“The place of choice to stay in Gaborone”

Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort
Durban, South Africa
“The place of choice to stay in Gaborone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Phakalane golf course hotel

I chose the main restaurant because of my poor experience at the halfway house the last visit. The drinks were delivered in a flash. No ice in the rock shandy which was rectified immediately.
My starter was a Caesar salad. Very nice but huge. Enough for a main course and I left a pile of croutons.
Chicken livers peri peri starter portion for mains. Well presented and tasty but not peri peri. They lacked the bite of a decent peri sauce. No garlic or Birdseye chillie in this dish. Possibly aimed at the faint hearted who don't appreciate a hot sauce.
Pretty decent fare all round.
Then came the breakfast experience
Breakfast at Phakalane hotel

This establishment wakes very slowly.
Six forty five in Africa is not early and on arrival, the buffet was no where near ready with the juice machine nowhere in sight.
Fruit salad made of apples snd pears,canned peaches and guavas with cling wrapped cold cuts and slices of yellow cheddar cheese.
The coffee was at least hot
I had fruit salad and coffee to await my omelet.
Clearly cooked on a griddle that was not hot enough, the omelette was stewed rather than fried.
The super experience of last night was lost in the morning.
Same restaurant but not the same staff.

• Stayed May 2013
Bram H, Guest Relations Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Ray E,

Thank you for your detailed report on your experience at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort. We do apologise for your poor experience at The Feather’s restaurant on your last visit.

Thank you for your positive comments on the Drotsky’s restaurant and food received – we will definitely look at adding more of a bite to the Peri Peri Chicken Livers.

With regards to the slow set-up of breakfast during your stay, this is not what we aim to achieve, and an improvement plan is in place. With regards to the food, we are currently working on updating our breakfast menu, so hopefully the next time you visit we can meet your tastes.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest Regards

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Gaborone, Botswana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in a number of hotels in Botswana and I have to say that this s the best I have been in. The location is in a golf estate, about 15 km from the city centre.

The reception is beautiful but the staff attitude is "tired" to say the least. They are not energetic. The list of all the guests in the hotel was displayed inadvently for anyone who cared to look... that's privacy for you. The check in too a bit long. Once I left the reception the annoyance was turned into pure bliss.

The rooms are big spacious and magnificent. The furniture is top notch. There bathroom include a tub and separate shower. The wall between the bathtub and he bedroom is made of sliding glass allowing access to the TV etc when bathing. The art work on the headboard is to the Okavango delta. There is a bar inside the room .

The views outside my room included the magnificent golf course and some stunning mansions in the background. There is a swimming pool that blends with a dam/ pond.

The place to stay definitely

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank impudzi
Dear Impudzi,

Thank you for the review on the hotel, your feedback is valuable to us. I do apologise about the service you experienced at the reception desk. The issues raised have been addressed with the manager concerned and we are looking into a ongoing training program or the reception team, once again apologies that the experience at the reception and the delay in check-in caused such annoyance.

Thank you for all the passionate comments about our hotel rooms, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Calne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

the views are immense and the sunsets gorgeous! If I were ever to get married I would drag the other half half way across the world to do it here. Absolutely stunning place. We had cocktails on the balcony watching the world go by and it was so tranquil and I felt very relaxed

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank helenar0se
Dear Helenar0se,

Thank you for your kind comments about The Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, If you were to get married, we do hope to host that beautiful day here for you.

We are so glad to hear that your stay was tranquil and relaxed; we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards

Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just got home from an awful experience at the Phakalane Golf Estate Easter brunch. We had been looking forward to this brunch as a nice way to celebrate Easter in a different setting from your typical Gaborone meal. The morning got off to a rocky start when we showed up at 11:40 for our 11:30 reservation, only to be told that we had to wait because the buffet was still being set up. Waiters and staff were hectically carrying tables and chairs and buffet items to the outdoor seating area, and it was apparent that the buffet would not start until at least 12:30, one hour past the start time I had been told when I made the reservation a week ago. However we did not mind this too much at first because this is Botswana and everyone is always running behind, and we were offered a nice glass of sparkling wine and took the opportunity to enjoy the view.

However, things quickly started to go downhill even further when, 20 minutes later, we asked to be shown to our table (the buffet was STILL being set up). The table that they reserved for us was probably the worst table in the entire place, with no view, far from the buffet and right in between two sets of double doors going into the lobby. I should add that we were the only ones there besides two other families and only one table in the whole place was occupied at that point. I asked to be moved to another table, and the staff were NOT HAPPY about this and grumbled amongst themselves. Finally we were shown to the other side of the balcony and were told to sit at a tiny card table that was squeezed in between three larger tables, also did not have a view, and was right next to some sort of hot grill. I asked again to be seated by the balcony so that we could enjoy the view and got more grumbling in response. At this point an extremely arrogant and snobby manager came over and told us that we could not sit by the balcony, because this would require them to redo their entire seating chart and it was too inconvenient to move a table for us. We were told that we could not sit at one of the four person tables set up by the balcony because there were only two of us. He said, "Go wait in the lobby." in an extremely rude tone, as if we were inconveniencing him greatly and then turned his back on us. There was still no one else in the restaurant besides two other families and we could not understand why it was such a problem to let us sit in a decent table, especially given that the whole place was completely empty and we had made the reservation a week in advance!

