“Friendly hotel in central Harare”

Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Colchester
“Friendly hotel in central Harare”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed here for four nights whilst on a business trip to Harare. The hotel is very conveniently located with good views of Harare Park and the city, especially from the upper floors. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially the concierge, who arranged an excellent taxi for my stay. Rooms are OK but a little bit tired, fairly clean and the bed very comfortable with snowy white sheets. Excellent breakfast at $26 from an extensive buffet. Trouble connecting to the Internet all the time but an IT guy called Susicious worked it out, just had to go to him every day!

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Even though it looks old, the rooms are quite comfortable. Centrally located with all facilities.Breakfast had selections and the service was good. WIFI was acceptable.I stayed in the 5th floor and the Harare Park view was excellent. ( All rooms are designed to get this view)

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 26, 2013

One look at the hotel and you can see that it has seen better days. But the rooms are clean, are decent sized, room service is fairly helpful. I stayed there for a week, no particular complaints as such. I stayed on the 14th floor, and the view from the room was ok.

The breakfast buffet was good, but at 26 USD, was exorbitantly prices. Same with dinner buffet at 31 USD. It actually felt like a rip - off.

The beds in the room are really good - I really enjoyed my sleep every night, they also provide some kind of sleep inducing ointments - I did not use them though.

The hotel is pretty much in Cental Harare and just a few minutes walk to the city center.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Amit S,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm truly delighted you liked your room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry that you were not satisfied with the value of our restaurant. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am in the middle of my second stay at this hotel and I must say I was a little bit apprehensive given the fact that my main contact the general manager has moved to a rival hotel since my last day.

Communication with the hotel in advance my trip had been rather blunt and not as polished as before hence my slight apprehension. My apprehension was confirmed as I arrived at the airport as my hotel pick up Despite having been confirmed in writing was nowhere to be seen. I have been coming to Africa for 20 years but had it been my first trip panic may have set in.

However, an entrepreneurial taxi driver who was collecting someone else on the later flight for the same hotel managed to take me to the hotel so I was comfortable. However, a tip is to confirm pick up again and again ahead of your trip.

I needn't have worried too much re the above once I was arriving at the hotel and upon arrival to the hotel, acknowledgement was given to my gold holiday in privilege card and I was upgraded to a beautiful room, in fact, the same one as I had before. Check out my previous photographs.

Upon arrival I was taken to my room as where my bags and given a full Tour.There were complimentary items of fruit, chocolate and crisps waiting for me - a lovely touch

Unlike before, the gymnasium is now open and although very small, it is perfectly adequate and looks the Sprawling CBD of Harare.

Unlike before I have used the main restaurant for the buffet dinner which is the superbly priced at just $26- Conversely, the same restaurant charges $26 for breakfast which is way overpriced - Were I the management, I would review this and Trim it down to between $15-$18 maximum. That said, the food, service is excellent.

There is a coffee area with an array of cakes which is perfect for meetings

I had complimentary wifi throughout the hotel which worked perfectly - this is excellent.

There is a small pool but as long as I have a gym I am happy

The bar on the 2nd floor is fine but possibly in need of a spruce - the drinks are well priced with a bottle of the local beer at $3. This area needs a cuddle and the cost would be repaid quickly as more guest would be encouraged to stay for drinks or have pre-dinner drinks. Service excellent by the way.

SECURITY: being right in the middle of Harare-superbly located by the way, one needs to be comfortable that the security is good particularly if you're not familiar with your surroundings. I must say, this is where the Hotel has an exemplary record. They have a good team of security guards who are all dressed in suits and therefore unintimidating, on the front door of the hotel. They all address me by name when I depart and arrive for meetings added to which they locate secure taxis when required all of which are well priced.

The receptionists are delightful and you really feel like you're coming home. The hotel doesn't feel tired as with some other hotels in Harare. The staff are absolutely amazing and very proud of their jobs. The cleanliness of my room could not be faulted in any way and someone even arrived to double check that my room had been cleaned sufficiently well.

The rooms are very well equipped and one doesn't always take for granted that there will be for example flat screen TV is, a safe, a hairdryer, ironing board and steam iron-my room had them all. There was also a minibar which was empty but the fridge is great for milk as I dont like the powdered stuff provided - I also had a kettle provided.

