“My opinion!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Walking with Lions at Victoria Falls

Walking with Lions at Victoria Falls
More attraction details
Owner description: Africa's first genuine programme to ethically re-introduce the offspring of rehabilitated captive-bred African lion back into the wild, helping safeguard the future of the king of the beasts. Join us for a lion walk and learn all about this fascinating creatures!
Barnsley, United Kingdom
692 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,796 helpful votes
“My opinion!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a rather controversial activity & being a major animal lover & hate animal exploitation, I thought long & hard before booking this activity.
Staying at the Elephant Camp, I bumped into Ed who has worked at the Lion Walking organisation for 6 years & had tagged & microchipped at least 60% of the lions going through the program. Ed assured me that the malicious claims about this place were unfounded.
There are 4 stages to the program 1) breed lions in captivity 2)Obtain funds & awareness from the public by conducting these walks with the bred lions. They have just been given a piece of land by the Zimbabwan Government where they can release the older lions with supervision. 3) Allow the mature, tamed lions to breed in controlled enviroment, where they can be fed but have minimal human contact 4) the offspring of the tamed lions, will in effect be wild animals & me removed to other lion habitat when old enough.
They are currently at Stage 2, they are trying to make profits to fund their project & need our help to raise awareness & provide funding.
On the day we were there, the lions had ran off to follow the scent of wild lions & therefore we didn't get to walk with them & the next day we were rained off!
Very disappointing, but at least they were not dragged from a cage to order for our entertainment! I have donated my refunded trip to them to help this worthy cause.
There is no suggestion that this is an ideal situation, but with world lion populations getting to the 'endangered' levels, something needs to be done.

Visited January 2014

79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Cubby Encounter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

A unique encounter. Every walk session lasts about two hours. All participants have equal share of time to walk and touch the lions. During the course of this encounter, my observation of this activity could not help leaning thinking, we, the precipitants are exploiting these lion cubs. At the end of the walk session the facility staffs gave the group an overall introduction of this facility's mission. The facility's objective is to re-introduce these lions born to captivity back to the wild. The facility's intent is noble, and for those who like to help in this effort, donation is always welcome and in need. In all honesty, I personally would not participate this activity in the future, I would make contribution to the facility without participating walking with these lions. All thou, no doubt, it was a fascinating experience.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank youngcats
Newcastle, Australia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“A marvellous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our trip to Africa. We were so lucky to be able to interact with these amazing animals. This is a conservation program and although they are used to human interaction they do eventually go back into the wild to form their own prides. You learn a great deal about them. It is well organised and everyone gets a chance to interact on quite a few occasions. They organise breakfast as well for you. PIck up and drop off at lodge is also included. Definitely worth doing.

Visited October 2013
wollongong
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

We really enjoyed this experience and felt safe at all times with many keepers with us on the walk.

The lions are young males so while wild animals they are not fully grown. The safety briefing was clear.

The guides took photos with your own cameras and then videoed the walk. The price for the video was very reasonable so worth the extra spend.

I found the tour reasonably priced, it is supporting the local community to focus on conservation of wildlife. It was interesting talking to the guide about how he moved into this type of job.

The breakfast was nice and very relaxed.

I would recommend this to everyone.

Visited November 2013
Enschede, The Netherlands
“WAUW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

What a great experience! A once in a lifetime opportunity! It was one of my dreams! We felt save all the time, because of the great staff. They made is feel save, and told is a lot about the lions! For me it was also very important that is was for a very good cause! The staff made wonderfull pictures with our camera. It's something i will never forget. We were feeling privileged to walk with 2 beautiful lioness trough a fantastic environment! DON'T MISS IT!!

Visited October 2013