“I won’t be staying at the Metcourt again!” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Gaborone
johannesburg
“I won’t be staying at the Metcourt again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was told the drive from Johannesburg to Gaborone was over 5 hours so I left home at 08h00 but arrived at the Metcourt at 12h40. I know the check-in time is 14h00 but it was nearly 13h00 so I decided to ask the reception staff if my room was available – I got a cheeky guy by the name of Kitso who wasn’t interested in my situation – I got a standard “come back at 14h00” response with some sarcastic cheek.

I asked if he would at least check to see if my room was ready – he waited 20 minutes before checking and then he let me check in. I was told that there was a ‘water problem’ and got room 201. When I got to my room I checked the water and it seemed fine. In the morning, however I had no hot water. I complained to reception and a lady eventually moved me to room 101 where the water was not cold but luke-warm. (They put me on the top floor knowing that there was a water/pressure issue). Keep in mind this is the middle of winter!

On my last day (day 4) I again had cold water that was just a trickle as there was no pressure. When I checked out I told the guy on duty (wasn’t wearing his name badge so don’t know his name) and he said ‘sorry’, which seems the standard response as he told the guests checking out after me the same thing when they also complained about the cold water. The hotel had 4 days to sort this out and yet nothing seems to have been done.

In addition to the above the rooms were not cleaned properly – I had hairs (mine) in the basin and hairs (not mine) in the bed. On the first 2 days I had biscuits in the room but on the last 2 days I had none and no spoon either.

The breakfasts are the same every day – why don’t they change the menu for guests who are staying for longer than a day!?

I had a special for 800 Pula that included dinner, bed and breakfast. I should NOT have taken the special! The dinner was disgusting. The Metcourt does not have a restaurant so the dinner was at the 5-star Grand Palm hotel on the same premises – the Mokolwane Bistro. I would rate the buffet 2 stars – tasteless, bland food.

I ended up eating at the Beef Baron restaurant – now this is 5-star food and service! Cost me extra but was excellent - the only good part of my stay.

And lastly, I bring my own cappuccino sachets (10 in a box) and one was stolen from the room – shows the calibre of some staff members.

I won’t be staying at the Metcourt again!!

2 Thank KrugerToKalahari
Peermont, General Manager at Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and we appreciate for your feed back on our hotel. We note that our receptionist kindly checked you in at 12.58 pm on the 27th of July over an hour before the noted check in time of 14.00 hours. We experienced an unexpected failure of 2 booster pumps on the afternoon of Saturday 27th but were able to take remedial action to get pressure back up, unfortunately the next morning our system developed an air lock which took almost 2 hours to resolve, this interrupted our guests wanting to take a showers, but we immediately arranged for several rooms at our sister hotel on complex to be used by our guests. This really was a great back up plan and several of our guests took up this offer and credit must be given to the Team at the Walmont for assisting so enthusiastically. We will share your feedback on the room cleaning and amenities with our Rooms team and ensure that measures are reinforced to alleviate these issues, we will also make our kitchen brigade aware of the your tasteless self serve buffet experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed our Beef Baron a la carte restaurant, and again would like apologize that your stay in this instance was below your expectations. We look forward to inviting you back to our resort soon.

Metcourt General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is good for business stopover but expensive at 785 Pula per night. Generally needs a revamp. Hanging space small, all else functional but the noisy AC will drive you crazy. Staff friendly. When I checked in the safe had a "low bat" warning and didn't work. I could have had the batteries replaced but why can't this be checked as part of the daily checklist prior to check-in? Irritating. Rooms small but functional. Not worth the rate I paid.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Peermont, General Manager at Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for you feed back on Trip Advisor on your recent stay at our Select Service hotel. We will share your comments with our Team to ensure that our services and facilities are continuously improved; we will especially train our service staff to ensure that the laptop safe battery is reported as soon as it is low. Our aircons are new console units, replaced in 2012 and we will investigate and remedy the noise you experienced. We are proud of our friendly staff and our business model as a good functional business stop over and value your feed back on this. We take cognizance of your disappointment with our rate which you consider to be on the high side. We have a number of loyalty programmes that reward guests, such as our Crown Key which rewards for frequent stays and our Business Club card program which offers members some preferential rates. You may inquire on our website or upon your next stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

A basic business hotel. Two multiple day trips, each less satisfying than the last.
The rooms are cramped and poorly furnished: damaged desk chair, damaged desk (can barely support the weight of books and laptop), leaky showers and noisey background hum from a transformer or alike. Car park side better than garden side.

Staff are friendly and helpful but generally quite slow. They do make an effort to fill the void with friendly chat however.

