Masa Square Hotel
StayWell Hotels(Gaborone)
$278
$111
Travelocity
All reviewsclub roomlansmore hotelbusiness districtrooftop barthird floorhotel is moderncoffee shopbusiness hotelroom servicebreakfast buffetreception staffbusiness triprooms are largestandard roomairport shuttleenjoyed my staygaborone sun
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This new and trendy hotel is well located next to a small mall with some shops, a cinema and a few restaurants, giving guests a choice of meal options. Our reservation was handled very efficiently and one of our party had to be collected from the airport which worked perfectly at no extra charge.

We stayed in a club room which was nicely decorated and fairly spacious with great room amenities. There was some confusion on check in as we were allocated to a room that had apparently just been given to someone else. The friendly porter picked up the error before we went upstairs and pointed it out to the reception staff. The wifi, although free, was intermittent and very slow. We stayed for one night only and did not dine in the hotel, choosing instead to dine at one of the restaurants in the mall. We were very surprised to find no fruit what so ever on the breakfast buffet - not even tinned or dried fruit. I asked a waitress why there was no fruit and she said that they did not have any. Eventually she came out with an apple and a pear on a plate for me. The breakfast buffet lacked any raw or healthy options like nuts or plain yoghurt too. Coffee service was very slow.

We look forward to staying here again and hope by then some of the early teething problems are sorted out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for your review of the hotel and while overall you seem to have enjoyed the place please accept my apologies for the various slips we made during your stay. We work hard with the team to iron out wrinkles and while disappointing to read that you experienced some, your feedback helps us with this.

I do hope you will come back to see us and watch us develop and improve further.

With kind regards

Rupert

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Part I: Botswana is a lovely, well run, rising nation in Southern Africa. I was impressed at the infrastructure and marveled at the pace of growth around me in Gabarone. Part II: The Lansmore Masa Square hotel is part of that growth. It is new - obviously managed by folks who have run hotels elsewhere - and run them well. That being said, this hotel is a work in progress. The rooms were spacious, clean, and well-appointed. The staff was friendly and responded to every request with smart, professional zeal. They haven't quite mastered the art of anticipating guest needs. And there were some essential business needs that they couldn't quite meet, such as reliable working internet - and no alarm clocks in the rooms - which required a daily wake up call request. They'll get tired of that last bit and provide alarm clocks for the rooms eventually. Also, the pool space is a wasted opportunity on the third floor roof. What should be a focal point of social activity - was relegated as a forgotten space. For three days straight the pool was closed for "cleaning," however, the remains of several parties (champagne bottles, ash trays, and beer cans) remained on the pool deck - giving it a quite neglected feel. Also, poor choice of installing a particle board bar top on the uncovered bar - warped and peeling. Come on, how many millions of dollars was spent to build an attractive modern hotel, and you couldn't spend another $1,000 on a granite top?

All in all, the Lansmore is nice, clean, comfortable, and friendly. I'm sure they'll work out the final details and rise well above the other top-end hotel choices in Gabarone. Certainly, at the Lansmore, you don't have the "casino crowd" in and out of the lobby as you find at the Gabarone Sun.

I'll give the Lansmore a couple more test runs before I enter my final verdict.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you so much for your largely very positive review - you have raised some interesting questions for us to ask of ourselves and the property for which thank you . We do have to finish off the pool deck and I am sorry you found it in a state when here. I am hopeful that our pool deck bar will open soon and yes we will get rid of that bar counter - poor show on my part -

Thank you again and please make yourself known to me on your next visit - I would love to meet you in person.

With warm wishes

Rupert

Reviewed February 5, 2013

A great hotel in Gabarone with friendly and attentive staff. Great for the business traveller with fast wi-fi, and a good restaurant or cafe option for meetings and meals in a good central location. The hotel has only recently opened but I understand that an experienced manager has come from the UK to manage it, and this shows. Accommodation is reasonably priced and I will use this hotel as my base in Gabarone forthwith.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Colin M
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your very kind review - this has brought a smile to our collective faces - so pleased you liked the place. Please come again soon

kind regards

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed in the relatively new hotel for business (2 nights). I was pleasantly surprised by the modern decor and the luxurious rooms.

Unfortunately, I was surprised by the following problems:
- Guest parking is not clearly marked when approaching the building. Worse still was the security guard pointing this out very assertively when I parked in front of reception to inquire about parking)
- I was astonished when arriving at breakfast at 6h40 in the morning only to find that the cooker used to preparing eggs was not hot enough. I had to wait until 7h00 until an egg could be prepared !....this was a first for me at any hotel, let alone a 5 start hotel
- Staff in the breakfast area are very numerous, however, it was difficult to attract the attention of the waiters for tea/coffee, and the chef was not attentive once I finally ordered breakfast
- WIFI connection is unusable: although staff indicated that there was an outage, there was no apology given to colleagues on the first night of our stay. On the second evening, the internet connection was again unstable. My technical colleagues were unnable to support me remotely, which meant I needed to stay on in the office to do the work (over telecon with the technical team) - very annoying! On arriving in the hotel later, I was unable to use Skype on the very poor internet connection. After I complained, an ethernet cable was provided, but that did not improve the connectivity. The most annoying thing is that the staff I raised these concerns with made as if I was the only person who had raised these issues. This when at least one of my colleagues raised this personnally with staff the evening before. Added to this, you can see from previous reviews in October 2012, that this does not seem to be an isolated problem. I actually took the time to perform a speed test on the connection, which indicated very poor average throughput (peak speed on http://www.speedtest.net was 2Mb/s)

Overall, a very pleasant hotel, however, the basics need to be convincingly covered to make this an automatic choice for business travelers.

Unfortunately not worthy of a 5 star rating, and value for money is questionable given the shortcomings. Perhaps more problematic than the issues, is the fact that some of my complaints seem to be issues which have been experienced since the hotel opened.

I would stay at the hotel again as it is clearly a league above the more established hotels, but I would expect to see significant improvement in all the areas I have mentioned given the premium charged.

Regards,
Business Traveler from SA

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

I am sorry to take so long to respond to your review which I read with increasing disappointment - I must apologise for the irritations and shortcomings you experienced in our new place - we do have some wrinkles to iron out and it is only with such frank and open criticism that we can improve. So while not pleasant to read your feedback, I thank you for it.

Please do get in touch with me personally prior to your next visit - I would welcome the opportunity to deal with your reservation myself and to have the opportunity to show you how we do things the rest of the time.

With renewed apologies,

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked into Lansmore at 17:30 on 4/02/2013. I did understand that the wireless facicilty is part of the service. I tried to connect since after arrival until about 21:00 on a on and off basis without success. I asked the lady at reception about it and she told me the server was down and it should work now. well I did test it at 04:00 on 05/02.2013 and it was still not working!
Please sort this out as for it is a option that is payed for and that is not working!

Regards,

WJ Bosch

1  Thank Wynand B

I am so sorry that the dramas we had with our WIFI impacted your stay so much - this must have been very frustrating. Even the best systems have bugs and I am sorry this blighted your experience - I would only comment that the WIFI is free to guests, not charged for.

I do hope you will try us again on your next visit to Gaborone - I assure you of our very best care.

With renewed apologies