“SUPER”

Amanzi Lodge
Ranked #1 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Harare
“SUPER”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

i stayed at Amanzi Lodge for the 2nd time in Nov, { i arrived a day late and it was no problem at all, offcourse since it was my fault i paid for the late arrival }. Even Better i got one of the new rooms-- EGYPT { higher priced but simply superb }Great service as usual,Looked forward to the Breakfast every morning. Good Food at the Lodge itself. Had some Clients in for a semi Corporate Dinner one Evening and it was well taken care of. thank you Amanzi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dax C
Jama24, Owner at Amanzi Lodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
It is always lovely to read a headline like "super". We are particularly pleased you enjoyed one of our new Suites, Egypt.
For the last year we have worked on up-grading the rooms and the facilities at Amanzi Lodge and now we are working on inspiring the chefs and upgrading the food. We have a special consultant helping us at the moment and we are getting a lot of great feedback. I hope you notice the difference when you next come and stay at Amanzi.
With thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
South Africa
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed there on a business trip, in the Seychelles room. The room was beautiful, the service and food 5 stars. I also booked my transfers and taxis to meetings with them. I've been in Harare a few times before and this is the BEST place to stay. They offer free working internet (which is a rare find in Africa). If you go to Harare you must stay here. it is a bit far out if you have meetings in the city centre but it's worth the drive (time depends on the traffic: 20 to 45 min). There are no good hotels in town.
Will be back on my next trip!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Keli_SA
Jama24, Owner at Amanzi Lodge, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for your encouraging review. Our aim at Amanzi is to entertain business travellers and make them feel they are on holiday! We hope to create this by designing a really lovely environment for them to relax in. The biggest compliment is when our business travellers bring their families back on holiday. I am so pleased to hear our staff made you feel welcome.
We hope to see you back in the future.
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I chose this hotel/lodge based on the Tripadvisor reviews and I am glad I did. It is like an oasis in Harare. I could have spent the whole day on the property relaxing and wish I had time to do so. The atmosphere of the lodge is cozy and unique. I stayed in the Congo room, which was closest to reception. It was a good size, beds very comfortable, working DSTV, nice large well appointed bathroom. There was a buffet breakfast with made to order hot food. All the staff were very nice. I will be staying here the next time I am in Harare, maybe in the Seychelles room. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I took a tour of the property and I liked the Congo, Seychelles, and Kenya rooms the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank nep1984
Jama24, Owner at Amanzi Lodge, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Really glad to hear you enjoyed one of our new Suites. All 4 new Suites are so different and everyone seems to prefer a different one. The bottom Suites are very exotic with the enormous beds set in the middle of the room and the outdoor showers, but the top Suites have the charm of the outside verandahs, that are very luxurious. Hopefully you will get the chance to test out all 4!
The food is about to get even better at Amanzi Lodge now we have employed the services of a top class chef.
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were booked into a hotel in the city centre and the Trip Advisors screamed at us saying we should avoid them no matter what. The Trip Advisers for Amanzi were helpful and were supported by our contacts in Harare. We booked into the Uganda suite. It had a lovely king size bed with inviting linen. The bathroom was a treat with quality toiletries. There is a balcony overlooking the tennis courts and the gardens with the fridge and plenty of seating to enjoy the early evening. The breakfast is individually prepared with much pride put into the presentation. Breakfast can be had outside in the garden. Our real surprise was the dinner. The best we have had for a long time and that includes all the places we went to in Boston and NYC last month. Well prepared, exactly to order, quality ingredients, and served hot. I had a fillet steak and my wife a Parmesan herb chicken filet and we both had Thai chicken soup. Simple yet absolutely delicious. And not expensive. We rounded this off with a relaxing Spa treatment with Peta.
The only negatives were that the room was probably over furnished making getting past the bed difficult and hunt the light switch game when wanting to sleep.
We stayed 2 nights on our way to Nyanga and on return - we stayed in the Uganda suite both nights.

