“This was a most perfect introduction to Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls.”

and 1 more site!
Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Pecatonica, Illinois
“This was a most perfect introduction to Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

This was the very first hotel we stayed on our safari in Africa, and it more than exceeded our expectations. The setting is wonderful, overlooking a waterhole. In the two nights that we were there, we saw large herds of elephants and of cape buffalo. We also had monkeys on our balcony, peering into our room. Our room, number 2, was beautifully cleaned and maintained. We appreciated having a carafe to make tea and coffee and we loved our balcony from which we could see the water hole and the swimming pool.

We took several excursions from the hotel and the pick up and drop off process was seamless. Once we had visited the crafts, we had several things to take home and none were in protected packaging. We bought tape from the front desk and a gentleman packed them all and returned them to our room. When we got home, everything was in splendid shape, and they were wrapped much more carefully than I would have done it. The shuttle from the hotel, going every hour, was super efficient. The driver even took us to the area where we could walk over the bridge to Zambia.
We felt very safe and the people were warm and friendly.

My husband and I were glad to see a fair amount of people staying here. Truly, the front desk could not have been more accommodating. We ate a meal one night at the Boma - a very touristy spot, but we loved trying impala, crocodile, kudu, ostrich, and warthog. The drumming and dancing were just plain fun, and everyone seemed to be enjoying the warm, friendly environment. The next night we ate dinner at the hotel and found it to be very good with excellent service. We also ate breakfast there, and the service and buffet were absolutely amazing. There were so many fruits, juices, and choices!

If you are staying at the Safari Lodge, you should know that you will be about a five minute drive from Victoria Falls. We enjoyed NOT being in the city and having a waterhole from which to view animals. Actually, there is a hide there to see animals more closely, and I believe the hotel has a guide to take you down there. We were pretty busy doing "touristy" things, but I wish we'd had another day to just soak up the peacefulness of this place, enjoy strolling and seeing all the plants and trees, and spending more time viewing the animals. We could have stayed anywhere for less money, but to us, the setting, service, and dining made it a worthwhile upgrade. If we were going back to Victoria Falls (and we would love to), we would certainly stay here!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank William M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Auburn, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

We added our trip to Victoria Falls at the last minute, so our travel agent picked the Safari Lodge. Can't wait to thank her for giving us a great place to stay while taking in the Falls... After 6 days on a private game preserve, what a way to come back to reality. The animals at the watering hole were almost as good as being on safari. The staff and the food were great and the hotel setting can't be beat and my wife really got off on the masquito netting around the bed. The Safari Lodge made our trip to Victoria Falls even better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Billb1375
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed in September 2009, in time for the lunar rainbows (which was actually disappointing). The hotel is great, rooms are very bright, great views, very calm, not many guests so it feels very exclusive. Staff are very helpful and friendly . The food was outstanding, much better than in South Africa where we stayed 2 weeks.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Conchan1
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights in the 2 bedroom "hut". HUGE space with everything you need. Things are a bit older and "rustic" but it is a fabulous experience. Main wall rolls up (tent material) and you can enjoy your view of the grounds. Warthogs and "turkeys" don't bother you but monkeys DO come in...a lot. Make sure you close up your place when you aren't in it or you will have visitors. Pools were clean and refreshing. Service is OUTSTANDING. It was relatively quiet but all the staff were very attentive. We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel in the restaurant overlooking the watering hole. We enjoyed drinks and free appies every evening at 6pm one floor below the restaurant at the bar. It was the best entertainment I have ever experienced....seeing the animals come out of the bush to drink...you never knew what you would see. On our last day, we did a walking safari down to the watering hole. Pretty scary stuff but an amazing experience (the guide has a gun). We got really close to 3 bull elephants and some buffalos....a bit too close for my liking! There is a shuttle that takes you to Victoria Falls which was amazing. We were there after some heavy rains so the falls were incredible (get ready to be soaked!). We'd already done some intense traveling before this stop so I admit we were ready to have some quiet time. This place is PERFECT for relaxing. If you are looking for action, there were numerous activities you could arrange. We had no problem with Zimbabwe. We flew into Zambia and the hotel arranged our pick-up (our driver helped us through the border process). The hotel took credit cards but we had brought lots of US cash. The ONLY downside to this place was that food is expensive. We had been in South AFrica before where we enjoyed cheap food. You are going to be spending a good $60USD on dinner for 2 without drinks. Breakfast was $18USD each (buffet). We skipped lunch because we ate so much at breakfast and wanted room for their amazing dinners. Boma is a fun experience - but I would only go once. It is the equivalent of a Hawaiian Luau. GREAT food though. We had hoped to buy groceries in town and cook some of our meals but were REALLY disappointed by the selection in the stores. Over priced, zero variety and most stuff past the expiration date. We didn't find it was worth it so we ate at the hotel and just sucked up the extra cost. Everything on the menu is delicious. I would LOVE to come back to this place!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveIt77
Wollongong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed 1 night at Vic Falls hotel to come to this, what a horrible mistake.
Firstly our room was filthy, we had moths all over the sheets and bed,and the bathroom was mouldy.
After we accepted that, we went down to have lunch at the Bar, well I dont think I have ever seen "home made Ravioli" like it, we could not eat it it was that bad, there was so much cheese and salt it was unbearable.
We decided to get room service that night as we though it may be a little better, My gosh we ordered the "healthy wraps" and basically it was mushed up bread with some salad thrown and squeezed into it, again we couldnt eat it as it looked as though it had been handled so much it was moulded to their hands !!! again we went hungry :(
The service was so shocking here, this was the only hotel in our travels that the staff were rude and unhelpful, I have never been to a hotel before where there were staff just standing around when people needed drinks and clearing of glasses etc, very poor.
Everything seemed to be not working, coffee machine/internet and the list goes on.
The Boma was the best food we had there.
I will not be returning nor recommending this hotel.

