“Not Worth It”

Mama Africa Eating House
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The only people I can see this restaurant appealing to would be tourists who have never ventured outside of the cities in Africa. The food is very basic fare that would be typically found in the villages - for about ten times less. If you're okay with this then you'll probably enjoy it. We didn't appreciate this at all, however.

Overall, mediocre food at a very high price and with a touristy ambiance. For the price we paid we had expected delicious and it most definitely wasn't.

There are newer reviews for Mama Africa Eating House

Reviewed December 30, 2012

If you want good food with a good atmosphere, this is definitely the place to be.

Traditional Zimbabwean food available and live music. The African dancers are likley to turn up as well.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great food and a real authentic atmosphere. Food was delicious and plentyful. Great outdoor setting and we had live music.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We dined here because at 6 pm the main hotel restaurants hadn't started serving the evening meal yet and we were hungry.

Firstly, we were immediately seated, provided with menu's, our orders taken and drinks delivered. We then waited 28 minutes for the starter (garlic bread). It looked great - a partial breadloaf with tomato slices, cheese and garlic spread with a side salad. Unfortunately, it tasted and had the texture of something which had been sitting in the fridge (or even freezer) for some time and then poorly, very poorly, reheated in a microwave. After we finished and the plates removed, it was then another 10 minutes before my main meal was delivered - note, my main and not that of my dining partner. His turned up 4 minutes afterwards and I had already started eating as the vegies on the side were quickly cooling.

The meals themself - I had a local hotpot and it was outstanding. The taste was divine, there was plenty of it and the staff were very helpful in descibing before order the taste and spice levels so I got a meal I could enjoy. Think local spiced beef stew. My dining partner had a rump, not a good selection. It was very thin and was probably no more than 150 g. We didn't get the opportunity to request a cooking preference but medium-well done was how it was delivered.

Overall, if you have the time to wait and stick to the local hotpots you won't be disappointed. They had a live band setting up just as we were leaving and by 7 pm a multitude of guests had started to arrive so the atmosphere would be lively. If you are short of time or intend to stick to the more western-meals then I would recommend waiting until the main hotel restaurants are serving and pay the extra money.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Ok for a snack, pleasant service, and simple food, good if your on a budget. Music playing made the evening.

1  Thank Flymebabe