Location is reasonable and offers some advantages of being in the complex (meals, bar etc)

Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We live in Molepolole, Botswana, which is about an hour NW of Gaborone. We come to Gaborone frequently for necessary purchases and for occasional entertainment. When we come, we always stay at the Metcourt because on our Peace Corps budget, this hotel is the best bang for our precious bucks! We enjoy the great service, courteous and friendly staff, and most of all, the awesome showers! Seriously, the best water pressure in the country! The rooms are very clean, neat and well designed with modern TVs, Air Conditioners/Heaters, and again.... great showers! The location is also ideal for us, as it is very easy to get from the hotel to just about anywhere in the city. We also met the manager, Ted Soutter, who was extremely friendly, knowledgeable about Gaborone and its offerings, and was entirely focused on being sure our stay was comfortable and satisfying in every possible way. We were very impressed with him and his staff and would highly recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone coming to Gaborone!

Room Tip: Your stay at the moderately priced Metcourt, entitles you to use of some of the ammeneties at the co...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Computersystem down when arriving. Well helped by staff.
Check-in smooth. "Smokefree" room stank of cigaret smoke. Got another room very fast. A smal room but called executive room - large bed- room facing towards road. If you are used to live in a city it is no problems. Executive room: small-good bed - noisy since facing road-large AC taking a lot of space and sounds like the old windowsill AC -a tiny desk - a small safe -
Tried to get something to drink before bar opened.-no problem-even got someone to carry the bottles to the room.

The room-service is hardly that. They do not have beer, wine etc. They cannot exchange potato crisps (sidedish) w/e.g. french fries. They serve 3-4 dishes in polystyren containers-probably re-heated in a microwave-oven. No cutlery save a plastic spoon.
There are some small signs of missing maintenance: paint falling of the wall in the bathroom. (Showerhead missing-reported to frontdesk who acted imediately! Hurrah! )
More serious is that there was mould (fungi) in the shower! Not a speck but covering areas.

WiFi in the room, but speed chocked to 50 KB and the total amount for two days aprox. 500 MB
Not good enough!
Breakfast: good coffee-good selections-friendly staff
Staff seem to have understood: guests first.

When checking out we were told when paying food in cash: No small money to give you back. Hm...
All in all: a hotel I would use for a one night business trip provided that the fungi is cleaned out.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the road if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Peermont, General Manager at Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
FUNGI IN BATHROOM GIVES SIGNAL

Thank you for the review and feedback. We will ensure the mould (Actually residue from Silicone seal) is completely removed from our Bathrooms.

Metcourt Inn is a Select Service Hotel and we do not offer full on room service but a limited Deli Service snack menu. Metcourt Inn is Gaborone’s preferred Business hotel and we continually score highly on our Mystery Guest Index 96% for January to March and 93% for May to June 2013.

Our staff is amongst Botswana’s finest that are always willing to resolve guest problems and committed to exceeding Customer expectations at every guest interface.

johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

My first stay at the Metcourt, certainly my hotel of choice for a next visit to Gaborone. For those of us traveling on business (at the shareholder's expense) hotels like this should be the standard as it offers almost everything (free wifi in-room?) one needs.
The complimentary hotel shuttle provided a comfortable ride of around 25 minutes to the hotel which is located on spacious well-kept grounds which just ask for a stroll and watch a glorious African sunset.
Check-in quick and pleasant, the room fairly small but comfortable and bathroom/shower that was clean and functional. Air conditioning enough capacity to cool down the room quickly and then switch to fan only or just off.
Breakfast all I need at a reasonable price, good coffee and pleasant service.
The transport that I asked the evening receptionist to arrange the previous day arrived well on time and provided me with reliable/safe transport for the day.
Coming back from my appointments for the day I realized that I had quite a hit of time to kill so decided to enquiry about renting a room for part of the day which normally would only be done at full rate as a matter of policy. The day crew ( thank you ladies) took an interest in my 'plight' and negotiated a discount which they didn't have to do but gladly did it it with a beautiful SeTswana smile.
The nice thing about staying at the Metcourt is the access to the restaurants and bar of the other hotel on the premises.

Summarizing, the hotel gives very good value for money in a very age and attractive environment. Every member of staff that I engaged with (including security officers) were true ambassadors of their brand and true to the great SeTswana tradition of friendliness and hospitality.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Gaborone, Botswana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Been here many times. My first choice in Gaborone. Centrally located in a beautifull surrounding with palms. Access to same facilities as the exclusive Walmont such as swimmingpool, several restaurants and casino. Good and caring staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo