Amadeus Garden
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Batonka Guest Lodge(Victoria Falls)
View Hotel
Victoria Falls Safari Lodge(Victoria Falls)
  • Breakfast included
Cresta Sprayview Hotel(Victoria Falls)
View Hotel
Victoria Falls Safari Club(Victoria Falls)
View Hotel
N1 Hotel Victoria Falls(Victoria Falls)
  • Pool
Ilala Lodge(Victoria Falls)
View Hotel
Elephant Hills Resort(Victoria Falls)
View Hotel
All reviewsguest houselovely guesthouseprovide transportstayed here for nightsairport pickplace to stayrooms are cleantaxiactivitiestownzimbabwefallsaccommodationusdfurnishingsloungers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I had the chance to stay at the Amadeus Gardens with my family (2 girls 8 and 11) and I must say we enjoyed our stay. There is a friendly staff, the rooms are very comfortable and its a walking distance to the town.We had lovely meals, and the pool with the green tiles was always clean our room's were always tided up everyday.I would certainly return to this guesthouse as even my children enjoyed it.We will be definately booking next year agian!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We loved this place. While it isn't in the heart of town, that is quite nice, it is very peaceful and service is great. Katherine in particular was so helpful and very responsive, she is only on during the days. We had the end room looking at the pool (#1), it was spacious and clean. The pool was nice, and was cleaned in the time we were there. The food was great, very simple but good quality. The main gate isn't actually secure, you can just pull it open, during the night there is a security guard. The reception is at the bar.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShelleyDodsley
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

This place is within walking distance of the town, has a good breakfast, nice clean rooms. Good place to stay if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Jessb22
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We are a family with small children (4 years and 10 months) and when making the booking at Amadeus Garden through a travel agency in Harare, we found the rates over priced. (40 USD supplement for our 4 year old child and the per person per night rate was 70 USD in April). Thus we were paying 180 USD per night with breakast included. However because of the positive comments in Trip Advisor we took the chance. Please note that Luxury hotels like Victoria Falls Hotel and Bulawayo Club do not charge children under 12 years and just ask for half of the breakfast rate for the children over 3 years. Some hotels during this trip charged half price of per person rate for children over 6 years. Chobe Marina Lodge in Botswana charged 15 USD only for the extra bed in our room.

