“Good venue, very poor service”

Talatona Convention Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Luanda
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Been at Talatona twice already, and can now confirm my first impression : the hotel is built on high standards and deserves 5* for this, the service is at the other end of the spectrum !
- Staff at reception has limited English skills
- Cleaning staff is a clear shame : my room was not cleaned from the previous guest, I asked to get it cleaned, a lady came and gave me a water bottle !! Every morning, towels were taken away and not replaced !
- Maintenance is not performed : 3 out of 6 lightbulbs were broken, the door hardly closed, the lights in the cupbard could not be turned off anymore, the safe was missing (and I was asked what I did with it - that was funny)
- WiFi works only in the lobby and first floor. Come with your own CAT5 cable.

I am sure service will improve as years pass, unfortunately if maintenance is done consistently like this the hotel shall be in bad shape quickly.

Room Tip: First floor for WiFi and anyway take a CAT5 cable.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sebastien P
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Sir,

On behalf of the entire team we appreciate your esteemed opinion and sincerity regarding points to be improved.

Having actively listened to our guests the hotel has provided an English course internally (currently in progress) not just in terms of front desk but also for housekeeping.

For this reason, and since we have taken into account the relevance of proper communication and understanding, we believe that on your next visit you may already see an improvement on this aspect.

In terms of intenet, we are finalizing the negotiation for the implementation of WIFI network in rooms and we are pleased to be able to offer an improvement of services to our guests.

About the other points mentioned we will take into consideration the faults in terms of maintenance and housekeeping so they wont happen again.

Hoping to have answered all the questions we hope that you visit us back soon.

There are newer reviews for Talatona Convention Hotel

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Rooms are excellent and clean. If you don't need to be downtown and aren't too concerned about service this isn't a bad place to stay - although the rates should still compensate for the location - which they don't.
If you need to be downtown do everything you can to stay at Epic Sana. For the nights I stayed it was about $30 cheaper per night, has better facilities and service. The commute downtown from Talatona almost makes it not worth visiting Luanda if you are forced to stay at Talatona. Average time over 3 days was 1h20 each way. Average wait time for a taxi at Talatona ranged from 15 minutes to 1h45 minutes! Can take a long time to find a taxi prepared to take you back to Talatona for an acceptable price (work on about $60 each way).
Drinks service in lobby bar is ok, food service is terrible - buffet upstairs at US$75 is a better bet. Food is fine.
If the owners want to improve their occupancy they should arrange their own reasonably priced (say $30 each way) shuttle every hour to downtown.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 96CTUp

Dear Sir,

Thanks , first of all , your prized attention and time devoted to leave us your opinion about your stay .

Sorry if somehow the service was not meeting their expectations .

We also appreciate your suggestion regarding the shuttle service that will take into consideration and internal analysis .

Unfortunately , the traffic in the city of Luanda , still presented as a challenge both inside and outside the city and Talatona presents itself as a solution to those who want to be able to enjoy the proximity to recreational areas even while on a business trip .

Just as correction to your comment about our restaurants , the buffet restaurant is located on the ground floor and the first floor is located our à la carte restaurant, La Piazza .

Once again, we regret if the service has not met your expectations and we hope to see you soon so you can carry the memory of a truly 5 star stay!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Went to Luanda on Business and booked the Talatona Convention Hotel. It's an excellent hotel with all facilities one needs to have a very comfortable stay. Modern rooms and very quiet. The only thing is the Health club was closed and no adaptors provided for guests which is quite amazing for a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review and compliments!

Regarding the closing of our gym for rehabilitation works, we report that the opening is expected shortly, within the next month, therefore on your next visit you may make use of this area as well.

We await for your visit shortly and, until then, please do not hesitate to reach for any additional clarification.

HCTA Sales & Marketing Management

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Very clean and upmarket hotel with some of the best rooms I've stayed in. However the service does not live up to a 5* expectation. Staff are often inefficient and may completely ignore you if you don't speak Portuguese. Wifi is only available in the lobby and often doesn't work. The food service is also average and not what you expect for the pence you pay.

Dear Mr. Pierre,

We appreciate your esteemed opinion and feedback submitted.

In order to properly respond to the faults mentioned HCTA has already taken some measures internally and we have a English training presently taking place so that we can offer all our staff skills in order to present a 5 star service.

Furthermore, we inform that we are working on improving internet access and hopefully at a forthcoming visit you may already enjoy this service with satisfaction.

The HCTA team hopes to welcome you back shortly and please do not hesitate to reach us for any further information.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Hotel de Convencoes de Talatona offers clean spacious rooms but the pricing at the hotel, especially the food and beverages, makes this hotel my last choice in traveling to Luanda. Also, internet service is terrible within the hotel. They need serious attention to their IT department which is apparently non-existent. If the problem were the service provider, I wouldn't complain but here, the problem is with the hotel's need of internal system upgrade. Internet drops and requires re-logging on approximately 40 times per day so doing any sort of business from this hotel is impossible. Food is not of any high quality and I question whether or not it is safe. I eat elsewhere. Unfortunately, the area offers nothing. There is quite literally NOTHING around so hire a car or be prepared to travel by taxi.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the time invested in sending your opinion and presentation of the less positive points of your stay that we do regard as an added value in order to correct any faults and in a near future provide a better service that may meet your expectations as a HCTA customer.

