“Pleasant and would love to go back”

Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort
Kampala
“Pleasant and would love to go back”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Geneally great place. Fabulous well spaced rooms. I liked the bathroom opening up into the room. Fantastic golf course with Great walkway which should be updated with signage as to distance from hotel and directions in case one gets caught up for time. The service could improve and be better. On one day, the soap and bath towels were not replenished. Also for the sun facing rooms, the creeps need to be better at reflecting the sun's rays. All in all, would go back, as it's tranquil and we received the most helpful service when we needed a quick checked from the manager. Good bar and some fab cocktails.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Azikag
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Azikag,

Thanks for your great comments, we appreciate them!
The bathroom opening up into the room indeed gives a very spacious feel to the room. I have passed on your comments regarding replenishment of bathroom amenities and towels to our Rooms Division Manager. I am especially pleased you enjoyed our Cocktail menu, we pride ourselves being the only establishment in Botswana that serves Pinky Vodka, Snowleopard Vodka and our bartenders make some very exotic drinks with other Super Premium brands as well! Thanks again!

Bram Hendriks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Gaborone
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

A wonderful place to enjoy your holiday. Few places on earth offer such tranquility, yet so much is happening around. The rooms are first class and have all essential services available even for the most sophisticated traveller.
The WiFi was slow or unavailable, but I guess there will be improvement on that.
A real nice hotel to stay while you visit Botswana.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank ruzemvya
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Ruzemvya,

Thank you so much for your response. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your words describe an oasis of tranquility and that is exactly what we are aiming for. I will share your comments regarding the WIFI with our IT professionals, so we can tackle that issue immediately.

We are also proud to announce that for the second consecutive year Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort has scooped the "Botswana's Leading Hotel" Award at the World Travel Awards.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here one night for a business conference. The facility, common areas, and guest rooms were very clean and up to date. I did not use the pool, but wanted to. I had a view of the pool from my room, and it looked very inviting. The staff was pleasant and provided good service. I would highly recommend this place to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kim L
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Kim C,

Thank you for your kind comments. We always appreciate any feedback from our guests and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your remarks to our entire team here at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort.

Food and Beverage Manager
Luanda, Angola
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great room, very clean, good amenities though when we stayed the water pressure was low due to city council upgrades. Staff in the hotel even waited for me to return to clean the room because I forgot my do not disturb sign on. Overall a great hotel with a great view over the golf course. The resturant was well stocked with an impressive range of wine and the food taste was good with an excellent range of choices. The service was slow, real slow. It's Botswana most people would say, there is no rush here. Overall a great stay and you adapt to where you are.

Room Tip: Get a groud floor room, it's great to walk out onto the grass and pool area or just sit outside...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Maputo,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the hotel rooms and the quality and variety of wines and food on the Drotsky's menu. As you might have noticed we have one page of the menu with Specialities on the menu, which we are changing weekly to keep a good variety.

I am sorry to hear that the service on the day was very slow. I will revisit this with my team this afternoon when I will host our monthly meeting, in which we will also conduct some training especially in customer service.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed September 6, 2012

my second time in a row to stay in this Hotel, a very FAB PAD in the middle of desert, product and amenities par excellence to international level and standard , but this time around service was indifferent with management rude and unhelpful, that being the case i would not least expect anything better from their lower level staff.

to give you an example, how can room service send you hot food without cuttlery and condiments especially so the kitchen is a good ten minutes walk away?

why would the hotel agree to your requests and the next the managemnt decides to be indeffenrent?

the upside was Simon, The IT guru, he was FANTASTIC, he sorted wifi setting on my laptop. so i was back to business as usual , in a hotel room which was exactly like any other anywhere else in the world connected to my office and staff back home.

i would highly recomend this hotel to anyone who is NOT as demanding NOR fussy about service and customer care.

perfect place to Golf or get Holed up in a FAB boutique hotel room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MustafaHassanali
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear MustafaHasanali,

Thank you for your review. We always strive to improve our service and your comments are a valuable tool to us. I apologize you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us and the rude management especially concerns me. If you wish to elaborate further regarding your remarks, please don't hesitate to contact me on bhendriks@phakalane.co.bw.

I have spoken to my roomservice team regarding the lapse in basic service and we are working on an improvement plan. Thanks again for pointing out the flaws.

Let me pass on your nice comments to Simon, who is indeed very helpful and customer focused. Let me know when you are visiting next time and we can have a coffee together and discuss any comments.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a gem in Gaborone. I loved staying in this hotel. The staff is friendly, very professional and extremely helpful. The rooms are big and very modern. The rooms are clean and has a flatscreen television to keep you entertained. I will stay here again any day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RenaChristo
Dear RenaChristo,

We are very excited that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I personally like to thank you for you kind remarks. I have passed on your comments to our staff and have posted your review on the notice board of our staff canteen.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is my first stay at the Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel. It's nicely appointed - not outstanding - however, it is good by Botswana standards. The hotel is comfortable, clean, with lovely views from the rooms (if you are on the side facing the golf course; other side looks over the parking lot) and it's possible to go for long walks or runs in a safe environment. I enjoyed the sushi for lunch in their restaurant. Breakfast is a bit chaotic and you have to request the toast which takes forever, but if you don't have a schedule to keep early in the morning, it is fine. My husband is a frequent traveler to Botswana and cannot figure out why they don't put a couple of toasters out by the buffet for guests to make their own toast as every time he goes for breakfast he has the same experience.

The showers are very poorly thought out. The shower head faces the door and so when you turn on the tap, the water shoots out into the bathroom. I ended up taking a bath because the shower was flooding the floor while I was trying to figure out which direction was hot and which cold (not marked on the tap). I was in a rush and didn't want to wait for extra towels to be delivered if I used all of them to soak up the water on the floor.

I found the staff to be quite helpful.

A drawback is that there is no ATM machine on the premises. I arrived without any pula because I just assumed I could get some at the hotel or nearby but the closest place is around 2 km away.

Overall, I can recommend the place and would/will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Danette D,

Thank you for chosing Phakalane as your destination during your recent vist from Namibia.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the sushi for lunch. I have taken your breakfast comments into consideration and we are in the process of upgrading our buffet selection. Both the new Executive Chef and I have worked with Hilton in the past and we have updated our breakfast buffet to international standards.

I 100% agree with the "toast issue" at breakfast and we have invested in a new commercial rotary toaster, which will be here next week and will illiminate your early morning frustrations regarding toast.

Regarding the showers, unfortunately there is not much I can do about that at the moment.

I have passed on your recommendation of the ATM to the owners. Until we sort this out, please ask the hotel driver to take you to the nearest ATM's at Mowane Shopping Centre, app 3 minutes drive, which he will be happy to do free of charge.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your husband back soon!

Food and Beverage Manager