“Relaxing Way to Watch the Wildlife”

Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Vancouver, Canada
“Relaxing Way to Watch the Wildlife”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Although, I have visited Vic Falls several times, this was my first stay at the Lodge. The Lodge and all rooms are built to overlook the 'Watering Hole'. You can sit on your balcony or in the
lounge or at the Pool as all areas look at the visiting Wildlife.

Rooms are spacious & clean with a large balcony. Food in the Restaurant or Bar is very good and staff are all very pleasant and hard working.

Safari outings are available as well as a shuttle service to The Elephant Mall. A lovely place to visit with excellent shops and a great little Café. Try one of their Milkshakes. Behind the Mall is the Craft Fair. Prices are excellent and the local people really need your support.

The Boma (African Barbeque) is an great place to end your tour. A Buffet Dinner - 'regular food' as well as 'Game Meats' are on offer. Try the Wart Hog Steaks...delicious!! Service and entertainment is excellent. Just a fun experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marcella0
AfricaAlbidaTourism, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi there Marcella, thanks for your review. Yes, our view of the watering hole is one of the best things about the lodge. You never know what animals might sneak into view. Our staff love what they do and we certainly pride ourselves on great food. We are glad you enjoyed the outings and the Boma certainly is one of the best ways to finish a day. Hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Hudson
gm@saflodge.co.zw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel is simply stunning, a lot of attention to detail. Staff seemed very attentive. The breakfast buffet was included with our room and it was delightful though a bit small for the amount of people descending upon it- Also if breakfast was included in your stay and you ordered off the menu it took FOREVER to get the food... don't know if the fact that it was included had anything to do with it or not. I had dinner twice there. I was not overly impressed with the price to food quality ratio. The bread they serve before the meal is awesome. I ordered a quite expensive filet mignon and got a fatty ribeye looking thing. All in all I would say eat lunch and breakfast here but spend your money elsewhere for dinner if possible....or stick to the soups. Bottom line- amazing hotel, ok dinner, fine for breakfast and lunch :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for your review! We are so glad you think our lodge is stunning, there are so many who agree. It's unfortunate that you did not have a great meal and we hope this was just a once off. The meals are all prepared with as much love an effort as we can muster and there's no reason breakfast, lunch, or dinner should be any different. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Hudson
gm@saflodge.co.zw
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great staff, excellent food, and plenty of wildlife to start your trip. Plenty of warthog taking care of the lawn, vervet monkeys on the balcony (keep the door closed), bushbuck by the front door, and a great waterhole that affords views of buffalo and elephants while having a sundowner.

Had a very good dinner with some friends who live in Vic Falls and service was excellent and an enjoyable time was had by all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Nicky Q, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for such a crisp and enthusiastic four-star review of our lodge - the food, the staff, the wildlife all found great favour with you. And, of course, the 12,000 sq km Chobe National Park awaits just a few hours away from Victoria Falls on good roads for one of the finest safari experiences on earth. Take a look at Ngoma Safari Lodge on Trip Advisor and stay there for the time of your life in the authentic wilds. Jonathan Hudson. resort General Manager. gm@saflodge.co.zw
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2013

VFSL is a lovely African styled hotel with lovely views and staff. It’s almost like being on safari as you sit at the back of the resort watching game come up to the watering hole. Best part is you can view the game from the balcony in your room, at the bar, on the deck, at the pool, at the blind, or even at dinner in the evening. There are floodlights that light up the back area at night for game viewing. Make sure you take some good binoculars or rent some from the front desk.

And at sunset, at least in July, the sun sets on the horizon just over top the watering hole. Great picture opportunities. There might be a better class hotel in town (not for sure), but you likely won’t get the views.

We stayed here three nights, which was about right for us to visit the Victoria Falls area. One night is not enough and two is probably the bare minimum.

Some final last tidbits, at the hotel they have vulture feeding every day at 1pm. You need to see it up close at least once. Visa is the preferred credit card in Zimbabwe, however this hotel does take Master Card. US dollars are the official currency in Zimbabwe. That’s the currency you will get at the ATM. If you can before you arrive in country, try to get lots of $1’s and $5’s for tipping and miscellaneous purchases. Getting small change isn’t always easy as the ATM’s kick out big bills.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MartyParty4
Thank you Marty for such a positive review. As you say if it's LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION then VFSL is impossible to surpass in the Victoria Falls area - the real wilderness and wildlife just 10 minutes from the centre of the town with spectacular views to a distant horizon and over the waterhole.

We are particularly pleased that your review doesn't just offer comments but contains a few pieces of golden advice - binoculars are very important to bring on safari and enhance the experience greatly. Also your advice on bringing small denominations of US$ notes is excellent for tips and small purchases. Jonathan Hudson. Resort General Manager. gm@saflodge.co.zw
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed four nights here and perhaps as being a solo traveller didn't totally enjoy my stay. For the majority of my stay I had a family with young children next door who were at times quite noisy and could be heard clearly through the walls, I also had a couple who sat on their balcony and talked for hours and could basically hear every word. As there are no TV's in the room (which I appreciate the rationale for), it was difficult to mitigate the noise. I understand this cannot be controlled, but it really did detract from my stay as there is not a lot to do on the grounds so a lot of my down time between tours was spent in my room where I would like to read but found it difficult. I did stay in numerous lodgings across Africa over the course of a month, and this was definitely the noisiest place I resided in. I did attempt to visit the communal TV area a couple of times to have some time away from the room, however found it was being monopolised by people watching sports channels which was not of interest to me.

The room views overlooking the water hole are nice, and on one of the four nights I did have some great game viewing of elephants and buffalo. The buffalo were actually right near my balcony later in the evening which was great. There are also many water hogs grazing on the property. Service was hit and miss for my stay. I booked a massage and when I turned up at the allocated time walked into someone else's session, and was told by the masseuse I had the time wrong (even though I showed her my booking slip) and told to just come back later. I went back to the booking desk where they actually confirmed I had the right time, and in fact determined they had accidentally booked someone else in across my time slot. I felt embarrassed for having interrupted someone else's session and made to feel it was my error. I felt the masseuse was somewhat dismissive of me, though the staff at the booking desk were at least apologetic for the mix up and gave me a specific time to return, rather than just telling me to 'come back later' where I could have interrupted another session! Perhaps the door should be locked so as to avoid a session being interrupted again in the future!

I had dinner one night at the Makuwa-Kuwa restaurant. The service was very fast in my experience, however I was served a raw Salmon (it was definitely beyond rare) , however the staff quickly rectified this. Otherwise the rest of the food was very good. Breakfast service was slower, but the food was overall good. I did have some minor issues in my room such as the air con not working, however again the staff were quick to rectify this. You do need to pay US$5 to purchase a card for the communal Internet, and at times due to roof repairs being carried out during my stay found bits of straw falling on top of me as I was trying to utilise the lodge computers! I only received a notice in my room that roof repairs were being carried out after this happened, so wasn't exactly expecting that! The rooms are fine, however I do understand they are undergoing refurbishment and may be of a higher standard once this is complete.

For me personally I would have preferred to be closer to town and in a property with more to do, as I did pay more to stay here on the advice of my travel agent for a better quality lodging and just didn't feel it was the right place for me. I understand that for many they do have a more positive view, and think it is perhaps more about personal taste.

• Stayed July 2013
glenbyrom, General Manager at Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Greetings to you in Melbourne. Thank you for posting your review and being measured and gracious in your criticisms. I humbly apologise for the issues you raise, especially the noise factor as you obviously had a rowdy family next door that disturbed your personal space and set the tone for your mood. Yes, travelling alone is lonely and you obviously would have preferred to be near the action in the town centre rather than in a piece of idyllic and authentic Africa with no-one to share it with.

Yes, all rooms will be totally re-styled early in the new year and this will include important designs and structures that heighten the privacy and lower the noise factor when there are those who are rowdy and festive in their rooms rather than relaxed, as our environment deserves and promotes. Jonathan Hudson. Resort General Manager. gm@saflodge.co.zw
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Each morning I rushed to open the drapes and see what animals were outside my balcony this morning. Evenings I wondered which would be the last I would see at the watering hole before turning in. Never disappointed as each day brought surprises. Birds, elephants, monkeys, hippos and a variety of deer species and others came and went throughout the day. The staff was friendly and helpful the food had me wanting seconds. The setting is what one would hope to find at an upscale resort in Africa offering other interesting side trips if desired. I give Victoria Falls Safari Lodge an A+.

Room Tip: Have the watering hole in sight, Please note I traveled in May of 2012 which was not an option on y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello Barbara. You paint such a vivid picture and your excitement and anticipating are evident. Thank you for such an enthusiastic review and for making people appreciate that there are son many surprises that await if you keep alert and enjoy all the various sights and sounds of the raw African bush at our lodge. Jonathan Hudson. Resort General Manager. gm@saflodge.co.zw
Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at this hotel. It was a very nice hotel with an African bush theme - a perfect way to start our safari holiday. We ate at each of their restaurants and enjoyed the food. The show at the Boma was average at best but there really isn't anything else to do around the hotel. We took the Flight of Angels 25-minute helicopter ride which was well worth doing to see the span of the Falls and lots of wildlife below. We also took a day canoe trip on mild rapids which was fine. We needed to come to Vic Falls anyway for the beginning of our Botswana safari vacation however, if you have the choice, I'd skip it. Given all the impressive sights in the world, this is not one of them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EmilyWaugh
Hello Emily. Thanks for your four-star review that has left our team somewhat bemused like a wounded buffalo...hurt but not down and out! We value your headline and four stars as a real compliment, but we must provide our view of your advice to "skip the falls" as a destination. Over countless years many thousands of visitors from all over the globe have visited the falls and have been astonished by its awesome power and magnitude. It is routinely rated as one of the "must-see-in-your-lifetime" sights and I cannot recall a single person being anything other than mesmerised. However, we bow to your right of opinion, but I would dearly love to hear from you as to how you reached this rating....what is it that aggravated you or that you didn't enjoy? Did you take your time to walk the entire mile-wide distance of the Falls and stop and every vantage point? These are the most majestic falls in the world; more than twice the size of Niagara and the centrepiece of Victoria Falls being such a world-class and desired destination. Perhaps we should post an opinion poll to see if there are others who share your viewpoint as it would be an interesting survey for us. No matter, we thank you for staying with us and for appreciating that our setting is genuine and not contrived. This is real Africa just 10 minutes from the falls and the town centre. With good wishes. Jonathan Hudson. Resort General Manager. gm@saflodge.co.zw