Room Tip: Select a suite. Ask for one that has been most recently opened.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob N
Jama24, Owner at Amanzi Lodge, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your really wonderful review of our lodge.
We really appreciate the comments as it helps us address details that we might have missed.
Uganda is a new room and having read your comment about finding the light switch I have asked our Managers to make sure they explain very well to future guests who are checking in.
We designed Uganda to have several different lighting options. There is the bright reading lights, the subtle lamp lighting or the moody red lighting. The main switch tends to hide behind the curtain sometimes, which can be confusing. We will make sure we explain it very well in future, so guests can take full advantage of the different options.
Cape Town
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My first nights were flying solo and I was pleasantly surprised when the management came up to talk to me while I was seated at the table, on my own, waiting for dinner, flitting between working on my laptop and mindless staring into the log fire. She was pleasant, helpful, offered activities I could possibly be interested in or want to do to pass the evening times on my own. The meals were simple, hearty and well cooked although limited choice for longer stays. The finishing touches in the rooms are thoughtful and even the smallest elements catered for. The rooms are well decorated and furnished in true African style with high end toiletries and smaller details like heated bedding for those, like myself, who fear the chill. I would not have thought about coming to Harare on a holiday and would never have thought that such a lovely oasis is hidden behind the high guarded walls. I loved that wireless was offered which kept me working into the wee hours and connected to the lifeline of home. It is a little compound with beautifully manicured gardens and the gym is a delight to balance the relaxation and laziness the communal areas command of the body and mind (it is almost impossible to walk past but not to flop into the big cushioned loungers under the thatched hideaways). Outside the oasis is dusty and un-kept, with run down roads and non existing paving. It wasn’t easy to find as there are not many road signs and this gem is hidden in a suburb. When joined by my partner, the experience balanced itself to a place to enjoy the time in the offered amenities. We also attended the Thursday night ‘bash’ at the AMANZI restaurant a few kilometers away which catered to the food lovers, music lovers and social bar lovers alike. To sum it up, this place is more than a luxury accommodation place, it is a luxury hideaway catering for all business and personal needs, keeping it simple, keeping it personal, with the right balance of exposure to the friendly staff and management – they got this one right!!!!

Room Tip: The new room are amazing, but a little small for the longer stays.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Bridgette D
Jama24, Owner at Amanzi Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Amanzi Lodge. We have spent the last year putting all our efforts into making our new rooms really special, and it is wonderful to know they are being appreciated. For the longer staying guests we can offer various options and taylor make their stay to suit them better. We have fully equipped houses that have 5 star amenities, where guests can enjoy the luxury of a whole house to themselves. Pevensey Lodge is a another option, for long staying guests, as this large house offers the guest more space and a homely atmosphere. Lastly we are at present re-decorating Pevensey Cottage which will have 4 bedrooms and a self-catering facility. This will be a cheaper option to the lodges and houses and is designed for long staying guests.
Please let us know if you are staying for any length of time and we will design your accommodation needs accordingly.
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was my second time staying at the Amanzi Lodge and it was even better than the first. For one the grounds of the lodge are beautiful - lush and green and it feels like you're on a secluded resort. Since my last stay, they've built another unit with 3-4 rooms, a gym, and spa. Having the gym was a huge bonus - it's small, but has everything you need while out of town. I stayed in one of the new rooms - the Seychelles - and was blown away by how beautiful it was. Whoever is decorating the lodge has magnificent tastes. The customer service is always great and the food in the restaurant is excellent. Everything down to the smallest details, like the chocolates left on your bed in the evening, is perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Miriam H
Jama24, Owner at Amanzi Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. Seychelles is one of the new rooms and we had such fun decorating it. It catches the sun at the end of the day and sitting out on the verandah watching the sun set has to be one of the highlights of staying at Amanzi Lodge. We are glad you enjoyed the special touches in the room. A lot of effort goes into providing the very best Belgium Chocolates to be left on your pillow and our toiletries are all shipped in from Cape Town. We believe it is all in the smallest details, and we will keep trying to offer the best we can. Your reviews are so helpful to us, and it is always a wonderful compliment to know that the details are being appreciated.
Please let us know when you return to Amanzi Lodge and we will endeavour to make your stay just as memorable.
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed February 3, 2012

In a decaying city like Harare that seems to have had better days, Amanzi Lodge almost stand out as a beacon of hope for the future. This place is creative and awesome. I stayed there both in November 2010 and again in October 2011 and both times were awesome. The price tag is not small at $200-220, but that is about par for any place decent in Harare. The lodge is not in a convenient location unless you have transportation or someone who will be moving you around. Forget about any public transportation but private taxis are an option. It is about five miles from the city it seems in a great secure neighborhood. The lodges are individual and named for African countries with corresponding themes. They are really bound with nature, so expect critters to be around the grounds. The inside has awesome natural designs, great showers, great beds, fantastic toiletry products, flat screen TV's, good options, and all the necessary comforts. Back up generators are in force and internet works well on the grounds and decently in the rooms. Staff is great. Breakfast is good--meals are top class--among the best I have had in Africa. This is four star quality and you wont regret it. My business colleagues always books it, and it is a consensus choice as a top class place. It may not be great for conferences but small meetings are possible. Pick any lodge depending on your space needs. They are not cookie cutter in size. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Look at several lodge and pick according to taste. Internet works better closer to the main lodge an...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank doctorbird41
Jama24, Owner at Amanzi Lodge, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Thank you for the great review. Since you stayed with us we have now added four more rooms to our lodge: Morocco (new version), Egypt, Seychelles and Uganda. Other additions are a new Gym, Swimming Pool Entertainment Area and Spa Room. We hope to offer you another great stay in the future.