“Nice grounds and pool, great breakfast, but poor service”

Peermont Walmont at The Grand Palm
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Gaborone
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice grounds and pool, great breakfast, but poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel while I was in Gaborone for business. It was booked and paid for by my host. It's supposed to be a 5-star hotel, and one of the best in the city. Front desk staff were variable, some tried to be helpful, others were downright rude and difficult. Problems started with check-in. The room was not ready, so we were told to try checking in in a few hours. I didn't understand why he could not check us in then and we would get the keys later when the room would be ready. Instead he just refused take our information until the room was ready. There was nobody at the bell desk and we had to look for him to check our bags with while we waited for the room. The front desk staff didn't offer to help with the bags. When we finally checked in, we found out that the AC was not functional, and the room was noisy because all the AC units for that section of the hotel were installed on the roof just beneath the window. I went back to change the room. I knew the receptionist who checked us in would not be helpful, so I waited for someone else. This person was helpful, she talked to the manager and changed our rooms. Unfortunately, the AC in the second room didn't work well either. The room remained hot during the day during our entire stay. Other than that, the rooms were fine.

There was a problem with payment. My host had prepaid for my stay, but the front desk staff claimed there were no instructions regarding that. My host came to the hotel with receipts and talked to the reservations manager. He was reassured that the problem would be fixed and the system would be updated. However it was not. It took me several visits to the front office and arguing with the manager to resolve the problem. I had to be pretty insistent.

My wife wanted to take a city tour, but when she inquired with the front desk, they were clueless. They suggested that she take a taxi and ask the driver to give her a tour.

Wifi was not free, but reasonably price. I worked well once I got the right code, but getting the right code took some effort. I needed an iron and ironing board from housekeeping, and that also took considerable effort.

Breakfast was excellent. Lunch was also good. The bar food was ok. Evening entertainment was nice (piano bar and a very good singer after dinner). The pool area and the grounds were also pleasant, but it was at times very difficult to get the attention of the waiters to order drinks and food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Watsons Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

A one night stop with a business group. After a day on the road, cold beers by the spacious pool were most welcome. The rooms were fine - well appointed and comfortable, also very clean. What really impressed our group was our dinner in the steak house. We found the food quality wonderful, as was the service. And at a very reasonable price. We would definitely stay again here for business, but note WiFi service is not very good. Staff were most helpful in all areas. The bar and longer area was cosy, with decent bar food served.

Room Tip: Keep windows closed as there are many vervet monkeys.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a genuinely acceptable business type hotel. For US readers, think Marriott or Sheraton, without the "brand rigor". Rooms are fine, four star business quality. Staff are genuinely helpful. I sorely needed an I Phone charger, long story, separated from luggage, dealing with crisis matters on low battery, and the staff here came through when many other hotels would not have. Thank you particularly to Katligo in Guest Relations for her help.

The food and bar here are genuinely good. Rooms OK, but they are renovating (August 2012). I myst thank the staff here however for helping me out when I really needed their help. On the basis of a comfortable place to stay with good standards of food and drink, decent rooms, and a very helpful staff, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
George, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

the first surprise is the address "Bonnington Farm" I am looking forward to cows and horses and the outdoors? maybe a lion or two. Well, well welcome to Las Vegas. Definitly not 3rd world, reception well oiled clean and neat with smiles all round and a see through lobby with an inviting glimps of a very neat and well kept swimming pool area. Brollies up , shaded tables, and long cool cocktails.
Fortunatly I did not come to Africa to sit on the internet, I came for sun shine ,blue skies and wide open spaces of which I got plenty.
The service at the pool did take a while but being hungry for a good lunch does seem to make time drag and the food was good and worth the wait.
I found the room a bit small compared to similar hotels but I was not there to have a party in my room, however would have liked a bit more space.
An uneventful check out with no problems even though it was early, the coffee was good.
The view from my room over the bush plains was very soothing and was overwhelmingly cluttered with blue sky and lots and lots of wide open Africa.
The roads are good , the city is clean , the people friendly and helpful.
As I find gambling a very expensive boreing waste of time, I did not go to the casino and therefore am unable to comment.

Room Tip: My room on the 5th floor, I think it was 517, was right next to the elevator but I was not bothered...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Drymen76
Gaborone, Botswana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am based in Gaborone, so it was a rare 'treat' to get to stay in the Grand Palm during a recent conference. I have been a few times for drinks and social, and couldn't complain, other than the external aesthetic which is dull but not really much that can be done.

The experience of staying here, however, dulled my excitement considerably. First, the highs: the dinner, lunch and breakfast buffets are decent, a diverse selection of well-prepared food - there's something for most tastes and appetites - the only danger being to take too much. The gardens are nice, the amenities reasonable, and the service is better than average for Gabs (though could be more efficient and attentive to detail). I also like that they offer free pick ups and drop offs to the airport - a big plus.

The disappointments, though, were quite fundamental - firstly, the front desk systems broke down 3 times during my stay causing significant disruption across the hotel; second, the hotel telephone system - which was supposed to be offline for 1 day for repairs - seemed to be broken for all 4 days; third, the noise from the bar and the lifts carries into the rooms, day and night, and disturbs sleep; fourth, the rooms - bedroom and bathroom - seem tired and in need of refit; fifth, the internet service is poor and grotesquely overpriced; sixth, the business centre in the next door convention centre were unable to properly handle a sizable but not ordinarily overbearing requirement for printing and copying (and the hours of business on the door are not the reality).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

This place is by no means a a five star but it would be a very good 4 if it wasn't for a couple of issues.
The big issue here is unacceptably poor internet service that they have the temerity to charge huge prices for while it basically just doesn't work beyond very basic low bandwith use. Also the 15$ a day charge is per device and can only be transferred by logging off one device through a ridiculously bad password/ token system. The country has quite good broadband services so there is no excuse for this failing.

The rooms are a bit tired but with a new Lonhro hotel opening nearby there is a big refurb going on.

Other than that its a nice hotel the grounds are lovely and the staff, like everyone you meet in Botswana, are exceptionally nice and helpful. The food is above average. and their steakhouse restaurant is very good and very well run.

Room Tip: The refurb is being done floor by floor so look for a new room when they come onstream soon
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Comfortable rooms and public areas. Super convenient access to the adjacent conference centre. We ate there a couple of times and the food was good too. Service is a bit sluggish. WiFi is not free in the room, which is annoying.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business