“Are we in Paris?”

Cafe Gourmand
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Bujumbura
Cuisines: Cafe, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "This authentic French boulangerie-patisserie offers freshly baked treats and a range of savoury pastries. Le Café Gourmand is open 7 days a week for eat-in or take-out. ["Gourmand" has an interesting history, literally translated as "greedy", how can a negative connotation can be associated with happiness on a plate?! The word is now used to describe one who has a love for fine food!]Indulge in a unique taste-bud tingling experience in the heart of Africa - be a gourmand! "
Kabul
“Are we in Paris?”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Amazing pastries and cakes. Bit of a modern, marble floored, chrome tabled atmosphere but worth it for a cake, coffee and internet connection if need be.

Visited November 2012

St. Asaph, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Must Not Miss!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was first introduced to Cafe Gourmand when shown a photograph of the offerings by a colleague who kept it on her phone. It looked good but I was sceptical as food of this quality is just not available in Bujumbura. I finally went some weeks later, walked through the door and OMG! The display that greeted me would not look out of place on a boulevarde in Paris. Is is a patisserie not a restaurant as such but the difference in terms of the delights of eating there are simply in the range of food available not the quality.

I had a wonderful Tarte au Fraises and a coffee that we superb. All the time customers were coming in, some to eat and some to take out. A constant stream of expats came and went clutching bags with various types of French bread and a few boxes of pastries.

I returned on my next trip bringing a few colleagues with me who had precisely the same reaction as I did on my first visit - how can this be in Bujumbura, why didn't I know it was here?

This time I had Quiche au Jambon, Tarte au Fraises and a cappuccino all of which could not be faulted for a total bill of about US$7. We also took away some baguettes for a cheese and wine party that night and they turned out to be almost as good as you might expect anywhere in France.

The service is fast, accurate and professional and the atmosphere and decor is possibly best described as chic.

The bad points are very few, one is selfishly that the place is getting better known and consequently busier, the a/c sometimes struggles and it gets quite warm but these are tiny criticisms.

We now go once per week, no more because the waistline would inevitably suffer as the vast array of tartes, gateaux, chocolate and macaroons as well as savoury options including quiches, paninis, croissants and club sandwiches would have to be sampled. Nothing individually is large enough to worry about but it's hard to just have one thing. If I didn't live in a hotel I would eat no other bread.

• Visited October 2012
Paris, France
“Just for this, I could live in Bujumbura!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A patisserie just like a excellent one I can find at home...just perfect! The mille-feuilles are awesome! Very nice place to keep a foot in France when I am away!

Visited October 2012