“Nice lodge, rooms average”

Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in October and I thought the lodge itself was really nice. It had great views of the watering hole, a nice swimming pool (although small) with nice lounge chairs. The patio and restaurant were lovely. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I guess the rooms are considered rustic which some people might like. My husband thought the room was great, had a real safari, african feel. Now I know that I am in Zimbabwe but I don't like bugs. There was mosquito netting around the bed but the net was not tight to the top of the posts so if you had the light on and were reading, they came in from the top. Not too bad though, there was bug spray in the room. I really hate spiders and saw a few of those. One fairly large one was on the inside of my netting when I woke up one morning. This is not the hotels fault, as after all , like I said, we are in a tropical hot country. Other than the spiders, I thought the hotel was nice, and clean. I don't know if I would stay here again. I prefer the hotels that do not have thatched roofs for obvious reasons. If bugs and spiders don't bother you, then I think this would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Hello there. Thanks for your review of our lodge. Unfortunately this time of year is good for insects - warm and wet - so we do take special care to keep everything out. It's obviously important to keep all your balcony doors closed at night as that is when insects tend to become attracted to the light.

We hope you will visit us again!

There are newer reviews for Victoria Falls Safari Lodge

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was recently afforded the opportunity to visit Victoria Falls, and happily fund myself at the Vic Falls Safari Lodge for 2 nights. It was a wonderful experience as the warm hospitality and ambience, made for a great stay. The food was super (The Boma Restaurant was also amazing and the staff were so friendly. Rooms are nicely decorated with a lovely view over the waterhole in front of the lodge. It is towards the outskirts of town, so you feel like you are in the bush, but with the convenience of being near most activities. I would definitely like to visit again!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Hello in Cape Town. Thanks for the review - looks like you had the perfect experience with us. Wonderful comments and looking forward to having you back.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights here at the end of our honeymoon(Nov. 14th-16th) after traveling around Botswana for 2 weeks. From the moment we arrived, everybody went out of their way to help us with whatever we needed. It's refreshing to see everybody with such a positive energy, because that is missing at a lot of places. There were a lot of people at the front desk and one of the porters came by to see how they could help. The room itself was very nice. There was a great view from the balcony of the water hole. The bar has some good food. We had lunch there one day and the restaurant was kind enough to arrange a private dinner for us one night on the very top level, which was just fantastic. Check out the vulture feeding every day at 1pm as they give a few scraps to them from the BOMA show from the night before. It's a spectacle you have to see. We spent a little time in the pools also to cool off in the afternoon. Even though the hotel is located outside of the city centre, it is actually closer to most of the activities than hotels in the centre. All of the activities pick you up. I had misplaced my travel adaptor at our hotel in Chobe. The front desk staff allowed us to charge our devices at the front desk while we did activities or ate at the hotel. We had a great time at the lodge and if we ever go back we will there again for sure!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Hi there. Thanks for the comprehensive review and kind words. Our staff love what they do, so we appreciate you recognising their efforts. We want to make your stay in Victoria Falls as magical and memorable as possible.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

The setting of this hotel is amazing. Loved the view of the watering hole with the wild animals from every area of the hotel. Rooms were nice but not high end by any means...The staff was friendly and helpful. The pool area was beautiful. Breakfast buffet was great, dinner menu and food was average. Would recommend watching the vulture feeding frenzy which happens everyday about 1:00 PM. Also, it is not advertised, but there are guides that will take you to the watering hole for close-up views of the animals (must inquire ahead). All in all, a great place to stay while visiting Victoria Falls. We enjoyed our time in Zimbabwe and the lodge but wished we'd had a couple more days.

Room Tip: Get a room number 50 or above for a better view of the watering hole.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Hi there. Thanks for describing the 'breathtaking setting' so nicely. Yes, the guided drives into the reserve are a wonderful experience and certainly worth doing as an activity. It's wonderful to experience the bush beyond the confines of the lodge - however wonderful and comfortable.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We thought we would start our safari in Victoria Falls and ease into Africa in our first trip. We were keen to see Victoria Falls and walk with the Lions. The accommodation was excellent we were upgraded to a King room which was separate from the main building with a bedroom and bathroom upstairs and a lounge and bathroom downstairs.

The shuttle to Victoria Falls national park was great and made things easy.

We also did a helicopter ride and sunset cruise and it was convenient to be picked up from the lodge.

The restaurant was nice with great views to the waterhole. We saw elephants from our room at the waterhole.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank escape123

Hi there, it sounds like you had a wonderful start to your safari in Africa and we are so glad you could share the memories with us. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Spent a great weekend with some friends. Brilliant views of the game and birdlife of the area. Very friendly and helpful staff. A regular transfer into town and the Vic Falls was a bonus. Will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks so much for recommending us! We'd love to have you and your friends back any time.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I LOVED the stunning views of the animals at the waterhole from my balcony, 25 elephants putting on a show, crocodiles, impala, birds and monkeys, but the room was not very clean. There were dead moths on the dirty carpet that should have been vacuumed up. The mosquito nets surrounding the beds had dead bugs caught in them, and the bathroom had the same living bugs in the shower stall for the two nights I stayed here. The food was good, but not great....fresh wart hog meat SMOTHERED in sweet sauce, just plain ruined the taste (leave the sauces on the side). Breakfast was fine, with a complimentary Bloody Mary self service bar to get your day going...lol. The complimentary dinner at Boma was fun, dancing, face painting, African drums playing, but other than the salad bar and soup, the food was inedible, and I mean inedible. Tough lamb, impossible to cut or chew, overcooked dried out chicken kabobs, beef and wart hog sent me running back to the fresh, and good selection from the salad bar. I know it's Africa, and it's rustic, but every sleeping accommodation should be clean....this was not. Surprisingly enough, I would recommend this lodge, but I'm sorry I didn't speak up about the housekeeping issues when I was there.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Osolemio1
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Hi there in New York! Thanks so much for your feedback. And I'm glad that overall, you had a great time with us at Vic Falls.

Regarding your comment about the rooms, we have discussed this with the cleaning team and they appreciate the feedback. We are always trying to improve. However it should also be noted that this time of year is particularly bad for insects as there is so much water and heat around. If one leaves a window or door open with lights on it can lead to lots of insects entering.

We appreciate the constructive feedback as always,