“Just don't eat there”
Review of Skyna Hotel Luanda

Skyna Hotel Luanda
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Luanda
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am very grateful that the front desk was able to arrange a rate that fit my company's per diem; and they were always helpful. The workout facility was good, and happy that I had a place to work out. However, there are a few things that need improvement. There is a broken treadmill in the gym. Not bad if the gym is empty. There was also some improvements in the bathroom, such as a shelf that needed to be repair. The worse was the restaurant. I went there once. First you have two options, expense buffet, or highly priced fixed menu. I opted for the fixed menu. However, when I was seated, the head waiter (well he was the only one wearing a jacket, so I assume he is the head waiter) was down my throat about what I wanted, even before I looked at what was on the menu. I explained that I needed a minute. After 10 minutes, I walked out. He was no where to be found. I mentioned the bad service to the gentlemen at the door, and indicated to the manager on the stairs that I was unhappy. I even asked the reception man if I can avoid the service in the restaurant and have room service deliver the lamb. He referred me to the restaurant. To give an indication of elapsed time, a guest that walked in right behind me the first time was done and leaving. My seat wasn't cleared, so I sat back down. The waiters helped the others around me, some sat after me. But no one noticed a woman sitting alone looking around waiting for food? The head waiter came back and asked if I was ready. I ordered the fixed menu. He came back 5 minutes later and asked if I was ready. This is after I asked if he understood English, and he said yes. I said the menu was fine and to place the order. I also asked for the manager. I got another waiter that asked if I was ready to order. I finally did get the lamb. It was okay, but really not worth the trouble and the high price. I want to also say that the second waiter seemed to want to help and appeared to know what to do when he couldn't help.

The hotel has a bar/restaurant down the street. The food isn't better than the hotel's but it is cheaper, people are more willing to help.

In conclusion, I would stay here again, but not eat in the restaurant. If I got good service at the restaurant, I would give this an above average rating.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank colleengrant
There are newer reviews for Skyna Hotel Luanda

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Ok, so Angola/Luanda is very expensive considering the quality of service on offer by non African standards but I have to say the Skyna went beyond expectations. Room was ok, internet wasnt bad for speed and reliability (and was free wifi). Don't eat in the hotel however, $66 for buffet when there are ok local restaurants for way less. Staff were friendly and attentive. Breakfast is comprehensive and always a good idea to make a sandwich up to take away for your lunch. It will save you $10 - $15 later if you are having a snack in the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TimS1965
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed at the Skyna for three nights in late June. Coincidentally, one of the people I met during my stay is a fellow TripAdvisor reviewer who eviscerated the hotel in a 2011 review and noted that it has improved since.

First, it's Luanda. Everything is astronomically expensive. So I won't even get into the $385/night room price. Or the $65 dinner buffet. The buffet breakfasts and dinners weren't nearly as bad as they might have been. The service is, of course, completely indifferent, but that's a function of the complete absence of work ethic among most Luandans (an observation that one of my business colleagues, a native of Luanda, made.) The front desk staff completely botched the processing of my charges when I checked in (they require you to pay for everything in advance and post a deposit against which you pay for your meals.) I was stunned to find, however, that their accounting contortions to try to amend their mistakes were exactly accurate.

The room was clean, the bathroom was newly redone, the bed was very comfortable and I slept soundly. (Though I'll note that my colleague who stayed on a lower floor endured a consistent smell of mildew.) The furniture and cabinets are fairly worn. The safe worked and appears to be firmly anchored to the floor. The fruit that the young women bring every other day is a nice touch. The gym on the top floor gave me the cardio workout I needed, a TV to pass the time, and a rather interesting bird's eye view of downtown Luanda. Yes, there are no irons in the rooms (the patrons apparently can't be trusted not to burn down the hotel.) But the hotel staff pressed three shirts and three trousers for me within two hours on a Sunday evening. The bar is passable, although, again, a pale imitation of a club sandwich on thin white bread cost me $20.

I was told near the end of my stay by reliable local authorities that several rooms on each floor are occupied by state police monitoring any potentially subversive political activity (e.g., having any conversation with a local involving political dissent.) So that's creepy. Angola is, however, the most sophisticatedly authoritarian nation in Africa, so it's not surprising. I'm certain it's the same at every major hotel in town.

All in all you can probably do much worse than the Skyna and apparently it has improved during the past year. It's rather cruel, however, to be able to look out the window at the adjacent brand new EPIC Sana hotel, which seems to be much nicer. If I have to return perhaps I'll give that a shot.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Abbotsbury92
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Skyna Hotel is a fair hotel to use when you are in Luanda - it is located in the centre of the city so accessibility to major points is fairly easy. Most travel to Luanda seems to be of a business nature by most people to the city and Skyna is a good business hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less city noise reaching them.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Doc-Dee-Zee
Reviewed August 8, 2012

It is really hard to find any good words for this hotel…paying US 385 without getting anything back is a real JOKE. No Service, BAD food and a staff which has forgotten how easy it is to smile. The hotel is not even 02 years old but looks and smells like from the 70’s. During check-in I had the feeling to be a petitioner and paying that amount I would expect at least a smile or some friendly words.
But instead someone from the reception has copied my Credit Card and I ended up with EUR 6.000 of damage which was fortunately covered by my insurance.
I will rather cut off my hands before I will recommend this Hotel, but you do not have much choice in Luanda…so swallow the pill!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank delchaco
skynahotel, Owner at Skyna Hotel Luanda, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback.

We take all our customer’s comers very seriously and are always trying to improve wherever we can.

We accept that our service is not perfect and can assure you that we will try our best to address some of the issues you mentioned on your feedback.

One of the comments, however, I will need some further information from you to find out exactly what happened and take further action;

You mentioned that your credit card details were copied by one of our staff members and further fraudulent activity took place. Fraud in Angola, like in any other country is a criminal offence and we will need your support in finding out the culprit to hand the information over the authorities.
In order to do that, please provide us with your stay´s details and possibly the staff member´s name that you believe copied your card.

Please submit these details to our hotel director through the email sonia.fonseca@skynahotel.com.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this has caused you and sincerely hope that we will get another chance to provide you with the level of service you would expect from us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Skyna Hotel provides standard level accommodations and is a good option for short business trips. The hotel is let down by the poor service in the restaurants and bars where it is almost comical how surly the staff can be. The rooms are clean and quite comfortable and internet access is reliable with wifi in common areas.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HNDAC2PG
Reviewed July 9, 2012

They have definitely improved their service since last time i was there. Internet is good, they also have offered free sodas and beer in the mini fridge. I was brought fruit on arrival this time. All things that didnt happen last time. Other than that it is a basic business hotel. It is just over-priced...but hey welcome to the rip off that is Angola.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business