We arrived after a long journey of six hours and it was 5pm. Our 4 year old child sleeps at 7 .30 pm and we were planning to give him a quick wash, get some thing to eat and put him to bed. We found no one at the gate and we opened the sliding gate. Any one can come in to the guest house compound during the day time.(There is a guard at night).There is no reception area and we walked in to the open pool area with the rooms. There were two tourists reading a book and no one in sight. We walked to the back area where there was a kitchen and found the cook « Simion ».When we told him that we had a booking he acted very surprised and said « he knows nothing » and continued cooking. We said that we had paid for the three nights in advance and that we wanted to know who has the keys. He said « I am only the cook » and acted as it it was none of his business. We sat by the pool side and waited for 30 minutes. Potential Malaria mosquitoes were roaming the air and it was getting dark. Our son wanted to go to the toilet and the cook took him to the « service quarter toilet ». Finally at 5 .45pm I asked the cook if he has contacted anyone. He said « I am trying to call the boss, but she is not answering ». I asked for her telephone number. He did not want to give it. By now I was getting a little annoyed and I insisted for the telephone number saying that our children needed to go to bed soon. He gave me the telephone number reluctantly. I rang only three times and « Miriam » answered the phone and sounded surprised that we had arrived. She said « you were supposed to tell us that what time you will arrive , I will come very soon ».
She arrived within 10 minutes. She was very defensive and said « I did not expect you since you had not informed us when you would arrive ». This was very strange as we did not need any airport pick ups and we were self driving. Although we had paid in advance she had assumed that we will not arrive since we had not told the arrival time. We were arriving in the afternoon and normally our room should have been ready after 2pm (check in time) and we had paid for 3 nights in advance. She could not remember which room was for us and had to go in to look up her list. Note that there are less than 8 rooms facing the pool and it is not so difficult to know which one would be ready for a family with small children. Then she took us to a room and it was with a double bed. I asked « where is the third bed for our son ? ». She acted once again very defensive and said « please be patient, some guests want it in different direction and we waited till you arrive » . Then it took another 30 minutes for some people to bring in the bed and make the bed. We wanted to go in to the room and she said « you have to wait as we have spray your room for mosquitoes. And it is not good for your kids to go in immediately ». That was considerate of her but this should have been done when the room was being prepared for our arrival. She offered tea on the house while we waited for the room to be prepared. We entered the room at 7pm. We had dinner at Amadeus and it was a very tasty meal prepared by the very unpleasant chef Simion. Obviously he was taking his cooking serious and nothing else. There is no one to serve you at night except the cook. He was sullen and did not agree to any thing we asked. We had to beg for a « wet cloth » to clean our baby’s feeding chair (which we had brought as the restaurant does not have one). He said « no » and then my husband said « I want to clean the table ». Then he gave it since we were doing his job. He even smiled that we wanted to clean up the table.
At 7 .30 pm we discovered that the toilet flush does not work. The water in the cistern was not coming through which required the services of the plumber. Luckily I had Miriam’s number in my phone (It was a lucky coincidence that I was a Zimbabwean resident and had a mobile phone) because Simion was not willing to utter a word let alone help. Miriam offered a water bucket for « emergencies » and promised to fix it in the morning. It was temporarily fixed following afternoon but the flush does not work immediately. It takes about 30 minutes to fill up the cistern. Note that this is room number 1 .

In general, Amadeus is a good option for travellers who are helpless and who have no form of transport. They pick you up when you inform them. The rooms are not huge but they are normal size. If you have 3 beds (with kids) it is very crampy. The bathrooms are clean. The little terrace outside the room is « useless » as you are looking into the faces of other tourists across the pool area. You have no privacy. The pool is green and is not well maintained.I can attach pictures later, currently my internet is very weak. The restaurant is ok for day time, the girl who serves is really nice. She is off after 5pm and then you are at the mercy of the sullen cook. I found it to be overpriced, cramped, no privacy and the least friendly of the hotels I have stayed in entire Zimbabwe. I certainly would not return. The price difference with Ilala Lodge is 40 USD ( 110 USD per person with breakfast if you are a resident of Zim) and the price difference with Victoria Falls Hotels is 90 USD . ( 270 USD for a double with breakfast if you are resident of Zim and kids are not charged). If you are not a resident of Zim, I would still pay a 100 USD more and stay in a « proper hotel » rather than in this overpriced place. I would not pay more than 100 USD for a such a room.

Room Tip: At 7 .30 pm we discovered that the toilet flush does not work. The water in the cistern was not coming through which required the services of the plumber. Luckily I had Miriam’s number in my phone (It was a lucky coincidence that I was a Zimbabwean resident and had a mobile phone) because Simion was not willing to utter a word let alone help. Miriam offered a water bucket for « emergencies » and promised to fix it in the morning. It was temporarily fixed following afternoon but the flush does not work immediately. It takes about 30 minutes to fill up the cistern. Note that this is room number 1. The rooms are not huge but they are normal size. If you have 3 beds (with kids) it is very crampy. The bathrooms are clean. The little terrace outside the room is « useless » as you are looking into the faces of other tourists across the pool area. You have no privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank gitane_in_zim
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is a top hotel....probably more like a guesthouse than anything. 11 rooms, most set around a beautiful pool. The rooms are comfortable and very clean and the service is excellent. It's about a 15 minute walk from town, but it is easy to get around either by foot or taxi. The only problem is that my transfer that I booked through Amadeus did not show up at the airport. But Hartmut was very apologetic and I had no further problems. Free wifi as well. Highly recommended. Thanks Hartmut!

• Stayed: February 2012