“ITS OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Bhopal, India
“ITS OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

what else you want, getting Indian food in Africa , but you seriously have to do something for the mosquitoes you have :) that comes complimentary

Visited January 2012
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Makati, Philippines
“Eating at the Taj Mahal...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Restaurant & Bar in Bujumbura, Burundi
Last night I had dinner at the Taj Mahal Restaurant and Bar located a nice 2 minute walk from the Village Hotel in Bujumbura, Burundi. When you first walk in off the street you will see the Taj Mahal art gallery straight ahead which features a small collection of paintings (they look somewhat local), baskets, a few wood carvings, and some jewelry that looks like it came straight from China. All in all the art gallery was a disappointing and I did not see anything I would want.
Come out of the gallery and turn to your right (left if you have just come from the street) and you will walk into the restaurant featuring both indoor and outdoor seating I opted for outdoor since the weather was rather nice. The first thing I noticed was the place was very quiet with only 3 other tables occupied (one of which I think was the owner), but I figured maybe it was to early for dinner at only 7PM.
I selected a table, sat down and was handed a menu which thankfully was in English (a rare thing to find in a French speaking country). As I thumbed through the menu I came across a wide variate of food featuring everything from Indian (the majority of the menu) to Chinese to French and European. I decided on Indian and thumbed through the list of 50+ dishes settling on chicken dhupia za, a chicken dish with grilled onion according to the menu with a side of garlic nan.
I waited about 15 – 20 minutes for my food sipping on my Tusker beer and reading my book.
When the food came it was more like chicken in onion gravy than with grilled onion so I was not sure if it was what I ordered or not but it smelled good and looked good so I decided what the heck. Skewered a piece of chicken and a piece of onion on my fork, dragged it through the gravy and took my first bite.
The chicken was moist and juicy, the gravy tasted of onion and Indian spices, the onion tasted like, well an onion. All together this was a very flavorful first bite though I could have used a little more spice in it.
Next was the garlic nan, so I ripped off a piece of the still warm nan dripping with butter and took my first bite. The nan did not disappoint, lots of butter and garlic dripping of this warm Indian flat bread filled my mouth with the wonderful garlic flavor as my nose took in the aromatic garlic smell. I dragged the next piece of nan through the gravy from the chicken and the flavors melded together perfectly.
Overall the food was good but it was not great or fantastic. The first taste was the best but after that it was just Indian food as the impression did not stay through the rest of the meal. There is another Indian restaurant in town which is much better and will be the topic of my next post in a few days.
-erik

Visited November 2012
Vienna, Virginia
“Excellent food fast service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Unlike most restaurants in Bujumbura, service is fast. Most of the tables are outside under cover and unlike other places there is not a mosquito problem at night. They have Indian, Chinese and other types of food - such as local fish - Sangala etc. They also have carryout, but I advise against ordering in advance and expecting to eat there - it confused them and they wrapped up the food - took longer to get it fixed than for preparation. Prices are slightly lower than some other restaurants for both food and alcohol.

Visited August 2012
Paris, France
“Good Punjabi Fare, Average Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

They had a variety of North Indian dishes. Entrees are priced between 6,000 and 12,000 BIF. A "glass" (actually more like two glasses) of wine is 4,000 BIF.

For those who aren't picky about Indian food, I'd say the cuisine was good. After all, this is Burundi, not India!

For those who know Indian food well, I'd say the cuisine was nothing to write home about. Everything was cooked Punjabi style - in other words, lots of butter/oil in everything. Even the yellow daal, which is not supposed to be oily, had excess oil in it.

The service was average. The Indian chef (owner?) was nice, but had limited English skills and some trouble understanding my questions. He offered a couple freebees, including a nice cabbage salad. However the zinger came at the end of the night when we got the bill. 61,000 BIF for two people seemed like a lot. I took out a calculator and added up the total: it came to 47,500 BIF!

Since this is the more reasonably priced of only two Indian restaurants in the entire country, I'd probably go back again. But when I return, I'll request less oil/butter and I'll double check the bill amount.

Visited October 2012
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
“Good Indian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Excellent indian cuisine, as good as any in major cities around the World. The bad point is an annoying Maitre d' who frequently ignores taking down your choices in favour of trying to push his specialties of the day unless you are very firm with him.

Visited June 2012