“Comfortable room on the cheap”
Review of A-Ford-O Motel

A-Ford-O Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Atlantic
A-Ford-O Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Atlantic
Davenport, Iowa
“Comfortable room on the cheap”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

There are (were) two inexpensive mom & pop motels in Atlantic, Turkey Creek (closed as of Jan 2013) and the A Ford O. Both are somewhat "rustic" in terms of interior appointments, but still reasonably clean and well maintained. My group puts on a classic car cruise across Iowa each summer, and several of us stayed there last year. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with working WiFi. All this for 41 bucks. Total. Hard to beat that. I'd stay there again. Come to think of it, I just did this past Wednesday night. I'll be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Milwaukee
Reviewed August 1, 2011

13 of us stayed here for RAGBRAI, in 4 rooms. There is nothing fancy about this motel, BUT, the shower pressure was fantastic! The rooms were so-so in terms of cleanliness, but nothing disgusting. Perhaps one of nicest things about motel is integrity of owner. One of our team couldn't join us. Owner could have stuck with quoted price, but she reduced an already incredibly low price after she learned that our group total was down by 1. This was a great value for our team.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank MKEShrink
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2010

At first glace when you walk into room not bad, but then you start looking around.
Let's atart with BATHRROM:
1. shower well lets put it this way you don't want to take a shower

The main room where bed dresser tv etc. was also needed help. this must have been a smoking room , there was an ashtray in the draw with ashes still in it. there Are cigarette buts behind the bed on floor we were there one nite and our colthes smell from smoke and we don't smoke. The ice bucket, mirco wave and refig and also shower could be use for testing mold (peatree dish). The lighting in room was also bad and the blinds on window were broken I don't think the draps were cleans since they first own the place All and alll the room could use a complete makeover but knowing the owner she would probable paint right over everything I don't see the owner doning any thing because my husband is a commercial painter he and I quore- THERE IS NOT ENOUGH PAINT SOAP OR ANYOTHER CLANING SUPPLIES TO CLEAN THIS ROOM.
we come in for the antique walk in walnut and the other hotels in the area were book expect for this holtel now I know why yes it is a-fordable but not liveable I call Atlantic chamber of commerce and ask about this holtel and they told me it was clean room and nice owver. so much for beliveing them. Our advice for anyone thinking of staying HERE is NO!!! !but if one has to makesure to pack HASMET SUIT.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank ruth087

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic hotels

Midwest
Reviewed November 24, 2008

The sibs and I have a real soft spot for this place -- it's a little roadside strip of a motel complete with faux wood paneling, a couple that has owned the place for decades and who always asks us how our mom is doing when we come to town, plus a cute fat cat that occasionally waltzes into the front office when he deems us worthy of visitation.
Oh, and it's dirt cheap. Like $43 for the three of us for a bedroom with two queens plus a fold-out in the, um, sitting room -- decked out with nubby beige and brown plaid and wood furniture, 70s lamps, ashtrays and carpet that looks like it all went with the original ensemble.
The owners are very nice and, since I have smoke allergies, will let me check out the rooms before selecting ours and also provide an air purifier on request. It must sound odd that I have smoke allergies and am willing to stay in a room where folks have been puffing, but I've paid for way too many ostensibly smoke-free rooms only to get in and find that they're anything but, and be stuck with it (since the other nonsmoking rooms are usually taken). Still, I recommend checking out the room, including the bathroom, for sure.
If you're looking for less character, more quality, plus your standard donuts and DIY waffles continental breakfast, there's a Super 8 in town that is alright. Oddly enough, though, we've had more problems with neighboring party noise there then at the little A-Ford-O. People book the nicer place when they want to party? But if you don't need to be right in town, the motel out by the interstate is just fine and they have great coupons in those little travel books you pick up at the rest and truck stops.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank One_Happy_Bull
Dallas, Texas and Vienna, Austria
Reviewed June 20, 2004

OK- this is by far the worst place I have stayed in my entire life. The room was filthy. Nasty carpet. We had two twin beds and a sitting room. It was last decorated in 1965. Dirty, old upholstery. The beds had dark, patterned sheets on them to mask the fact that there were cigarette holes in them. My friend's twin bed had crumbs in it!!! The bathroom rug was filthy (I don't think they own a vacuum cleaner.)
The sink was filthy too- grey scum at the top.
The worst thing was the fact that right next to my bed was a window that would not lock. I truly feared that "Psycho" would crawl in on me in the middle of the night. I was thrilled to wake up, be alive, and "get the hell out of Dodge"!!!!
On an up note, the unmade bed was surprisingly comfortable. My advice-avoid this one until they get their act together!

5 Thank Evelyn S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic
Boulders Inn & Suites
#4 of 5 in Atlantic
Super 8 Walnut
Super 8 Walnut
#1 of 1 in Walnut

Been to A-Ford-O Motel? Share your experiences!