“service at the fleuma”

Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Luanda
gauteng
“service at the fleuma”
Reviewed January 24, 2007

The price is sky high, the rating very low. I can not complain about the service because there is no service. The swimming pool, I could not find it. I asked for a LAN cable, got it the next day. The breakfast, just go without it. I spoke to the manager about it all and more, all I got from him was "sorry sir". I wish I can find this Mr. Sorry because he is in big trouble, it seems that every thing that goes wrong in Africa is blamed on him.

• Liked — Near the airport about 1 hour's drive
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
19 Thank travellergauteng

Families
Couples
England
Reviewed October 29, 2006

I understand that you need to give at least 2 months notice to get into one of the “main” hotels in Luanda and the company couldn’t get me in anywhere other than Fleuma. I was told the hotel is very new but it didn’t really feel like it. It is close to the airport (as you can tell from the sound of low-flying aircraft) and it took about an hour and half (or more) each way into the city at peak times. When I arrived I was shown to a small room with almost no natural light and, it turned out, no seat on the toilet (though one was fitted later in the day), nowhere to hang clothes and only one power socket for the whole room (for the empty fridge). Eventually (only 4 hours after a move was promised) I managed to move to a larger room but it was still on the ground floor with a view into an external corridor and the only place to sit and work was at a stool by the dressing table. At least I found an electrical extension lead so I could have the fridge (so noisy it had to be switched off at night), bedside light and computer switched on at the same time. There is a small TV, only viewable from the bed, with an odd selection of satellite channels which seemed to change from day to day. The next morning I woke up to find that my bathroom (well, shower room) door was locked from the inside (luckily the restaurant was open and has a toilet) and it took them 3 hours to get someone to open the door. One day they didn’t clean the room until 7pm. I was unable to make any outside calls (though they may have fixed that by now). The only public areas consist of a few settees by the reception (which isn’t manned all the time) and the basic restaurant (with a limited bar service). The publicity about the hotel opening mentioned a swimming pool but if there is one it’s very well-hidden (as is the coffee shop and the shop). The hotel isn’t in the sort of area where one can go for a walk outside. The food really isn’t very good - the breakfast is a very basic continental and they don’t replace anything once it has been finished. In the evening there is a “buffet” with a choice of two main courses and a few vegetables, again not replenished, followed by crème caramel (every day). They say the hotel has two stars but one is nearer the mark, certainly when I stayed. Having said all that I didn’t get sick, the place is clean and some of the staff speak some English. If you’re stuck for a bed for a night or so it might serve a purpose but be warned that it was almost full when I was there (with a party of construction workers) and it isn’t even cheap. Next time I’ll definitely give plenty of notice before I visit.

[This is a new hotel - see press report at [""] to confirm identity - the hotel address is Rua 21 de Janeiro, Bairro Morro Bento, Rotunda do Gamek. Luanda]

27 Thank KK06

Travelers are raving about these Luanda hotels