3 Thank Nats44
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

For some reason when booking I thought this hotel on-line that it promoted itself as having deluxe room balconies that directly faced Victoria Falls. So I booked a deluxe room for this reason. When my wife and I arrived at the hotel and were shown to our room (#20) I quickly realized that we could not see Victoria Falls from any angle. I asked the porter if other rooms had views of the falls and he said "no" but other deluxe rooms have views of the animal watering hole. By the time I returned from speaking with Lynn at Guest Services and the Lodge's Mgr. Jonathan, I realized that I was the one who made the mistake about being able to see the "Falls" from our room and was returned to another room (#69) which had a breathtaking view of the animal watering hole.

From this point forward our stay was marvelous and they couldn't do enough to satisfy our every request. I highly recommend going to the "Falls.) Most people recommended that you rent a poncho to avoid becoming soaked from the "Falls" mist. I found the mist to be cooling, while the poncho was stifling. Going to both hotel restaurants is highly recommended, e.g. Boma for it unique local cuisine (buffet style) and its live entertainment, and the in-house a la carte restaurant. If you have the time don't miss taking the sunset cruise on the Zambezi River, especially if you can ride with Sam the Captain and Crawford the Steward. Their boat is small and intimate. The only caution is to be forwarned that smoking is permitted on-board.

1 Thank TravelEnthusiast1_10
connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

My husband arrived and was amazed at the beauty of the resort! Loved the african theme and the watering hole with animals was amazing! We were escorted to our room to find it still dirty from the last guest and the bell boy called( argued) with from desk to find us another room and to send housekeeping to clean the room. The bell boy told us to leave our luggage and that he would make sure that every thing was sorted out! They returned us to our room and an hour later I realized that our laptop computer was gone.Someone must have stolen it while we were waiting in the other room! What really got me was the way the hotel handled the situation. They made me search through all of my things like I was the thief and that I had misplaced it! ( How do you misplace a laptop?) They said that when guest say something is stolen, it usually turns up later and everything is fine! So they never filed a report and told me to wait until the next morning before going to the police. It was not until the next night that they got a staff member to drive us into town to file a report! I loved the area and the hotel was great but the service and staff was very insulting! I returned to the US without my laptop and will probably never see it again. But as least VFSL should have done their part to help me.

5 Thank islandtravel07