Tripadvisor
Harare
Post
Inbox
Search

“I’ve visited this place multiple”
Review of The Plot Cafe

The Plot Cafe
Ranked #57 of 205 Restaurants in Harare
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve visited this place multiple times, the food is often average, the waiters are friendly but the owner is incredibly racist.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (41)

Reviewed December 9, 2019 via mobile

Came here for brunch with friends. Nice selection of food choices and drinks. Reasonable prices too. Would come back here again.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019

Deciding to have a breakfast out at The Plot is worth doing. The tranquil surroundings of a plant nursery and the thatched roof = an easy relaxed meal. My favourite is Eggs Benedict- and a really good cup of filtered coffee..
It's well worth a try- you'll be back...

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 28, 2019

Remember I am reviewing this eatery in the context of its peers - it is not a five star restaurant and its not Nandos - its a café - no more no less - and should be judged as such
It is located in the midst of a plant and shrub nursery and is a thatched building with some outside eating areas - really just what you would expect - it is a bit draughty in the cold months but there is a pile of rugs for knees for those who want to use one. And access is well considered in one respect - a wheel chair slope gets you to the main eating area - but access to the loos is much more problematical - this needs to be sorted. 7 Brownlee Points
Service - Rowen, Willard and Thomas - very attentive - a ready smile and good memories. The kitchen was a tad slow - but bear in mind power cuts, gas stoves and other local annoyances and you have to say service was an 8+ Brownlee Points
The menu .... and the actual bits of paper were scruffy !! Reprints urgently needed - minus Brownlee Points
I cant speak for the whole menu but I had poached eggs on toast most mornings - to start with the chef was clueless as to how a poached egg should be - hard white soft yolk - simples ! But as you would expect of me, I expressed my disappointment by awarding daily marks out of ten to the waiters - until the chef came to see me - and I was able to explain what was needed - then she got it !! From that moment onwards the eggs scored 10 out of 10
Occasionally I added bacon - crispy bacon to my plate - which was always very hot indeed - as it should have been. Zim bacon is probably the best I have ever tasted on my travels - full flavoured - beautiful when crispy streaky and a real pleasure - I think it might be Garfunkels brand bacon from the pig unit of Rob Davenport - a local farmer of note - well this bacon is the best - 10 Brownlee Points.
Other dishes I had at lunch time were less memorable - and as such scored only 4 or 5 Brownlee Points
As to value - this was really excellent - breakfast with filter coffees came to about US$4 or $5
Jenny and Sheryl whose business it is have much to be proud of - but I think it is time to have a rethink of the menu - make it much smaller - improve the offer and freshen the facilities with a makeover.
I know it is only a café - but I think the location and potential are excellent - we don't want to "lose the plot" do we
Overall 7+ Brownlee Points and I will be a regular after the new year !

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 9, 2019

There used to be a deli at The Plot where you could buy two-litre bottles of freshly-squeezed orange. I'm sad that is no more. The surroundings are lovely and peaceful but breakfast for two was disappointing. Mountains of fried onions (not my favourite), miserable tiny fried tomato, the sweetcorn fritter had precisely two sweetcorn seeds buried away in lump of batter. It would be so easy to improve with a bit of supervision.

Date of visit: June 2019