“Loved this place simply amazing!”
Review of The Elephant Camp

The Elephant Camp
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I had the I had the privilege of spending two amazing nights at the camp that happened to be the two best nights of my vacation. Each tent was a suite with amazing views and every amenity one could dream of on a beautiful reservation. Laura and Jonathan as well as the rest of the staff made sure every detail was taken care of while making me feel like a long lost friend visiting from a faraway place. I am so glad I stayed here and I would recommend this place to anyone seeking some serenity and luxury at close to the falls.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank justpeachy52
There are newer reviews for The Elephant Camp

Reviewed April 29, 2011

Jonathan picked up early morning from our hotel in Vic Falls. Along the way he told us the history of the camp and surroundings. We were welcomed with drinks and our luggage was taken to our rooms. After checking in, we were shown the amazing amenities that the camp has to offer. Food was AWESOME ++++!!!! Overall Treatment was AWESOME++++!!!

Made an average middle class husband/wife feel like a king and a queen for a day.

Simply AMAZING!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jerrodtr
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We were on our honeymoon and stayed for 3 nights (wish we stayed longer), Jonathan, Moses and staff are truly wonderful, so is the Camp. It is rated at 5 star but should be upgraded to 7 stars. Fantastic hospitality, wonderful food and all the staff were so friendly. We had 2 free trips into town each day and nothing was too much trouble for anyone at the camp. Beautiful suite's, great view of the spray from the falls, so peaceful. We met the Elephants and their resident cheetah. I wasn't feeling too well and my new hubby asked Jonathan if he had any medicine which he didn't, but he jumped into his car and drove into town and bought medicine for me! what a gem. Highly recommended.
Chrissie & Benny McCabe, Johannesburg, South Africa.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrissie10307
Reviewed April 8, 2011

What a great place to stay, very relaxed, staff and management terrific even got to travel in managers Mercedes, food was great as well. Seven start.

Room Tip: Any room would be great
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dogsey
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Just back from a few days at the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, where I took my parents for a week’s vacation. I asked the travel agent for a place that we can meet elephants and interact with elephants as it has always been my mother’s dream to touch an elephant. The travel agent came back to me with “The Elephant Camp” just outside the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe.

Well, I have been in the Five Star Hotel business for the past 20 years and have a good idea of hospitality and The Elephant Camp has it all. Don’t get me wrong. If you like your pamperings and frills the Four Seasons, Hyatt, etc, stay away. Not for you. But you will sure miss a real gem of the wild. This is an elegant 9 Tent (Villa) lodge that is way above the rest. Each tent is secluded in the bush, but close enough that you do not get lost in the wild – you are in a game reserve. And these tents are amazing. Each tent is divided into three sections, the bedroom, the bathroom and the lounge. And to add to the value each tent has its own little swimming pool, so you can cool off after a hot day and watch the world (animals) go by AND an outdoor shower. The bedroom is in the middle and even if you lay on the bed you get a nearly 180° view bush in front of you. At night don’t even bother closing any curtains or drapes. I slept with everything open and woke up to the most beautiful sunrises every morning. Don’t worry, there is netting on the tent windows to keep the insects out. The lounge it tastefully decorated with a comfy couch, coffee table and mini bar. The bathroom is splendid. If you sit in the bath, you actually get the feeling that you are sitting outside. And there is an outdoor shower. Showering at night with all the lights off, under the stars is an experience.

Then there is the main tent area. A nice lounge, bar, dining room with a patio and a large pool. Every day you can sit outside and enjoy your meal with the wild animals in the distance. And I must admit the food was great. Just enough to make sure you add a few kilograms. What I like about it is that the Chef comes out every evening and explains what is for dinner (it is a preset set menu – not to worry all you fussy people, Jonathan will ask if you have any special requests on arrival). Lunch is a light lunch that is well presented and really tasty. You could tell by the silence of all the guests nice the food arrived.

A huge asset and I mean a HUGE asset is the staff. They made our stay. From the ever so entertaining and chatty Jonathan, the quieter Moses to all the rest of the staff, our stay way splendid. We were made to feel welcomed as if we were in their home. Even the security guard that walked you to your tent at night was a pleasure.

Now for the real reason we went their – ELEPHANTS. The Elephant Camp is in a reserve that looks after elephants. I will not say much about the reserve (you can read about it here: http://www.wildhorizonstrust.org/) as this is about the lodge. But every day at least twice a herd of elephants came past our tents to graze. Some days just meters away. And you can go on an Elephant safari that is a phenomenal experience. And let’s not forget the local ambassador – Sylvester the cheater who kindly graces us with his presence by sitting on the lap of an Australian…….

In short – seeing is believing and you have to experience this one!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank ReluctantRoamer
Reviewed January 7, 2011

If you are going to visit Zimbabwe,(and I encourage you to do so) be sure to visit Victoria Falls and spend at least one night at "The Elephant Camp". Jonathan and Moses are the fantastic hosts at this tented camp that is simply wonderful. When my husband said we were going to stay in a tented camp I was sceptical to say the least (I don't do camping). However I should have known better. This camp is definitely NOT camping. Each tent is huge and seperated into three luxurious rooms bedroom with giant four poster bed, lounge with large comfy sofas and tea/coffee making facilities and homemade biscuits and fully stocked bar fridge and bathroom with nice deep bath and a shower and lovely fluffy towels. Each tent has an outside deck with outside shower and a pool built for two"'a cuddle puddle".sunloungers and a table and chairs. The rooms are very private and unoverlooked and the view from the deck is bush and the distant horizon.
Meals are taken on the large veranda near the main reception area and are excellent.
I would strongly recommend this resort for a romantic getaway, marriage proposal or even honeymoon.
After a hot and humid day of sightseeing at "The Falls" Elephant Camp was a wonderful and unexpected slice of luxury.
We intend to go bacK!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Rima T
Reviewed November 11, 2010

WOW, this camp was fabulous!! I recommend anyone who is keen on a luxury tented camp experience combined with excellent staff. Jonathan and Moses were very hospitable and friendly throughout my stay. The food was fantastic, Kate the chef always supplied an abundance of food (too much to finish at night) but always perfectly cooked.

There are wandering warthog and buffalo near the camp, you can see waterbuck and other antelope below your accommodation if your lucky! The interaction with the elephants is also a wonderful surprise. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo