“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Gaborone
London
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The entrance is impressive and the reception staff charming and helpful. But the reception area is sparsely furnished with just a few chairs and was not air conditioned - it was 35 degrees outside and not much cooler inside.
My room was not ready when I checked in mid-afternoon and they lent me another room to have a shower after a long haul flight so that I could get to a meeting. The room when I finally got it in the evening had scaffolding directly outside and overlooked a building site. It was, however, clean and comfortable, although a drawer in the beside unit would not close properly. The shower was lukewarm on one day and cold the next; and the shower screen leaked water all over the floor. I woke the next morning to find workers on the scaffolding directly outside of the window; they had woken me up early with their noise.
A colleague and I were not allowed to have lunch in the restaurant'... as there is a function in the hotel...' and the restaurant was full! So we went to the coffee shop - also run by the hotel - and waited 35 minutes for a club sandwich despite the fact that then place was nearly empty. I had to leave before the meal arrived to save being late for another meeting. And a coffee and croissant the following morning took 20 minutes. These times are OK for a tourist hotel but not for one targeting business travellers.
And a late night event with very loud music (mid week...) did not help getting to sleep either.
The gym mentioned by other reviewers is still not open. The free wireless was a bonus - and it works well.
All in all, a very mixed review. This is not a cheap hotel. The staff are charming and helpful but there is much to sort out at this hotel before it can realise its potential; the management really should have sorted out its teething problems by now. I'll stay at the Gaborone Sun next time and give this one a try again in a year or so.

Room Tip: Ask for one without scaffolding and not looking over a building site!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LondonMariner
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I am very sorry to read your review and of your disappointment in the place - we dropped the ball in several areas for which I sincerely apologise. Your time with us was far removed from the type of experience we strive to deliver and while I completely understand you wanting to try somewhere else please do contact me directly should you decide to come back here. I would like to handle your reservation personally.

Sincerely

Rupert Elliott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed at the at Hotel from the 20th to the 24th of jan. Checked into the hotel yet the key card scanner was not working hence got my room, but only got an entry card the following evening,( had the bellboy scan me in every time I needed to enter the room) breakfast was average, wifi works perfectly and is on the house( great advantage). please bear in mind this hotel has only one Genset and incase of a power cut - no air con, no sockets for charging and no room lights would work.. So good luck as Gabs does have it's share of power cuts. spent one entire night and morning without power.... the staff were very apologetic but never had proper answers. Let's hope they do improve their levels of service....and maybe get another Genset to cope up with their power cuts.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry you were not completely thrilled with your stay. A software failure on the key computer as well as a general area power cut could try anyone's patience and I can only apologise for the considerable inconvenience you encountered.

Our keys now work beautifully and our generator configuration is being addressed by those who should.

I do hope you will not write us off and in the event you come back, please contact me directly, I would like to handle your reservation personally.

With kind regards and renewed apologies

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Staying in Gabs for business and LMS was the perfect choice. Very new, modern, comfortable, service is excellent, breakfast included and delicious, free wireless (yay!). Hopefully they'll get their gym up and running soon! Will stay here again when I return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ciam2379
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review - we are all thrilled you liked the place and that you will be back. With warm regards

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The ratings from the TA community prompted me to stay at the Lansmore, and I must say it was a very good experience indeed. While my room was a bit small, it was very well laid out and everything was very new and clean. The bathrobes were a nice touch and so were the low-fat nibbles in the mini-bar (sans any beer for some reason!)...The room also had a work desk (without a chair) and a table that seemed redundant - removing it would actually give one more space...

The folks at housekeeping were efficient and produced an Ironing board/Iron for me in under 5-minutes...Check-in and Check-out were also handled efficiently by the front desk staff who made everything very smooth.

Lansmore is linked to a mall via an open quadrangle - where you have a choice of two other restaurants: Capellos & Beef Baron Grill and Rib. So all told you have a pretty decent dining options. That said, the hotel's kitchen is no slouch...Breakfast was very good indeed. They turned out an egg-white omelette for me without any fuss and it was cooked to perfection.

I really hope Lansmore continues to deliver the level of service I experienced. The Gym not being operational was a bit of a let down, but I really hope they get it operational before my next visit in January!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Heynomad
Thank you for your very kind report on our hotel. I am sorry we deprived you of a chair to sit and work at - very clumsy of us - but pleased you had a good time here as well as Masa Square itself.
With kind regards and thank you again

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I loved that the room was spacious and the bed comfortable. Plenty wall plugs in the room for those of us that travel with a lot of gadgets. Filter coffee with and the plunger a nice touch. Espretto had great cuppaccino. I'll be coming back...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank EugeneM2
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel - we are all so pleased you had a good time.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I was one of the first guests to stay in Lansmore Masa Square. and since then I went back I think about 7 or 8 times. I am also staying there for long visit 2 weeks or more. I think Gaborone needed this type of Hotel for a long time. Also the staff and Management is always helpful and friendly. Also willing to discuss Corporate rates!!

I do not think I will go elsewhere soon!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
How lovely to read your recent review of our place - how thrilling tot think we will be your home from home whilst in Gaborone.

With warm regards

Johannesburg
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed for a week as we were working in Gaborone. This hotel is new - a couple of teething problems - but overall good, clean rooms with ample working space, reasonable internet and dining options. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.I was personally sorry that the gym was not yet operational as there are almost no other workout options.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DineFrequently
Rupert E, General Manager at Masa Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your positive review of our place and your tolerance of our opening bugs - I am so sorry that you missed the gym - I am hoping to have it open early in the new year.

I am really thrilled that you found the team to be warm and friendly - that above all else means the most.

I do hope you will be back soon.

Kind regards