“Very impressed with this hotel”
Review of Meikles Hotel

Meikles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I spent 3 nights at this hotel, 2 in a room in the older South Wing and 1 night in the new North Wing. The rooms in the South Wing are fine, pretty comfortable and well-equipped but don't compare with the rooms in the North Wing which are fantastic, larger and more modern. The bathrooms in the North Wing rooms are huge as well. One touch I appreciated in both rooms was the row of different types of sockets provided in which you can charge or plug in any sort of plug imaginable. This is a nice touch and the first such feature I've seen in any hotel I've stayed in.
The hotel itself is clean, plush and well-presented and the staff are just lovely. The food was really good in the two restaurants I tried at the hotel, and the high tea they serve in the lounge is well worth a try. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Saffer73
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Your five-star review is greatly appreciated by our entire team, especially your rating of the new North Wing rooms rooms as "fantastic." Little things do mean a lot to guests and several have commented very favourably on the easily-accessible row of sockets to fit all plugs.

The warmth and service-ethic of our staff are legendary and they take a great pride in ensuring that they uphold the status of Meikles as Zimbabwe's premier five-star luxury hotel. Indeed several of our staff have been with us for more than 20 years . Indeed some have been with us for more than 40 years and ensure that the hotel's fine heritage and pride is instilled in everyone.

We hope to welcome you back to Meikles when you next travel from Johannesburg on business. Tinashe Munjoma. generalmanager@meikles.com .

There are newer reviews for Meikles Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at Meikles for 4 days on my 6 day trip to Zimbabwe. The most evident strength of this hotel is their staff. From the front desk, to the bellboys, and housekeeping; all are extremely friendly and all seem like they can't do enough to make your stay the most enjoyable. On my return from Vic Falls, I did not pre-book a room, but Craig at the front desk was more than accommodating and while he could not give me the same room, he did place me on the same floor. (in the room next to where I had stayed a few days before).Checking out was extremely smooth and I thank the on duty supervisor Lorraine for her hospitality.
The room (Deluxe Park view) was very spacious, more so than some 5 stars I have stayed in across the world, bed was comfortable, TV channels with good variety, and the bathroom was large as well. All amenities are good standard.
The breakfast buffet I did not find particularly good (ate there twice), however the room service quality was excellent and delivered very quickly and all orders were accurate. (ordered 3 times)
I was recommended this hotel by several sources (friends in Harare and trip advisor) and I can comfortably say I would highly recommend this to any traveller and would definitely stay there again should I return to Harare.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nasib A

Thank you Nasib for your five-star review of Meikles from Dubai, where you certainly know all about world-class quality and service. Big smiles and the willingness to always go the extra mile to please are such positive attributes that are frequently highlighted by our guests. Certainly Craig and Lorraine appreciate your special mention of them as it inspires them and the entire team.

Millions of travelers refer to Trip Advisor for best neutral advice and your review will do us a power of good and is very timely as we have just completed our majestic US$9m upgrade and revitalisation. Indeed, the results are already there as this past week we have been totally full for the first time in some years. Tinashe Munjoma. generalmanager@meikles.com

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Finally....the North wing is open and what a wonderful job they have done with the rooms. Great furniture , keeping with the African theme. The air-conditioning worked better as well. The bathrooms are looking stunning though I did have some issues with the taps. Great improvement and hope to see the rest of the historic hotel updated in due course

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear ZMR in Dubai. Your review does us proud, thank you. We hope your lavish praise of our new rooms will inspire many other international guests to select Meikles as their luxury Harare hotel of choice and - through our legendary staff and their big smiles - afford them a genuine "home away from home." experience. We hope you will return and keep in touch as we move towards our centenary in 2015. Tinashe Munjoma.: General Manager

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Rooms are very nice with a very pleasant old british style. Beds are super comfortable with excellent quality linen, pillows and mattresses.The aircon was not working but temperatures in Harare were just fine at this time. You'll get all what you usually get in a 5 star in this region except surprisingly coffee.tea set in the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you in Nairobi for your generous review of our revitalized hotel and new luxury North Wing rooms. Yes, as you observe, we have not only re-decorated the rooms in fine traditional, yet modern, style but we have spared no expense to complete the picture with world-class luxury beds, linen, pillows and mattresses. As you have commented, these make a great difference to a guest's comfort and sense of well-being.