Regarding the internet service we inform you that the hotel is currently in negotiations to correct all internet network failures and ensure wireless internet access in all the rooms and we hope that in your next visit you may already use this service.

We are sorry that your satisfaction with the food has not been fulfilled and we will take your review to ensure an improvement in this service.

Angola still presents a challenge regarding activities suggestions and places to visit as well as the provision of public transport services, therefore the hotel offers a free shuttle service to the Shopping center as well as to the pier that may take you to Mussulo Island.

We shall continue to work to ensure that at a forthcoming visit your expectations are exceeded.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I travel for a living; so naturally I look at hotels as a second home! The Talatona hotel is probably the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in (mind you I have visited over 60 countries and stayed at various hotels!!). On the first night, I called room service for a bucket of ice which never arrived! I decided to go down and get it myself but on speaking to the bar staff I was informed they have no ice!!! The second day me and my colleagues were supposed to take the pre-assigned shuttle bus to the gym (as theirs has been shut for eternity) which was very conveniently sent ot the airport to get some guests; so we waited for over 2 hours before the duty manager told us that it was not their problem to transfer us to the gym and we should get a taxi! On day 3 (yes it goes on!!!) housekeeping must have knocked on my door despite having a DND sign several times offering me various amenities from a shaving kit to a wet wipe packet for no apparent reason. Furthermore on checkout two of my colleagues were overcharged by 300 dollars! I understand that Luanda is still growing and infrastructure is slow paced but proclaiming to be a 5 star hotel and not even delivering a 3 star service is just pure appalling!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Abhijeet23
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Mr. Abhijeet,

In the name of the Talatona Convention Hotel team we thank you for your review and for your feedback on your stay with us.

It is with some regret that we're sorry that your stay has not met your expectations.

All reviews are very important to us, specially complaints, so we may perceive our faults in customer service and possibly correct any internal procedures.

Regretting once again every possible inconvenience caused, we guarantee that we will continue working to ensure that in your future visit you may perceive a five star quality service.

In the meanwhile, please do not hesitate to reach us for any further information.

HCTA Sales & Marketing Management

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel is definitely nice and new - shiny marble and travertine, large expansive lobby, opulently ( if somewhat tackily) decorated, a few good sounding restaurant and bar options advertised. So I checked in with a degree of optimism. My room looked good; clean and well laid out with better decor than the lobby and most importantly, great bedding. However I got a shock when I settled in to do some work and found out there was no wifi - in a $450 plus a night hotel!?? I called the lobby in confusion ( they had given me wifi access vouchers when I checked in ), only to be told that indeed there was no in room wifi, only in communal areas. To use the Internet I needed a LAN cable - but they had run out so I had to wait approx 2 hours !! This was just the beginning of a catalogue of errors : my attempt to watch TV was futile as most of the advertised channels didn't work - no sound, interference and there was no in room DVD or movie facility ( at $450 a night!).
I attempted to make a cup of tea using the provided in room facilities but there was no milk. I requested some from room service along with some additional tea bags ( only 1 regular tea bag and loads of coffee and herbal stuff). After about 30 mins of back and forth with housekeeping, they finally turned up with replenishement tea bags and a jug of milk - which they billed me for !! Eventually, frustrated , I gave up chilling in my room & went downstairs to use the wifi and grab a snack - and spend 10 mins trying to get the attention of a server in the lobby cafe.
The next day, on returning to the room after work I noticed that a real slapdash clean had be carried out - bedding not changed, duvet straightened over barely made bed, carpet not vacuumed, bins not emptied, empty glass and magazines lying where I left them and no toiletries or towels replenished in bathroom. I complained and after 20 mins and plenty of apologizing, housekeeping turned up to clean properly. This happened 2 more times during a 4 night stay. Other issues included room access cards that never worked, issues with charging items to your room, constant power cuts and ridiculously slow Internet, where it was available. I predict once the newness and glitz of this place wears of , it's reputation and patronage will go down the tubes very quickly - no business traveller wants to spend $450 a night ad not even get basics. I will definitely not be returning

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jane E
HCTA, Sales & Marketing Management at Talatona Convention Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Ms. Jane,

First of all, thank you for your review and for your sincere words that we regard as an added value for the continuous improvement of our services and correction of faults and mistakes. Furthermore, we also take this opportunity to present our most sincere apologies for not reaching the expected quality of service.

Regarding the internet service we inform you that the hotel is currently conducting tests to ensure the service of wireless internet in the rooms and we hope that in your next visit you may already use this service.

With respect to the flaws pointed out in the housekeeping service we have to regret what happened acknowledging human error and we commit ourselves to correct them so that similar situations will no longer occur.

We reaffirm our formal apology and we do hope to see you in your future visit to Angola.