“It is up to the Brand name.”

Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Pretoria, South Africa
“It is up to the Brand name.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Given the fairly limited choices a traveller has for hotels in this category (either business or tourist) this hotel makes the grade. It is certainly better than one or two of the other "beep" hotels I have stayed at in Harare. The staff are all very attentive and the place is neat and tidy.

Room Tip: All the rooms have the same view so I guess the difference will be in the type of room you will be p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at the Crown Plaza last week mainly due to the fact that the hotel I usually stay in, The Bronte was fully booked. I decided to stay at the Crown because I have already given the rainbow towers and the holiday in a try and the price is not astronautically different. So, first off, the bed/pillows, cleanliness, bathroom, all good, fine.

Now, some negatives, the food is not great, I can't speak about the meat because I am on a vegetarian kick, but the pasta and the curry vegetable dish, forget it. Now, the brim fish fillet was very good and I can recommend it.

The breakfast is not included, which is 26 dollars. I imagine it isn’t worth it but I could not tell you. I just ended up having a cappuccino and muffin at the cafe next door for 4 dollars.

I also ended up ordering a lot of room service, which was really fast and efficient.

The business centre is just too expensive, 50 cents per page printing. Etc.....

The hotel also seems to call on me a lot, which after a week became a bit aggravating. For example, they call in the morning (your normal clean-up crew), fine. But then they call you after your room service to tell you to leave the tray outside and housekeeping comes calling again around 8pm. It is just too much, I find.

Also, if you get a room overlooking the park and you want quiet to work in your room, forget it, it is extremely loud with speakers blaring. Not sure what it is, but it's not pleasant when you are trying to work.

I also, stayed here due to the fact that they have "fitness" centre, but the fitness centre was "in construction" and they offered the use of a health centre off premises. Who wants that?

All and all, it as ok. The staff was very friendly and helpful. one more tip, if you want to work at the cafe down in the lobby, you wont find an outlet. some reviews have said that they paid for wireless, although the codes they gave me have "30$ a week" writen on the bottom, I don't think I ever got charged for it. Its a shame that people are still charging for internet, particularly an outfit like the Crown Plaza.

Also, there is a pool, which looked ok, but I didnt have time to experience it. I would stay here again....if there is no room at the Bronte.

Room Tip: As I mentioned, the rooms looking to the garden, while great when the rains come and when the winds...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JCaballo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear JCaballo,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I am pleased that you have mentioned our helpful and friendly staff. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced because of the ongoing renovation of our fitness center. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again and see the changes we have done.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I just got back from a weekend in harare and stayed at the Crown Plaza. The service was great and all the staff were extremely friendly. I can also recommend dinner at the park lane restuarant. I would surely go back. i had a look at some of the previous negative reviews and can surely say that I cannot agree. the room was spacious, but the aircon did not work. Luckely you can open the large window and being September, there was also a good breeze, so did not miss the aircon. Would however recommend a workable aircon when it is really hot.

Room Tip: Ask for the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I haven't stayed at this hotel, but I've spent a lot of time in the coffee shop and restaraunts. The buffet is way overpriced for Zimbabwe at $25 for breakfast, think dinner was same. I do like the coffee shop, though the croisants are flaky, service is tremendous, and wireless connection very good ($10 day).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank luciasur
Antananarivo, Madagascar
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Luxurious Hotel in downtown Harare. Well situated in the business center of the city. Rooms are spacious with two kingsize beds. Bathroom, minibar, flat TV, AC, coffee maker, and wifi in room. Restaurants in site. The only cons was when I my visa card was not accepted so I had to draw money in the nearby Barclay bank. In addition , the Chief forget the take away breakfast on my early morning checkout. I won't come back again with the price I paid.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nicosia
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Crowne Plaza Harare, mmm I thought! Better go check the recent comments on Trip Advisor. Not promising, other travelers mentioned long waits at book in, unclean linen and rude staff, unfortunately I did not have enough time to change to a Trip Advisor better rated hotel.

I arrived in the afternoon around 4 and got into the queue for reception, just 2 people in front of me. It took 35 seconds for my turn (I timed it), a friendly welcome and smile from polite professional check-in person Eunice, no problem with my need for a non-smoking room and I was off to the lifts very quickly.

This hotel was built in 1959 in a weird arc shape with 4 lifts providing access to 16 floors, my room was 609 and I think it was recently renovated, the usual hotel configuration with a smallish bathroom new bed (very comfortable) clean and nice view overlooking the park.

Good points: Large safe, enough for 2 laptops, sleep kit waiting on my pillow including aroma therapy, fresh fruit, mineral water and large fluffy bath towels. The Internet wireless was good enough to Skype home each night and the shower had so much hot water and pressure I had to turn it down to half.

Bad: Well not much, TV’s was the old fashioned CRT type but it worked fine and I needed to get the air-conditioning switched on as it was their winter (it keeps the mozzies away) not that there were any and it was done immediately.

Duty manager Eddie Muchemwa, a jovial larger than life character I met, was keen to point out the hotel was still undergoing renovations and the LCD tv’s would be fitted soon, I laughed told him his people were more important than widescreens.

Breakfast and dinner I used the buffet style restaurant, I hate hotel buffets as all the food generally tastes the same, however the chefs Joshua and Chamboko really do a good job, wide selection and good quality, try the mushroom soup by chef Chironda (and yes I noted all their name badges).

I have worked “front of house” in a past life, so appreciate the tough and thankless job waiters do. I want to specially thank and name Justin (second name I didn’t get) my table waiter for my 6 nights, he should be managing and training waiters in 5 star hotels here in Cyprus, a real asset to the hotel and the Crowne group.

For me good hotels have warm professional and attentive staff, are clean and comfortable.
1959 building aside, my experience at The Crowne in Harare reflected exactly that.

Room Tip: Drop them an email with special requirements before you go, they went out of their way to help me wi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JLavender
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am just back from one week of business in Harare and I have to admit that I was slightly concerned before going but my opinion has completely changed. It was the first time my company sent someone in Zimbabwe and I didn't know which hotel to choose.

Well, I have found one and if I ever go back, I know where I will go. The Crown Plazza.

The employees are smilling, very helpful, the room was clean, comfortable, Internet is working perfectly well. The location is perfect.

I highly recommend the hotel if you go there for a week of business

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business