Finally we decided to just leave and spend our Easter morning elsewhere. Also, by this point it was 12:20 and the buffet still wasn't ready?!?! Craziness. on the way out, another manager approached us and tried to convince us to stay but by that point the rude attitude of the staff had already ruined the place for us. Again this was an Easter brunch we were looking forward to. We were initially impressed by the attractive setting and nice offer of a glass of sparkling wine, but I have to say that we will not go back to this place and we will also tell our friends in town not to go there unless they want to put up with arrogant and inconsiderate service. Really disappointed, there is so much potential in this place but once again, as happens too many times in Botswana, it's ruined by the terrible service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JanetShanghai
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Janet,

First of all my apologies on your Easter Brunch experience last Sunday. We definitely had a rocky start and it is a shame we couldn't convince you to stay and enjoy the rest of the day.

We will work on the issues raised. Thank you very much for your honest feedback.
We can only hope you will reconsider and give us another chance in the future.

Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

After the intense Conference day, we were hosted to a reception/cocktail at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel. We the delegates were treated to great food, drinks and a live band together with music of the East and Southern African region! We indugled while spreading out to the golf grounds and the pool. Only time wasn't on our side! It was a great evening!

Recommended for those taking a longer time to savour the enviornment and great service at the Hotel.

Annet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Annet,

We are delighted to hear that you had an amazing time here at Phakalane Golf Estate. Thanks a lot for your kind comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the cocktail party especially since it was your last impression while visiting Botswana. To organize large events for 500 guests like the one you attended is a daunting task and we are ecstatic to get this great feedback on our food, drinks and service.

We all hope to welcome you back soon!

Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Website photos don't do this place justice. Very large facility. Beautifully maintained golf course. Excellent, but expensive, rooms. Friendly, respectful, attentive, service staff. The only complaint is the restaurant. Buffet breakfast and lunch tasty, just a limited variety of options, but this may be a function of the limited foot traffic. Not certain if the water is safe to drink. Tried drinking just bottled water, but it was expensive. Wish there was a little convenience store to simply stock up on things like bottled water instead of ordering one at a time. All of the staff were very helpful and friendly, and had a great sense of humor so I overlooked the water situation. Recommend the friendly pickup at the airport as I don't think this location could be found easily on your own without a GPS.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Watertraveller2010,

Thank you very much for your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed the athmosphere created by our friendly team of staff. We are looking forward to seeing you back again and we will work on the issues raised.

Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Feathers restaurant Pakalane Golf Course

Alone on Valentines day in Gaborone at a disappointing restaurant.

The Feathers at the golf club was my only option as the main restaurant was fully booked for locals for a candle light dinner celebrating this great day.

I sat down inside where the air conditioner had some sway over the temperature.
I was delivered a wonderful cold beer virtually on sitting Dow. The menu took a little longer, three requests and 16 minutes.
The wine list was small and the Sauv-blanc was 2010. Oops that would have been a little tired I am sure.the house red was Arniston Bay and I took a chance. It was delivered at warmer than the ambient in the restaurant. Ice saved the day.
First out of the menu folder the "halfway house menu" at 8:20 pm?I know there is a golf club here but that's ridiculous.
The offer was quite extensive , Sushi, steak from the grill, Chinese from the wok and wraps for the not so hungry.
Well I am a million miles from the sea, Sushi? I think not!
Wraps were out as I had started in Windhoek this morning and now needed some substance in a meal.
Hell! I am in Botswana, one of the renowned beef producing nations, steak it must be!
Well, well thirty eight minutes before I was able to place my order. Medium rare fillet, pepper sauce and a baked potato. Not bad for a guy away from home. I did not want to ask if salad was available in the place of the starch.
Horrors, the guys behind the grill have just disappeared? Where is my steak?
They are back, 13 minutes for a leg stretch I hope and nothing else?
Dam, they have gone again?Where is my steak?
The chef has just appeared from nowhere, plate in hand.
Plate cold, steak cold, baked potato cold, no cutlery and my house wine glass is empty. The cutlery arrives and the knife is dirty?
The fillet has been butterflied on a bed of stirfry, no salt? Another 10 minutes?
The fillet is well done to a crisp.
If I was not hungry as hell I would have walked out!
Now my wine glass is empty. I question if I have the time to wait for a second glass if I order it? I nevertook the chance.
The cost was equal to about 3 days labour is USD terms for the average African wage.
People don't eat at this establishment!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Ray E
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Ray E,

Thank you very much for your detailed and passionate report. I am sorry you had a less than satisfactory dining experience at our Feather's restaurant. Admittedly the focus was on the Valentines Dinner upstairs, but there is no excuse for dirty cutlery and sub standard food quality.

Your steak was prepared by our Chef de Partie from Drotsky's restaurant, hence the chef dissapearing from the grill downstairs to pick up your steak. The Sauvignon Blanc is from 2012 indeed, we need to change that on the menu. Thanks for pointing it out.

My apologies for the slow service, we will work on improving the speed of service in particular.

Food and Beverage Manager