“A High End Backpackers For A Decent Price.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gaborone
Mokolodi Backpackers
London, United Kingdom
“A High End Backpackers For A Decent Price.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here during my overland trip across Africa. A great hostel with very friendly staff. Hendrik, the owner, has a very fastidious eye for cleanliness and takes great pride in keeping the place to the highest standard. The buses run quite often just 5 minutes walk from the hostel and take you to the centre of Gaborone just 10 minutes drive away. They don't serve food for guests here, but a restaurant at the nature reserve just 5 minutes drive up the road has a fantastic range of dishes which I'd recommend visiting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here fro 3 nights back in April and had a really nice time. Then yesterday, I found myself a little stuck in Gabs, so called these guys around 3pm on Saturday afternoon. The had a bed for me, and could pick me up from the airport for a sensible fee, which arrived spot on time, no problem. I arrived at 8.30pm, was shown my nice, clean, comfortable room, and I went and made myself a nice free cup of tea in their spotless kitchen, had a little dip in their cooling pool and slept safe and sound in my bed. Then this morning, I paid my P185 and they arranged me another safe, reasonable, prompt lift to the border. I would not book a 7 days holiday here, but would, and probably will very happily go here again and again for a night or 2. Great stuff - keep up the good work - thanks for all your help Kelly x

Room Tip: Any - I requested a dorm and got it to myself
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Owner was friendly and helpful. Great communal kitchen (how often can you say that?) with clean bathroom facilities. The camping area, isn't quite a camping area, but considering we just needed somewhere to pitch a tent, it suited us fine. Great location is you wanting to go into Mokolodi Game Reserve.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Redding, California
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I loved this little hostel of impressively clean, tastefully-decorated huts and facilities (thank you so much for the very clean, nice bathrooms, too!) . The animals were a nice touch, and the staff were great! For the price, a terrific deal, though you'll need to either hitchhike your way between the town centre and there, or factor in some taxi money for that. There's a nature reserve not far from Mokolodi Backpackers, which is a nice plus.

Room Tip: Further from the shared kitchen area is quieter at night, though ppl are generally courteous and qui...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank m h
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The venue is about a 5 minute drive from Gaberone, a bit hard to find with no signage available, and at the end of the a dust street, again with no sign out front (perhaps for security?). The venue is almost typical of an African "kraal" or community of huts, with the different pricing groups separated into enclaved sections.

We paid for the private chalet and everything to do with the accommodation was in order. It was tastefully decorated and clean, with private bathroom and kitchen stocked with some bare essentials and suitable utilities. Adapters were included in the rooms and daily service ensured the rooms were neat.

Apart from the trick of finding the place, the hassle was more about the administrative confusion - we did arrive late, but over the two days it was really confusing to find someone in charge to make payment. My other slight gripe is that the communal feel of a backpacker was a short of the top offerings. There seem to be parts of the property that are off limit and we ended up watching movies on our phones in our bedrooms, because there was nothing obvious to do.

Overall though, keeping in mind that you're in a third world country, I have no qualms recommending Mokolodi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Erichero
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed in one of the deluxe cabins at Mokolodi and were very impressed with the whole experience. Although the property is about 10km out of Gaborone, we thought the location was excellent. The neighborhood is quiet and peaceful and only a short walk from the Mokolodi nature reserve. We found a number of walking/running trails in the bush around the hotel and went for some good hikes and runs during our stay.

Our room was a beautiful African style rondavel complete with ensuite bathroom and a kitchenette. The room was very airy and had nice furniture and fittings, was spotlessly clean and well-maintained. There was no TV but the AC unit worked really well. Internet is generally available however we arrived the day after a wind storm which knocked out the comms tower. Hopefully it’ll be up and running soon.

The hotel grounds are really nice – mature trees and colorful gardens all centered around an inviting pool in the center of the courtyard. A menagerie of domestic animals roam around the grounds – dogs, cats, pig, and various birds – all friendly and quiet. This was a big bonus for us. The place appeared to be very secure, surrounded by a wall, electric fence and remote controlled gate, although I don’t really think it was all necessary. The hosts were very friendly and helped us out with all our questions.

They advertize camping on the grounds, but I think we would’ve been disappointed if we had planned on camping. The camping area seemed fairly cramped and confined, not really designed for campers. However it may be better than the alternatives in Gaborone.

Overall, we could find very little to fault the place and would definitely recommend it to other travelers. If we were passing this way again, we would definitely stay here again. Good value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanO68
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stopped for 2 nights on a short trip to Gaberone. The hotel is just a short ride from the Mokolodi Game Reserve and you have lots of domestic animals around you at your stay.
I got a 2 bed cabin by myself. It was decorated in true African style with antilope hides instead of rugs.
The bathroom was across the yard and there was also a swimming pool and some deck chairs to sit and relax after seing the animals at the game reserve.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo