“Modern hotel with prehistoric services”

Peermont Metcourt Inn at The Grand Palm
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Gaborone
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Rooms are nice, modern and comfortable but I had nothing but problems with the services of the hotel. The room safe was broken when I checked in and took a few days to fix, the internet kept going in and out, my electronic room key wouldn't work at times, and the phone in the room wouldn't work.

The staff were nice and meant well but I found them to be somewhat slow and not too understanding.

The breakfast was very basic and not included in the room. The location was 15 minutes from the center of the city and the hotel shares the grounds with a more luxurious hotel/casino called the Grand Palm.

A good and comfortable stay but will see if there are other options the next time I come to Gaborone.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nyujay2010

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed twice at the Peermont Metcourt on a recent trip to Botswana to visit our daughter, the first time for 3 nights and the second time for 5 nights. Both times we were treated to friendly & helpful service. Having had all our luggage stolen had put a bit of a damper on the day but when we arrived the staff at the front desk offered not only sympathy but an up-grade to an executive room and then arranged for transportation to the mall so we could buy a few clothes. The rooms are on the small side but very clean and well looked after. The grounds are beautiful and The Grand Palm's swimming pool and restaurants are just a few steps away. Breakfasts are good but expensive and wi-fi is very expensive, especially when you can get it for free in other places in the city.

Room Tip: Rooms facing The Grand Palm are quieter & the view is lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travellerj60
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Shuttle driver at airport was lackadaisical and unwelcoming. Check-in staff was slow and apathetic. Room looked run-down and had no towels in bathroom. Front desk staff were not actually standing at the desk, but rather sitting in the doorway of the back room behind the desk, and seemed annoyed to have to get up to answer my question. Rather than saying they would send someone from housekeeping to deliver towels to my room, they kept me waiting at the front desk for several minutes and then had me carry the towels back to the room myself. The phone in the room did not work, even to call the front desk. The internet in the room clearly had not been set-up correctly. It bounced you to a sign-up-for-a-fee page with no instructions on how to actually sign up, so you were never able to actually access the internet. Food at Beef Baron was good (standard steakhouse fare), but service was appalling. Waiter threw things down on the table lightning-fast and walked away again without a word. Food came very slowly, as did the bill, once requested. In the morning, the front desk staff again looked annoyed and surly to be disturbed for my check-out. I said, "Good morning." Silence from desk staff. I said, "Can I pay by credit card?" No response; just an outstretched hand. Unacceptable rudeness; no ethic of customer service. Return shuttle to the airport did not pick us up on time, and several of us nearly missed our flights. Terrible stay.

I stayed here only because it was significantly cheaper than the adjoining Walmont Grand Palm, the Gaborone Sun, the Cresta, or any of the other international-quality hotels I found listed on TripAdvisor and other websites. But the savings don't justify the shabby facilities and appalling performance by the staff. I would pay more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ajpub
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Most of the people call it " Taj Mahal " of Botswana. They have very beautifull landscaping & gardens around the Hotel. Hotel food is great and the staff is very frienly , courteous and helpfull. Rooms & room service is great. The Casino at the hotel is always beaming and you meet lots of frienly people there. On the whole Botswana people are very very friendly and family oriented. I stayed for six weeks in the hotel , nothing but praise for them. No 1 place to stay in Gabs.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I asked my client to book me in this hotel for two reasons - it is situated in the Grand Palm grounds & I wanted to use the gym there (the gym was tiny and overcrowded with people and equipment to the point of making it useless) and I like(d) to eat at the Beef Baron at the Grand Palm (not as good as it used to be). So that leaves a neat modern building with VERY small rooms - literally nowhere to put a suitcase down except the floor or your bed. (Why? this is Gaborone not Paris!). The worst part is the service. Check in took about 45 minutes- one well intentioned poor guy working his way through a laborious check in procedure. Check out was almost as bad. All requests to attend to my non-functioning safe were ignored (3 of them over 3 days, then I gave up.) Asking for an espresso with breakfast meant having it arrive just as I was leaving, after about 30 minutes wait. There is clearly no management care here, in contrast to the very pleasant Metcourt at Johannesburg airport. Finally the hotel is only 4km's from the city centre, but on a HIGHLY congested road, so if you are working in central Gaborone & stay here add 45 minutes journey time each way. Just not worth it....

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Jimboza
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The Metcourt is relatively new and I think I stayed there shortly after it had opened. It was designed for the business traveler and has less to offer than its neighboring Walmont sister hotel. And by less, I mean a lot less. The only real edge this place has over the Walmont is that the breakfast is cheaper.
The elevators are slow, the service so-so, the internet not so great, no room service, no restaurant on site (aside from breakfast) and it's not that much cheaper than the Walmont.
Oh, did I mention the rooms are smaller?
I will admit that the rooms at the Metcourt look nicer than the Walmont (they have a more modern feel to them), but I'd prefer space. Also, there are no safes or refrigerators in the room.
If you want dinner, to work out, take out cash, buy a newspaper or swim, you have to go over to the Walmont. Granted, it's really not that far at all, but at the end of a long work day when you all you want to do is have a quick bite to eat and go to bed, the idea of going out and finding food isn't very appealing to me at least.
For the money you're going to spend, stay at the nicer, more convenient, better equipped Walmont.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2009

I received the most terrible service imaginable from the metcourt inn receptionist on Dec 18 2009 when we wanted to have our clothes ironed. we were told we have to take our landry to the grand palm after waiting for 24 hours for the ioron which never arrived. for a three star hotel this is applalling service

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple