Elephant Camp was included in our Botswana-Zambia trip so we could 'check off' Victoria Falls. I didn't expect much, frankly there website pics need to be updated
- the place was excellent. The GM and ALL the rest of the staff were polite, informed, accommodating.Extremely clean rooms, main area, grounds.
The location was a 10-15 minute drive from the Falls but in a private concession. Must be 7-8 miles distant from the falls but even in the end of the dry season you could see the mist and hear the water
The room was immense, large 'tent, with some minimal air conditioning (it was 90+ degrees first week September). King bed, living room, full bath with shower and tub, plus an outdoor shower, deck and small (very cold) plunge pool.
100 yard walk to main 'tent' where you had a very nice formal sitting room, bar, reading area; outside a large deck with plenty of space for guests to dine and lounge. Food was excellent, seriously, excellent and varied. Fun moment was head waiter 'announces' the meal to guests before serving.
Fun #2: nearby ' elephant orphanage' brought over a rescued 2 year old Cheetah at breakfast. You can visit the rescue camp as its on the same grounds a couple miles away.
Some good game viewing from the room (monkeys, antelope) in the morning.
Falls were out of this world as expected - and, when we left to go into Zambia for Livingstone airport, we realized how much less of a hassle and time it was being in Zimbabwe vs. Zambia when trying to get to the falls. Zim customs is a nightmare and easily add an hour+ each way to get to the falls.
Dropped in at the Vic. Falls hotel after visiting the falls, the grand Dame of the area, and it has finished a nice overhaul and looks very nice - but I'll take the Elephant Camp. While not a real safari experience like all the other camps we visited on this trip it was a nice break and still made you feel you were on safari - sort of.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Elephant Camp has breathtaking views of the Victoria Falls' spray and the spectacular gorges which separate Zimbabwe and Zambia. The Elephant Camp is a luxury, intimate lodge under canvas within easy reach of Victoria Falls (approximately 10 km) and all its attractions and activities, yet secluded in its own private game reserve. The Elephant Camp offers exclusive suite accommodation for only 24 adults in 12 luxury tents. The 'Elephant Camp West' consists of 4 luxury tents that sleep 8 adults and 8 children (all are equipped to become family rooms with comfortable sleeper couches). (Children not included in total occupancy) All suites are gorge facing and boast a private viewing deck and plunge pool, private lounge area, air-conditioning and fans, bath (with a view), inside and outside shower, mini bar and tea/coffee stations. INCLUDED: Accommodation and all meals, drinks (excluding premium brands), complimentary mini bars in the rooms. Return Victoria Falls Airport transfers & two transfers to Victoria Falls town per day. Laundry & Emergency Medical Evacuation cover. Lunch at the Lookout Cafe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia and Orbitz so you can book your The Elephant Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Elephant Camp Hotel Victoria Falls