Please follow us on Facebook as we have many more stories to unfold! Facebook.com/meikleshotelzw Tinashe Munjoma. generalmanager@meikles.com

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 + 4 nights in the old part of the hotel. This wing needs a bit renovation, e.g. the aircondition in room 1154 did not work. However, the staff were friendly, and we enjoyed the a la carte restaurant several times. The Meikles taxi's were a expencive but very comfortable. Kind "guest service disk". At We will return next time.
Consultans from Denmark

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hifly555
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear HiFly, thank you for choosing Meikles Hotel for your business trip from Denmark to Zimbabwe. and for your favorable comments on our restaurants. I note you stayed in the old South Wing, but I do hope you got a chance to take a look at the new-style North Wing and that you enjoyed all the other dramatic changes we have recently made to our famous hotel at a cost of US$9m. I hope that you also enjoyed our legendary high tea.

Meikles turns 100 in 2015 and we shall be posting many interesting stories and nostalgic photos in the months to come. May we invite you to follow us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/meikleshotelzw

I also hope that when you visit Harare on business that you and your colleagues take the opportunity to spend at least a few nights at our Wonder of the World, Victoria Falls, where we recommend our sister hotel The Victoria Falls Hotel, also recently revitalised and commanding a fantastic location.

With best wishes, Tinashe Munjoma, General Manager Meikles Hotel. generalmanager@meikles.com

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Second time in the hotel and I found it better than first. Ask for a room in the north Wing, renovated and very nice. Excellent service. As many things there, very expensive.
Very good experience though.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Fenoswiss
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Thank you for your highly valued review of Meikles Hotel, particularly as your global travel experiences are evident by the countries you have visited, and hotels you have reviewed (40) as far afield as Spain, Israel, Philippines.Therefore your comments on our service excellence and the quality of our new North Wing rooms are greatly appreciated.

I see it's the second time you have stayed with us. I do hope there will be a third occasion quite soon as our official opening of our US$8.5m revitalisation takes place next week and our amazing interior decorators leave us tomorrow after completing the finishing touches. There are some incredible stories to tell about all the various designs, artefacts and creativity that only comes with such world-class interior designers. Please may I suggest that you follow us on Facebook so that you will see the photos and read the stories that will bring your Meikles experience so much more alive for you.

With thanks.
Tinashe Munjoma: generalmanager@meikles.com

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at Meikles for 4 nights for a work meeting. I was pleased with my room, the linens are nice, pillows good and water pressure good. There are nice little touches like sachets of laundry soap in the bathroom. The internet was fairly fast and reliable, which was a nice surprise.

While I was happy with the room, I was completely unimpressed by the food, it is expensive and below average. They charge quite a bit for small things ($5 service fee for room service, $1 for a takeaway box). It doesn't appear that there are many easy food options near the hotel, I think most options require a taxi.

While Meikles was perfectly fine, it wasn't anything special and I chose to move to another cheaper hotel for a few extra vacation days I tacked on to my trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank DCVazaha
OurMarketingTeam, General Manager at Meikles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Hello to you in Washington DC. First, thank you for choosing to stay with Meikles for your business meetings and for your kind comments about the rooms. Indeed, all North Wing rooms have been totally revitalised and modernised, without losing the Meikles charm, so that we remain at the forefront of Zimbabwe's luxury hotels.

Your stay coincided with the transformation process from the old to the new and inevitably this caused a few unexpected disruptions. Apologies for any inconvenience or below-par experiences. However, we are fully back on course and our master chefs have been working hard to enhance the fining experience across all restaurants to take them to a new level that is expected of us.

Proudly Meikles has just been voted "Best City Hotel" by the Association of Zimbabwe Travel Agents (AZTA) for the 19th year in succession and our entire team (many of whom have been with us for more than 20 years) is highly committed to maintaining, nurturing and improving this record. Tinashe Munjoma. Hotel General Manager. generalmanager@meikles.com