All reviews rooms are clean the upper floors reception desk sandwich avenida portugal
Selected filters
Reviewed February 13, 2019

Firstly, it is important to put this review in the context that we are talking about Africa and one always expects less in Africa, which is sad to say but true. Firstly, I have to say that the hotel is clean and well-located.

I've stayed in this hotel twice and had very different experiences with the rooms. The first time I arrived, my room was fine and I paid at the end. The second time I arrived, the reception insisted that I paid in advance, which I do not like, and then gave me a terrible room (511). It was right above a noisy (all night long) intersection, the safe didn't work, the sink didn't drain and there was no hot water. Other than that it was fine. When I asked to change rooms, it took 3 hours and the reception desk never called to say the new room was ready; I had to make multiple trips to reception to ask. Ask for a room on a high floor away from Avenida do Portugal.

The internet is African, so I think that 'sporadic' might be the best word to use. When apps need to update, it always takes a few attempts (if ever) to get the updates to fully download. Sit in the downstairs bar for the best wifi.

There is a gym with 4 dread mills but only 2 of them work; 1 for 2 minutes and the other for 5 minutes. There would be a real chance of getting fat here, if the restaurant were any good.

The restaurant is OK for breakfast (although EXACTLY the same thing every single day). It is disastrous for anything else. I'm now writing this review in the restaurant, where I asked for sandwich 43 minutes ago and still waiting. This was the same yesterday.

On Sunday, I ordered dinner and the waiter told me that my first 3 choices were not available (they haven't had the seafood tagliatelle for 2 whole weeks now). When I got tired of guessing what might be on the menu I asked the waiter, who told me they had the chicken. So, I ordered the chicken. 5 minutes later, he came back to say that they didn't have the chicken. In fact, they only had 1 dish available from the whole menu and that was veal on skewers. I'm not a fan of veal but I was hungry, so I ordered it with rice. 25 minutes later the meal arrived but it wasn't veal, it was undercooked steak chunks on a skewer. It was cold and too salty to eat and the rice I had ordered looked suspiciously like potato crisps. I nibbled at the 3 pieces of steak but couldn't bring myself to eat them. At least someone who appeared to be in charge told me that I would not have to pay for my meal. Then the waiter still asked me to pay, until informed otherwise. I've now finished my review and it's been exactly 58 minutes since I ordered that sandwich, so I hope that it's good when it finally arrives.

Room tip: Stay on a high floor away from Avenida do Portugal, or travel with noise-cancelling headphones.
Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed March 6, 2018

If what you are looking for is a clean hotel it will do the trick. Breakfast is decent, otherwise the buffet style lunches and dinners are nothing to write home about.

I needed some urgent laundry done and this was done well and quicker than expected.

Internet was down for a couple of hours, otherwise a pleasant stay

Room tip: Ask for room with a view over the harbour, it's definitely worth it
Date of stay: March 2018
1  Thank HBAJCDP
Reviewed January 30, 2018

Even if it looks like a bit old inside, this hotel is of good standard and is comfortable.
Only disappointment (for sportive guests) would be the gym which is poorly equipped and hotel has no pool. (but are you exercising?)

Room tip: high floor to be far from street noise (8 to 13)
Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

Similar to other people's comments, wifi is terrible in the room, and then cuts out all the time. In reception its good,so if you need to work outside office hours, you'll be parking your butt in lobby area.

Speaking of lobby,front desk staff were very polite and helpful-full marks to them.

Room service had a terrible selection, with only 2 items available each day, which never came as menu indicated, and was of a very poor quality-even for Angola.

Breakfast selection is also terrible...selection and quality so appalling, can't believe people have to pay to eat that. Tables left dirty, terrible service.

Rooms were basic, but clean, so not faulting them their...

as for overall rAting, it's more of a two to low three star quality hotel. people who gave them higher marks either have never been in a hotel before, or have very, very low standards.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank llcoold
Reviewed July 31, 2017 via mobile

Quiet room with comfortable bed.

Ordered room service for late breakfast / early lunch. Food was part cooked with no taste.

Shower drain blocked so water would not fully drain.

Bottled water not replaced daily.

Date of stay: July 2017