“It Could Be Better”
Review of Meikles Hotel

Meikles Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My partner and i stayed at the hotel on the 26th of December. Wonderful place it is and it was my partners 1st visit to Zimbabwe. We chose the Meikles after looking for the best hotel in Zim. We were very dissapointed by several things, we have travelled so many 5stars around the world and in Africa but Meikles let us down. The room was amazing we booked a Park Suite, very beautiful but bathroom was so dirty, definitely needs attention. Aircon in the room is not individually controlled so we were freezing in the rooom. We requested for a DVD player since arrival but they could not provide us wth any,we were promised that we would get the following day but still nothing from a 5star, I went to have a light lunch in their pavilion restaurant and i was followed to sign the bill a few shops from the hotel, like i was going to run away. Staff not honest each time i paid for somethinmg i never got change eg Car Wash etc. Dinner not so good but breakfast amazing. Wonderful Hotel being downgraded by such small things.

Room Tip: We only tried the Park Suite, AMAZING
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Primmy212

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Lets remember that Zimbabwe has been subjected to 12 yrs of economic reversal ( we won't dwell on the people that were responsible for this action ) and before the start of the implosion Meikles was a gem. Even now it has a style of service that is an echo from those earlier years. Old style and excellent.. The fabric is a bit faded or not stylish for today's visitors ,but I am sure that as the economy is allowed to recover, Meikles will rebound and take its place amongst the best hotels in the region.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2013

excellent hosptality from the entrance right up to the restuarant...the staff top the list and the buffet has definatly improved.recommendable at any time but x-mas time was really cool with the scottish band adding flair...well done zimbabwe

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I caught a terrible infection and was shut in my room for 4 days. The staff was very compassionate and helpful to arrange a doctor and follow up. The morning breakfast with Collins (waiter) was amongst the best service I have encountered around the globe.

There are old elements to the hotel, but age is beauty and Miekles has lasted the test of time.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank holaratcha
Reviewed December 9, 2012

spend in total 4 days in the hotel and had 5 rooms -(needles to say I had to change some (aircon ,fridge was missing ,smelly)... aircon is centralised and it was warm (not hot) , the rooms are ready for renovations -for my taste to warm. I wanted to buy some stamps and postcards in the hotel but this was not possible -on my question why not the answer was "we dont do this" On the positive side -the stafff is very friendly and the breakfast is nice

Room Tip: check everthing in the room beforhand and ask for another room if...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2012

One has to acknowledge that a five star hotel in Africa isn't necessarily comparable with a five star hotel in e.g., Europe or the Middle East. Nevertheless, there are some hotels in Africa that are truly amazing but this hotel clearly isn't one of them. The rooms and the hotel are very old and certainly not up to scratch. Beds have very soft mattresses and the bathroom is dirty. The shower head is full of calk and you need to let the water run for a good 5 minutes before it clears up. Otherwise, its really rusty.
While staff is really nice and helpful, they are not necessarily very knowledgable about the hotel or the city.
Since I travel a lot to this really beautiful country, I have decided to stay in one of the many lodges that exist in Harare. E.g., Kuntandara Lodge or Jacana Gardens are my favourites. The service in both is great, the rooms are amazing with hot and cold water 24/7- simply the highest standard of living quality with nice home made food.Btw- the price for a night in such a lodge is even cheaper.

Room Tip: If you can, wait until they finish the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Hubbes23
Reviewed November 25, 2012

On arrival Abraham checked me in, faultless and friendly! The porter, Victor, also was the epitome of good and friendly service. In the restaurant I can only complain about the bread that was old and rock hard (they also complained about that at the table next to mine). I visit this hotel fairly frequently for business as I feel at this stage it's the best available in Harare. But the facilities are just getting older and worn out without anything done to improve this. Rooms are large and clean. But really not on par with other 5* hotels I am used to. It is such a shame about this, because they have excellent staff. We take top management from other businesses with us to Harare from time to time, and we just don't feel comfortable letting them stay in this hotel anymore.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business