“Awesome Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed my trip. The staff is very friendly and they were able to help me book a trip out to Livingstone Island/Devil's Pool with just one day's notice. It was convenient to order drinks and just charge your room and pay at the end.

The location is a little far from the rest of the town, but they offer a free shuttle bus that leaves every hour and the driver is very good at asking where and when you'd like to be picked up. During my stay, I only had to use a taxi once when I checked out some of the bars downtown.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that views the water hole, it's worth the view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hello Ravi, thanks for the review. And glad you had a great time with us. Yes, we are a little way out of town - however most agree this is a good thing. It's nice to be out of the hustle and bustle and right on the National Park where we are.

Look forward to your return,

Jonathan Hudson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

A short drive and a few more stamps we were in Zimbabwe from Zambia.

Victoria Falls town was slightly more developed than Livingstone. A further 5 min and we were at our hotel.

The Victoria Falls Safari Lodge is a wonderfully set bush feel, with almost all the rooms overlooking a watering hole where animals come for miles to come drink. Over the course of our stay we saw warthogs, amazing birds of prey, all sorts of buck and wildebeest there morning and evening, with the restaurant the closest building overlooking the watering hole you are treated with amazing sights on top of world class food.

After our rafting in the morning we were bushed. We sat on the balcony remincing in the golden light of sunset. A wonderful setting. The rooms were decent, but the aircon was a little tired. The bathroom had little tubs of after sun, repellent, and a great sun cream which came in handy as you could pay an arm and a leg for these in a tourist area.

I was awaken at 2 o clock by my girlfriend in a lot of pain and making trips to the bathroom regularly, this kept on throughout the night. We didn’t bother with Malaria pills which I thought was a huge gamble and feared the worst when Bex was getting sick. At first light I went to the reception to see if they could offer us any assistance or pills. They said they would call the doctor and with 15min we had emergency services issuing checks and injecting Becs with something that would make her feel better. I had a very busy morning of site inspections so I left Becs in the capable hands of the staff and off I went to do some work. We later found out that we were not even charged for the callout or the injections which I thought was super of course.

We had a couple of dips in the pool which was also set in a great place, and had two tiers if you didn't want be with splashed by some toddlers. The business centre had about 6 computers which I thought was super as not many hotels have access to so many. The free Wi-Fi throughout was decent, not good enough for a Skype video call but sufficient enough to send some emails.

The Boma restuarnt next door is a awesome experience. We managed to go to the dinner and what a great decision it was. I made a point of sampling anything exotic so I ended up with Crocodile, buffalo, warthog, and an impani worm on my plate to name just a few. All very delicious especially the crocodile with a lemon drizzling. We survived dinner despite Becs feeling terrible the whole day and even stayed for some of the drumming afterwards which was awesome as everyone got involved but we left soon after as we were both so bushed.

A superb hotel that I will be sending many clients to through our Webtours and justhoneymoons websites.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank WebtoursZA
Hello in Durban! Thanks for your comprehensive review of our lodge. It looks like everything went wonderfully for you. And for this we are so happy.

Come back soon,

BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in October and I thought the lodge itself was really nice. It had great views of the watering hole, a nice swimming pool (although small) with nice lounge chairs. The patio and restaurant were lovely. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I guess the rooms are considered rustic which some people might like. My husband thought the room was great, had a real safari, african feel. Now I know that I am in Zimbabwe but I don't like bugs. There was mosquito netting around the bed but the net was not tight to the top of the posts so if you had the light on and were reading, they came in from the top. Not too bad though, there was bug spray in the room. I really hate spiders and saw a few of those. One fairly large one was on the inside of my netting when I woke up one morning. This is not the hotels fault, as after all , like I said, we are in a tropical hot country. Other than the spiders, I thought the hotel was nice, and clean. I don't know if I would stay here again. I prefer the hotels that do not have thatched roofs for obvious reasons. If bugs and spiders don't bother you, then I think this would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello there. Thanks for your review of our lodge. Unfortunately this time of year is good for insects - warm and wet - so we do take special care to keep everything out. It's obviously important to keep all your balcony doors closed at night as that is when insects tend to become attracted to the light.

We hope you will visit us again!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was recently afforded the opportunity to visit Victoria Falls, and happily fund myself at the Vic Falls Safari Lodge for 2 nights. It was a wonderful experience as the warm hospitality and ambience, made for a great stay. The food was super (The Boma Restaurant was also amazing and the staff were so friendly. Rooms are nicely decorated with a lovely view over the waterhole in front of the lodge. It is towards the outskirts of town, so you feel like you are in the bush, but with the convenience of being near most activities. I would definitely like to visit again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hello in Cape Town. Thanks for the review - looks like you had the perfect experience with us. Wonderful comments and looking forward to having you back.

Northridge,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights here at the end of our honeymoon(Nov. 14th-16th) after traveling around Botswana for 2 weeks. From the moment we arrived, everybody went out of their way to help us with whatever we needed. It's refreshing to see everybody with such a positive energy, because that is missing at a lot of places. There were a lot of people at the front desk and one of the porters came by to see how they could help. The room itself was very nice. There was a great view from the balcony of the water hole. The bar has some good food. We had lunch there one day and the restaurant was kind enough to arrange a private dinner for us one night on the very top level, which was just fantastic. Check out the vulture feeding every day at 1pm as they give a few scraps to them from the BOMA show from the night before. It's a spectacle you have to see. We spent a little time in the pools also to cool off in the afternoon. Even though the hotel is located outside of the city centre, it is actually closer to most of the activities than hotels in the centre. All of the activities pick you up. I had misplaced my travel adaptor at our hotel in Chobe. The front desk staff allowed us to charge our devices at the front desk while we did activities or ate at the hotel. We had a great time at the lodge and if we ever go back we will there again for sure!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hi there. Thanks for the comprehensive review and kind words. Our staff love what they do, so we appreciate you recognising their efforts. We want to make your stay in Victoria Falls as magical and memorable as possible.

Rancho Palos Verdes, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

The setting of this hotel is amazing. Loved the view of the watering hole with the wild animals from every area of the hotel. Rooms were nice but not high end by any means...The staff was friendly and helpful. The pool area was beautiful. Breakfast buffet was great, dinner menu and food was average. Would recommend watching the vulture feeding frenzy which happens everyday about 1:00 PM. Also, it is not advertised, but there are guides that will take you to the watering hole for close-up views of the animals (must inquire ahead). All in all, a great place to stay while visiting Victoria Falls. We enjoyed our time in Zimbabwe and the lodge but wished we'd had a couple more days.

Room Tip: Get a room number 50 or above for a better view of the watering hole.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi there. Thanks for describing the 'breathtaking setting' so nicely. Yes, the guided drives into the reserve are a wonderful experience and certainly worth doing as an activity. It's wonderful to experience the bush beyond the confines of the lodge - however wonderful and comfortable.

wollongong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

We thought we would start our safari in Victoria Falls and ease into Africa in our first trip. We were keen to see Victoria Falls and walk with the Lions. The accommodation was excellent we were upgraded to a King room which was separate from the main building with a bedroom and bathroom upstairs and a lounge and bathroom downstairs.

The shuttle to Victoria Falls national park was great and made things easy.

We also did a helicopter ride and sunset cruise and it was convenient to be picked up from the lodge.

The restaurant was nice with great views to the waterhole. We saw elephants from our room at the waterhole.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank escape123
Hi there, it sounds like you had a wonderful start to your safari in Africa and we are so glad you could share the memories with us. Thanks for the review.