“Best accomodation in Botswana”

Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have stayed in a number of hotels in Botswana and I have to say that this s the best I have been in. The location is in a golf estate, about 15 km from the city centre.

The reception is beautiful but the staff attitude is "tired" to say the least. They are not energetic. The list of all the guests in the hotel was displayed inadvently for anyone who cared to look... that's privacy for you. The check in too a bit long. Once I left the reception the annoyance was turned into pure bliss.

The rooms are big spacious and magnificent. The furniture is top notch. There bathroom include a tub and separate shower. The wall between the bathtub and he bedroom is made of sliding glass allowing access to the TV etc when bathing. The art work on the headboard is to the Okavango delta. There is a bar inside the room .

The views outside my room included the magnificent golf course and some stunning mansions in the background. There is a swimming pool that blends with a dam/ pond.

The place to stay definitely

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank impudzi
Bram H, Guest Relations Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Impudzi,

Thank you for the review on the hotel, your feedback is valuable to us. I do apologise about the service you experienced at the reception desk. The issues raised have been addressed with the manager concerned and we are looking into a ongoing training program or the reception team, once again apologies that the experience at the reception and the delay in check-in caused such annoyance.

Thank you for all the passionate comments about our hotel rooms, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Femida Noble

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed May 4, 2013

the views are immense and the sunsets gorgeous! If I were ever to get married I would drag the other half half way across the world to do it here. Absolutely stunning place. We had cocktails on the balcony watching the world go by and it was so tranquil and I felt very relaxed

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank helenar0se

Dear Helenar0se,

Thank you for your kind comments about The Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, If you were to get married, we do hope to host that beautiful day here for you.

We are so glad to hear that your stay was tranquil and relaxed; we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards

Femida Noble

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just got home from an awful experience at the Phakalane Golf Estate Easter brunch. We had been looking forward to this brunch as a nice way to celebrate Easter in a different setting from your typical Gaborone meal. The morning got off to a rocky start when we showed up at 11:40 for our 11:30 reservation, only to be told that we had to wait because the buffet was still being set up. Waiters and staff were hectically carrying tables and chairs and buffet items to the outdoor seating area, and it was apparent that the buffet would not start until at least 12:30, one hour past the start time I had been told when I made the reservation a week ago. However we did not mind this too much at first because this is Botswana and everyone is always running behind, and we were offered a nice glass of sparkling wine and took the opportunity to enjoy the view.

However, things quickly started to go downhill even further when, 20 minutes later, we asked to be shown to our table (the buffet was STILL being set up). The table that they reserved for us was probably the worst table in the entire place, with no view, far from the buffet and right in between two sets of double doors going into the lobby. I should add that we were the only ones there besides two other families and only one table in the whole place was occupied at that point. I asked to be moved to another table, and the staff were NOT HAPPY about this and grumbled amongst themselves. Finally we were shown to the other side of the balcony and were told to sit at a tiny card table that was squeezed in between three larger tables, also did not have a view, and was right next to some sort of hot grill. I asked again to be seated by the balcony so that we could enjoy the view and got more grumbling in response. At this point an extremely arrogant and snobby manager came over and told us that we could not sit by the balcony, because this would require them to redo their entire seating chart and it was too inconvenient to move a table for us. We were told that we could not sit at one of the four person tables set up by the balcony because there were only two of us. He said, "Go wait in the lobby." in an extremely rude tone, as if we were inconveniencing him greatly and then turned his back on us. There was still no one else in the restaurant besides two other families and we could not understand why it was such a problem to let us sit in a decent table, especially given that the whole place was completely empty and we had made the reservation a week in advance!

Finally we decided to just leave and spend our Easter morning elsewhere. Also, by this point it was 12:20 and the buffet still wasn't ready?!?! Craziness. on the way out, another manager approached us and tried to convince us to stay but by that point the rude attitude of the staff had already ruined the place for us. Again this was an Easter brunch we were looking forward to. We were initially impressed by the attractive setting and nice offer of a glass of sparkling wine, but I have to say that we will not go back to this place and we will also tell our friends in town not to go there unless they want to put up with arrogant and inconsiderate service. Really disappointed, there is so much potential in this place but once again, as happens too many times in Botswana, it's ruined by the terrible service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JanetShanghai
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Janet,

First of all my apologies on your Easter Brunch experience last Sunday. We definitely had a rocky start and it is a shame we couldn't convince you to stay and enjoy the rest of the day.

