renovation and available for our resident guests. It is located in front of the Beauty shop (Level -1).

As you mentioned, cost for imported items is very high and therefore has an impact on the Food and drinks prices. I may assure you that we’ll do our best to improve the value for money on this particular matter.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encounter.

I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Yaounde and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if i can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

When landing in Yaounde, Cameroon one quickly thinks what a hussling place. traffic, shooting, vendors left and right. A real African capital.

When enterting the Hilton Yaounde one is welcomed in a world class hotel with impecable service standards and delivery. Friendly reception staff, quick and dedicated room service. Nice rooms with all the world class amenities one is customed to expect in a world class hotel. All of this in the heart of Cameroon is refreshing and quite frnkly a breath of fresh air.

The staff are clearly well trained and motivated to ensure your stay is nice and as comfortable as possible.

The restaurant caters for international travelers and locals alike with a large variety of dishes. The meat was so nice I almost considered ordering a second portion!

Room Tip: As for a room overlooking the Boulevard. Amazing views of the heart of Yaounde!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Frederic V
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us and i may assure you that i will share your wonderful comments with the team.

Thank you again for your kind compliments and i look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Hilton is a very spacious and conviniently located in Yaounde. The main business in Yaounde is the government work and hence this is very much near the business. This hotel stands to it 5 star standards. Yaounde is a French speaking place and hence it is very comfortable to speak to any staff in English in this hotel. Breakfast spread is very good and worth spending 11000CFAs for that. Cameroun is a mosquito infested nation, hence better to stay at higher floor.

Room Tip: higher floor for avoiding mosquitoes. road facing for some view of mountains.
1  Thank praj123
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests.

I was pleased to hear that you were satisfied by our facilities and services during your stay.
I may assure you that your positive comments will be shared with the team.
Regarding your comments about mosquitoes, we regularly fumigate the hotel surrounding in order to reduce risks. However, we may as well treat the rooms upon request.

I would be pleased to welcome you personally at the Hilton Yaounde in the near future.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

I was here for 10 days for business. Typical Hilton, clean roomy rooms, places to eat, drink, shop and relax all within the hotel. Felt safe and had no problems in those regards. Lots of westerners and African business people coming and going. For a poor country this hotel does charge a lot for food and drinks. Air conditioning worked well, but they seem to have a problem with water coming off the units. Wet spot on the carpet in my room and water dripping from the ceiling in the 11th floor lounge, everyday. Inside nice and clean, they need to get some window washers on the outside though. The 11th floor lounge windows are very dirty. Food is ok to good but overpriced. Same for soft and hard drinks. Overall you don’t get much of a choice, but I’d stay here again. Better that some other places I’ve stayed in more devolved countries.

2  Thank Mark S
Gregory T, Director of operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I was pleased to hear that you were generaly satisfied by our services and facilities.
On the other hand, let me apologize for the inconveniences regarding the in-room water supply and the leakage at the bar. I may assure you that actions are taken in order to improve our services.
For your information, our renovation plan is still on going with the Fitness center which will re-open end of February; Our Executive floor will be refurbished mid 2012. The bar on the 11th floor is scheduled for a complete change in 2013.
Regarding the Food and Beverage prices, we are doing our best to maintain affordable prices despite very high cost of importation and local prices increase.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

It is now 5:43 a.m. and we have not been able to sleep at all. We are on the 7th floor and can't sleep because a wedding party has the music so high it sounds like it is next door. I called the lobby earlier and was told the noise was outside and would soon end. The person also said they had sent someone. When I went downstairs to see for myself, I found that the wedding is at the HIlton. I was told management has 2 choices customers who sleep or hold receptions. No apologies. While the hotel has the physical accommodations, the staff are friendly, it appears management cares only about one thing ... MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank seca g
Gregory T, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Yaounde and for taking the time to write to us.

I was really concerned to hear that our services did not meet your expectations and especially about the inconvenience and disagreement which occured. Please accept my sincere apologies.

It is true that there were two weddings within the hotel on this saturday the 14th of January ; Both organized in our closed ballrooms on the 01 floor. Unfortunately, another wedding took place in an outdoor restaurant very close from the main building. This restaurant is not managed by the hotel and we faced difficulties to get them reducing the music volume. However I may assure you that actions are taken to avoid such inconvenience in the future.

Again, let me apology personally for the inconvenience and i hope you will give us another chance to show our best. In this purpose, i would appreciate if you could contact me directly for a potential future stay in Yaounde.