“Close Encounter of the Lion Kind” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Walking with Lions at Victoria Falls

Walking with Lions at Victoria Falls
More attraction details
Owner description: Africa's first genuine programme to ethically re-introduce the offspring of rehabilitated captive-bred African lion back into the wild, helping safeguard the future of the king of the beasts. Join us for a lion walk and learn all about this fascinating creatures!
Northwood
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Close Encounter of the Lion Kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was one of the most amazing experiences, getting up close and personal with these amazing creatures - walking along side them, watching them play and hunt (one caught a bird while we were watching them), stroking them and even patting their bellies like a dog. The whole experience is well organised and professional with an excellent explanation of the breeding and repopulation programme funded by the walks and also a good safety briefing. The DVD sold at the end is of your walk with your lions - not a generic tourist video like some other places - and is well worth buying.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank MisterDoctor

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Beacon, New York
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“AWESOME - but do NOT buy the video”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We were a party of four and joined others for a Walk with the Lions on about 6-3-11, which we booked thru Ilala Lodge, where we stayed. It was fantastic to be so close and touch a wild animal. I had no idea that the lions are dwindling in the wild. It was extremely educational. There are not enough adjectives to describe the animals and the feeling. No regrets except we purchased the video. We were assured that when we get back home to the US we could relive the experience and share it with friends and family. Well it's now 7-19-11 and I've exchanged numerous emails and I still have nothing to show for it. It was a waste of money.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank dad414
Langley, Canada
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 239 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was an absolutely fabulous experience for us! We were picked up form the hotel in Vic Falls and then driven to the open range to meet the rest of the small group. Our guides briefed us on the rehabilitation project and then provided information on the lion behavior and specific instructions as to how to interact with them during the walk. The 3 lions who joined us were between 1-1.5 years old. They were very alert and playful with one another and us. They certainly seemed to enjoy walking alongside us and having their tummies or backs rubbed whilst they rolled in the grass. I was initially uncertain as to the ethics of such an experience, however after seeing how healthy and alert the lions were, my concerns about their well being vanished. This was an experience we will never forget.

Visited July 2010
4 Thank banditoo
Manchester, United Kingdom
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 253 helpful votes
“Do Not Miss This!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

This walk is truely a magical experience!! Before the walk was a quick briefing about the do's and dont's, tuck all dangly things away (including my long ponytail!) and then before the walk they gave each one of us a stick (looked like a large twig and was for telling the Lions off should they get angry - I really dont know how such a thing was meant to work though which we all thought was funny!) The group was quite large but there was still a lot of interaction with the Lions. One of them even sneezed on me! The guides walked everyone and the Lions into the bush where we were allowed to pet them for great photo opportunities. Then we also watched them get fed and learn how they are tought to hunt for the food. What a great experiecne this was. It was also filmed and you have the opportunity to buy the DVD once the walk has ended.

4 Thank Camacho87
San Diego, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“WOW!!! I will remember this for life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!
This was such a fantastic experience! There was just 2 people in our group, so we had a very personal experience. We got to have 3 lions, with 3 trainers, guide, and the 2 of us. So it was great to walk and experience these 12 month old lions in the bush for 30 minutes.
The guides are great at taking photos with your own camera - so you get lots to remember it by.
I'm probably skeptical about what happens to the lions when they reach 2 years old and are sent to the breeding facility. I want to believe that it is true, but read another review that might have a more accurate reflection. Even knowing this though, this experience was so unique to touch and walk with lions, that I would do this again.

This is the 1 picture/experience I share with everyone of my 30 day trip in Africa.

7 Thank SanFranciscoBritGirl