We will work on the issues raised. Thank you very much for your honest feedback.
We can only hope you will reconsider and give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

After the intense Conference day, we were hosted to a reception/cocktail at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel. We the delegates were treated to great food, drinks and a live band together with music of the East and Southern African region! We indugled while spreading out to the golf grounds and the pool. Only time wasn't on our side! It was a great evening!

Recommended for those taking a longer time to savour the enviornment and great service at the Hotel.

Annet.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Annet,

We are delighted to hear that you had an amazing time here at Phakalane Golf Estate. Thanks a lot for your kind comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the cocktail party especially since it was your last impression while visiting Botswana. To organize large events for 500 guests like the one you attended is a daunting task and we are ecstatic to get this great feedback on our food, drinks and service.

We all hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Website photos don't do this place justice. Very large facility. Beautifully maintained golf course. Excellent, but expensive, rooms. Friendly, respectful, attentive, service staff. The only complaint is the restaurant. Buffet breakfast and lunch tasty, just a limited variety of options, but this may be a function of the limited foot traffic. Not certain if the water is safe to drink. Tried drinking just bottled water, but it was expensive. Wish there was a little convenience store to simply stock up on things like bottled water instead of ordering one at a time. All of the staff were very helpful and friendly, and had a great sense of humor so I overlooked the water situation. Recommend the friendly pickup at the airport as I don't think this location could be found easily on your own without a GPS.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Watertraveller2010,

Thank you very much for your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed the athmosphere created by our friendly team of staff. We are looking forward to seeing you back again and we will work on the issues raised.

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Feathers restaurant Pakalane Golf Course

Alone on Valentines day in Gaborone at a disappointing restaurant.

The Feathers at the golf club was my only option as the main restaurant was fully booked for locals for a candle light dinner celebrating this great day.

I sat down inside where the air conditioner had some sway over the temperature.
I was delivered a wonderful cold beer virtually on sitting Dow. The menu took a little longer, three requests and 16 minutes.
The wine list was small and the Sauv-blanc was 2010. Oops that would have been a little tired I am sure.the house red was Arniston Bay and I took a chance. It was delivered at warmer than the ambient in the restaurant. Ice saved the day.
First out of the menu folder the "halfway house menu" at 8:20 pm?I know there is a golf club here but that's ridiculous.
The offer was quite extensive , Sushi, steak from the grill, Chinese from the wok and wraps for the not so hungry.
Well I am a million miles from the sea, Sushi? I think not!
Wraps were out as I had started in Windhoek this morning and now needed some substance in a meal.
Hell! I am in Botswana, one of the renowned beef producing nations, steak it must be!
Well, well thirty eight minutes before I was able to place my order. Medium rare fillet, pepper sauce and a baked potato. Not bad for a guy away from home. I did not want to ask if salad was available in the place of the starch.
Horrors, the guys behind the grill have just disappeared? Where is my steak?
They are back, 13 minutes for a leg stretch I hope and nothing else?
Dam, they have gone again?Where is my steak?
The chef has just appeared from nowhere, plate in hand.
Plate cold, steak cold, baked potato cold, no cutlery and my house wine glass is empty. The cutlery arrives and the knife is dirty?
The fillet has been butterflied on a bed of stirfry, no salt? Another 10 minutes?
The fillet is well done to a crisp.
If I was not hungry as hell I would have walked out!
Now my wine glass is empty. I question if I have the time to wait for a second glass if I order it? I nevertook the chance.
The cost was equal to about 3 days labour is USD terms for the average African wage.
People don't eat at this establishment!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Ray E
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Ray E,

Thank you very much for your detailed and passionate report. I am sorry you had a less than satisfactory dining experience at our Feather's restaurant. Admittedly the focus was on the Valentines Dinner upstairs, but there is no excuse for dirty cutlery and sub standard food quality.

Your steak was prepared by our Chef de Partie from Drotsky's restaurant, hence the chef dissapearing from the grill downstairs to pick up your steak. The Sauvignon Blanc is from 2012 indeed, we need to change that on the menu. Thanks for pointing it out.

My apologies for the slow service, we will work on improving the speed of service in particular.

Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed December 10, 2012

This must be one of the best places to stay in Gabs. Comfortable modern rooms. Wi-Fi throughout and the general services one expects from a good hotel, especially when on business. Food out on the terrace next to the pool was great. Drinks aren't cheap, but quite typical of hotel prices. Being situated on the golf course, one has an ideal opportunity to fit in a quick round or just take a stroll before or after work. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Croixant
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Croixant,

Thank you so much for your positive review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will pass on your nice remarks to all team members of the hotel and the Clubhouse. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Let me take this opportunity to wish you a great Christmas and all the best wishes for 2013 from all of us at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort.