“Pleasant stay”

Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had a pleasant and comfortable stay at this hotel. The hotel staff were friendly and offered excellent service. Rooms are clean and were replenished with amenities daily. Breakfast was delicious, there's a large variety to chose from. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Cary_0706, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Rachel M

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences online it means a lot to us and the staff. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us; our staff provided you with excellent service and was very friendly. I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that guests appreciate their service. We hope to see you again soon.

Regards
Carol Chirairo

Reviewed May 14, 2014

The hotel is in need of an upgrade of its facilities. We booked five rooms and in three of us complained about non-functioning air conditioners. I was later moved to another room where my experience was slightly better.
However, what the hotel lacks in modern and renovated facilities, it makes up in the staff. The staff was eager to serve, very friendly and prepared to accommodate individual requests. I was very pleased with the service by the front-desk staff, the cleaning staff, the waiter staff and the security guards.
The hotel offers free wi-fi , but the service was somewhat unreliable. I was disappointed when I realised that the coffee in the room is not Zimbabwean coffee, but was assured that the coffee in all the restaurants is indeed real Zimbabwean coffee. The meals served in the Parkview Brasserie was tasty and the restaurant offered a wide variety buffet.
If you are looking for a good hotel supported by an international brand, with acceptable facilities, and great staff, then this hotel is recommended.

Room Tip: Make doubly sure the aircon works before you unpack - to make it easier if you need to move.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear ADavis1977,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. We certainly apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We are pleased that our staff was able to off set any displeasure with great service. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to write your review. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Regards,

Brenda J.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The hotel is really good. The staff is really very helpful. i had my flight in afternoon around 4 but the hotel staff allowed me to keep the room after checkout and didn't charge for that. Hotel is located at nice location. Art gallery nearby. Avon Dale market too is close (we walked). The restaurant is good and serves good food and drinks. o and Nice breakfast too. The staff was happy cooking vegetarian for me even though it was not a part of the buffet menu

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anujjamwal
Cary_0706, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Anujjamwal

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza as your hotel of choice. I would like to thank you for the valuable feedback that you posted on Trip Advisor.

I find it delightful to note that you had a positive experience at Crowne Plaza.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Warm Regards

Carol.C

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Crown Plaza Hotel is located in the center of Harare with easy acces to all main places of interest in the city. The lady at the front desk was nice and firndly but the check-in process was very slow and took 45 min because they couldn't find our reservation made on ihg website. Our room was spacious and comfy with all facilities. The decor and was a bit outdated and tired, however it was clean. Nice view over the city and park. Free WiFi acces was offered. We didn't tray their breakfast because of the flight to Bulawayo next day early morning. Overall quite good experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Cracow Danang

Thank you for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza Harare-Monomotapa and for your valuable feedback. It is pleasing to discover that you find our staff members to be friendly and hospitable.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused with the delayed check in process.

Once again i appreciate your feedback as it assists us in constantly improving our service.

Warm Regards

Carol.C

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is a type of hotel familiar to most capital cities in sub-Saharan Africa, a chain hotel that the chain hasn't made much of an effort to update since the 1970s. The décor is a bit tired, but it's scrupulously clean, and the staff were excellent. The air conditioner in my room never worked (I think this is a common complaint) and there were regular water outages in the week I stayed, ranging from no water at all to no hot water, some of which I understand was outside of the hotel's control (city water systems).

Food was ok, rooms look onto beautiful gardens and you can have a fairly peaceful night's sleep. Wifi is via a free voucher code system (if the codes are free it seems a bit crazy not to just drop them - instead of having to run down to reception every half hour when they expire, or when they don't work, as they frequently don't). There was a small fire on one of the top floors while I was there and the evacuation was run pretty well. It's also right next to the brilliant Zimbabwe national gallery, which is a must-see, and also has an excellent shop with items made by local artists (more expensive than you'll find at the roadside, though).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Katie S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Katie S,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review of your recent experience at our property. This feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and these will be taken into consideration in our efforts to provide the best hotel experience possible.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Harare.

Joel B

Reviewed February 23, 2014

i spent one night on 21st February 2014. Excellent service from the moment one walked into the beautiful foyer. Having initially gone through reviews from the other guests ,i requested to be given a tour of my very spacious room before i paid and everything was in working condition. The staff was amazingly helpful and willing to go the extra mile, most notably from Thandi and Nobuhle.The food was great too. No complaints whatsoever. Compared to all other hotels that i have been to in Harare, i am going to recommend Crown Plaza to anyone looking for a refreshingly world class standard.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mthabisi M
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights between 10 to 13 February 2014. On the first night I arrived to late for dinner and ordered room service. The speed and service was good and the food above average. My air conditioner never worked and I requested a normal fan. I stayed in room 1217. The air conditioner technician was in my room and couldn't fix the problem. By 00h45 the issue was not resolved I had to endure the heat with very little natural ventilation as all windows has been screwed down to a 10 centimetre opening only to allow some fresh air to enter. The room was also invested with cockroaches. The next morning I again complaint to all the staff I came across. The breakfast is buffet style and was good. The evening I returned my client for which I am doing work in Zimbabwe arranged for another room and I moved across to 1903. This room was cockroach free but again the air conditioner didn't work, even after the technician tried to fix something that he knew he couldn't fix due to problems outside of his control. That day I got a fan. The evening I got to my room late and ordered room service again. Again the food was good(fish, vegetables, salad and fruit salad). The next morning's breakfast was good as usual. The staff is very friendly, the room service is good, laundry is expensive, the gym is well stocked and well located, the pool is very nice. I didn't see or used the spa and therefor please ignore my rating on the spa

Room Tip: Get a room with an air conditioner that works
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank LazenbyPretoria
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear LazenbyPretoria,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is nice to know that you liked the food that was served. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the air conditioning and some other quality issues you have experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Rest assured that these matter will be looked into. Again, I do apologize and regret that these impacted your experience at our hotel. +

Karen G.