I check out later this week - however so far Id suggest:

1: Better communication need from the hotel when a guest communicates ahead of a visit - first impressions are lasting impressions

2: Airport Pick Up - If booked and confirmed in writing, then it needs to be there - again First impressions etc

3: Breakfast charge - I am not alone in my views here. This is very good but London Prices

4. 2nd floor bar - needs a small bit of money spending on it to bring up to the standards of the rest of the hotel

........I am still giving this hotel a 5 star rating as they have maintained standards and I cannot be swayed to stay anywhere else especially as the gold card seems to be acknowledged and respected - so i'd be mad even to look

Special thanks to Albert Mudzimu who cleaned my room perfectly - well done Albert.

I am deliberately posting this ahead of my departure on Wednesday from room 1805 to see if the management pick up on any of the points, not that this is essential though

A great stay and I booked my whole trip this time through Expedia who were excellent.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bambino145
Rishon Le Zion, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I arrived to the hotel without a reservation. The welcome was not as I expected from hotel like Crowne Plaza. I guy at the reception said that they don’t have free rooms and I can come maybe 5 days later. It was funny as the internet showed available rooms from all type… I got a feeling that they just don’t want me there.
The reason for choosing Crowne Plaza is the level of service and hospitality that I didn’t see at this moment.
I left the hotel, connect to the internet and made an online reservation. The day after I came back and the welcome was different. I rather start my review from this point but unfortunately, the bad experience at the first time didn’t disappear also after few days…
Now few words about the hotel.
The stuff are smiley all the time, They are willing to help and always welcoming. I got room at the club level and you see that the hotel team is trying to keep the environment at best condition. However its Africa and you see that the hotel saw better days.
The bed is according to Crowne Plaza standard (meaning VERY GOOD). The rooms are big and relatively clean. The furniture, as I said, saw better days and it took me 4 days to shut down the A/C.
Dining room is wide and the stuff are trying their best to serve you (EXCELLENT). Food in Very good quality and wide variety.
If you evaluate this hotel according to African and Zimbabwean standards so… you have a VERY good hotel. If you want an international standards, so the hotel is little above the average not more than that.
Too bad that I had the bad experience at the beginning.

P.S. - The picture attached was taken by me :-)

Room Tip: Ask for Club floor as high as possible. The park view is great. If you like sunrise than ask for hi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Rafael K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are very disappointed to learn of your experience at our hotel and wanted to extend a personal apology. I have taken note of your comments regarding the service you received from our Front desk staff and have shared these with our Front office team for review.

Nevertheless, I am pleased you found the rest of your stay, commendable. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Joel B
Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Where to begin...

1) Get rid of the 'green juice' that is provided when you check-in. It's AWFUL and doesn't contain any juice

2) Put in proper air conditioning controls (my rooms air con was 'centrally controlled')
3) Get rid of the television sets (circa 1984) and replace them with proper flat screens. Goodness knows you are charging first world rates...
4) The breakfast buffet is terrible and overpriced. Instead, have coffee and a muffin at the cafe. It's MUCH cheaper
5) Forget about room service. It's expensive and has no taste (all of the items on the menu)
6) The staff elevator is broken. So, you (as a guest) have to pile in with the cleaners, the dirty room service trays, the repair staff, etc.
7) The carpets on the floor that I stayed on were badly stained. Looks terrible and shows how little the management cares about appearances.
8) Don't even think about asking the doorman for a taxi. They are running a racket there - no doubt. By getting a taxi from them you are encouraging corruption as the taxi driver MUST pay the doorman a fee. You are better off walking down a couple of blocks and negotiating a taxi from someone who is NOT connected to the hotel.

I could go on for a long time. The long and short of it is don't stay at this hotel. It's not worth the money or the stress. There are better (and cheaper) options in Harare.

Room Tip: My tip is - don't stay at this hotel....EVER!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank DavidMajorLusaka
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear DavidMajorLusaka,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. I want to assure you that the issues you have raised about the elevator, carpets and the AC units will be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. Thank you for all your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just went there after a 5 weeks trip through Southern Africa and many hostels / hotels... and clearly this was the best. In African standards, rooms are clean and modern, staff is really good (Darlington at the entrance, thx), and this is just around the Harare Gardens.
As I was going there for the HIFA, it was perfect.
The pool is a bit small & area around not very convenient (only 2 sun loungers), the food choice is limited for lunch and the breakfast cost is outrageous ($26, like we are in Paris or NYC).

If you come directly from Europe / US... you may find it not as good as other Crown Plaza I have been too, but clearly, in Southern Africa, and Zimbabwe, this is a great choice, fairly priced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo