“New and Friendly with a Few Challenges”
Review of Masa Square Hotel

Masa Square Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Gaborone
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel three times over the last year. Positives: Staff are exceptionally friendly and the front desk is now working well. Rooms are clean and everything works. Requests for maintenance are answered quickly. Great location close to everything. Challenges: internet is unreliable and when it is down the staff are lost and it is down for hours. WiFi connectivity varies hugely depending on the room locaiton. Food, other than the abundant breakfast, is below the standard for the hotel's image. Assuming the internet issues are resolved, I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms looking to the north require less AC during the day.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Amcphail2
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for your largely positive review - we clearly have some work to do on the food and I would welcome any detailed feedback you have in terns of items you would like to see more or less of - perhaps when you are next here?

Kind regards

Rupert Elliott

Reviewed November 3, 2013

had a lovely stay at a spacious family suite. my sons were happy and loved being away from home. Then we had a lovely breakfast on sunday to finish a good weekend.
The location of the hotel is fantastic as you can access movie cinemas and entertainment areas easily.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Thank you for your review - I am pleased you had a good time with us - please come again soon

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a week long conference at the Lansmore Masa Square. It's a beautiful hotel situated in the CBD of Gaborone. It's so central that everything is within reach.

The conference facilities were crammed together. There was no room in the foyer of the conference halls. We were always 'clashing' with other classes of people. The air conditioning in the conference room I was in called Johannesburg was not adequate. We were literally cooking in there.

There was no variety in the teas that they offered .They should have used their imagination and provided variety.. Ooooh I nearly forgot , they serve this vey concentrated juice at tea time I had diarrhea after drinking it.

The lunch also lacked variety. I had an upset stomach from food from the hotel. The hotel should investigate take some swabs etc. their hotel food will ruin your reputation.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank impudzi
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in the new CBD in Gaborone and we could walk to our offices which is a nice change. The rooms facing the courtyard can be very noisy on weekends. The vodka bar on the 3rd floor is a fantastic place for sundowners. The breakfast is nice but nothing special - not 5 star quality or spread. I will stay here again due to the location but they need to up the special attention given to the things that make it a truly wow hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Must-see-the-world1
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your largely positive review of the place - we clearly have more to do at breakfast and strive every day to improve in all areas for that challenging five star level. I am glad you will be back and hope you will see some improvement.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Should I come again to Gaborone, I will definitely choose this hotel once again! The Hotel is very new and has a pleasant modern style with a good and very nice atmosphere (exactly the opposite of the Sun, where I have been previously). The whole structure is very neat and clean, the staff is unbelievably friendly, smiling and always ready to help customers. The Hotel is not "centrally" located, it's in a new area in development but it's easy to reach nay part of the city from there. It faces a small plaza, accessible directly from the hotel, where a few very good restaurants are located (this could be a bit noisy on fridays and saturday - if you mind, ask for a room not facing the plaza), giving you a good choice without the need of a car). Breakfast is very good and with a great choice, salty or sweet, including eggs and pancakes prepared on the spot. At the third floor there is a small outdoor infinity pool (never used unfortunately) and a gym. In my opinion the gym is the only thing that really need to be improved in this hotel: it is small and overcrowded during the week, although it has relatively good machines and runners. Rooms are very good, well appointed with good quality linen and bedding, very clean and nice bathroom with bath tub and shower.
I definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the plaza if you stay here during the weekend and you mind nois...
2  Thank FedericoPaesano

How wonderful to read your review - thank you for taking the time and trouble to write it. I am sorry you found the gym too busy - it has been a surprise success since we opened it and we are talking to our partners to see what plans we can make to free up some hotel guests only time.
Thank you once again - I hope you will be back soon

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Spending a week in Gaborone and unfortunately the office booked me at the Lansmore. Last night there was an event and it took 25 minutes to get into the parking garage and park. Tonight I lay in bed, in my room that over-looks the courtyard that they have turned into a night club. The blaring music, the people yelling to be heard, all reverberating against the room windows.

Management need to decide if they want to run a hotel where people come to work and sleep, or a nightclub that attracts huge, yelling, drinking crowds.

And the icing on the cake, there is a cockroach in the bathtub.

1  Thank itchandscratch

I am very sorry to read of your disappointment in your recent stay - and the visitor you had to your room must have been very irritating. It is always particularly upsetting to hear of issues after a guest has left rather than having the opportunity to fix them when still with us. The Square that is Masa is a very vibrant city centre piazza which we over look and share with three (presently) other businesses. We would have happily moved your room to the other side of the building so you could get some peace and I am so sorry you appear to have put up with the noise for a week.
The bug in your bath is a first for me and I will find out what went wrong in our pest control for him to make it into your room. My sincere apologies.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Hotel is modern and very comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the facilities are great. The restaurant in the hotel is good but there are also several options within the complex including a good steak restaurant that also has some good wine at reasonable prices.
I stayed here for 3 days for business, so hard for me to recommend as a leisure hotel because you are in a business district, but it worked for me.

Room Tip: I had a room with a view of the atrium, which I would avoid as you can't see much, but I wasn...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Rupert E, Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review - what a thrill to see you like the place - I hope you will be back.