“You can please some of the people!”

Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Crowne Plaza Harare, mmm I thought! Better go check the recent comments on Trip Advisor. Not promising, other travelers mentioned long waits at book in, unclean linen and rude staff, unfortunately I did not have enough time to change to a Trip Advisor better rated hotel.

I arrived in the afternoon around 4 and got into the queue for reception, just 2 people in front of me. It took 35 seconds for my turn (I timed it), a friendly welcome and smile from polite professional check-in person Eunice, no problem with my need for a non-smoking room and I was off to the lifts very quickly.

This hotel was built in 1959 in a weird arc shape with 4 lifts providing access to 16 floors, my room was 609 and I think it was recently renovated, the usual hotel configuration with a smallish bathroom new bed (very comfortable) clean and nice view overlooking the park.

Good points: Large safe, enough for 2 laptops, sleep kit waiting on my pillow including aroma therapy, fresh fruit, mineral water and large fluffy bath towels. The Internet wireless was good enough to Skype home each night and the shower had so much hot water and pressure I had to turn it down to half.

Bad: Well not much, TV’s was the old fashioned CRT type but it worked fine and I needed to get the air-conditioning switched on as it was their winter (it keeps the mozzies away) not that there were any and it was done immediately.

Duty manager Eddie Muchemwa, a jovial larger than life character I met, was keen to point out the hotel was still undergoing renovations and the LCD tv’s would be fitted soon, I laughed told him his people were more important than widescreens.

Breakfast and dinner I used the buffet style restaurant, I hate hotel buffets as all the food generally tastes the same, however the chefs Joshua and Chamboko really do a good job, wide selection and good quality, try the mushroom soup by chef Chironda (and yes I noted all their name badges).

I have worked “front of house” in a past life, so appreciate the tough and thankless job waiters do. I want to specially thank and name Justin (second name I didn’t get) my table waiter for my 6 nights, he should be managing and training waiters in 5 star hotels here in Cyprus, a real asset to the hotel and the Crowne group.

For me good hotels have warm professional and attentive staff, are clean and comfortable.
1959 building aside, my experience at The Crowne in Harare reflected exactly that.

Room Tip: Drop them an email with special requirements before you go, they went out of their way to help me wi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JLavender

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am just back from one week of business in Harare and I have to admit that I was slightly concerned before going but my opinion has completely changed. It was the first time my company sent someone in Zimbabwe and I didn't know which hotel to choose.

Well, I have found one and if I ever go back, I know where I will go. The Crown Plazza.

The employees are smilling, very helpful, the room was clean, comfortable, Internet is working perfectly well. The location is perfect.

I highly recommend the hotel if you go there for a week of business

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Harare in June 2012. The hotel is a bit run down, but they are busy with renovations so hopefully will be looking better soon. The room itself was spacious and clean - bathroom also clean and they always provided extra towels. The Concierge is very helpful - thank you Darlington for all your assistance.
The formal restaurant was excellent! The steak is prepared absolutely perfect - the greens fresh and well prepared. Compliments to the chef at the formal restaurant - made my stay worth while!! :) The Buffet restaurant was ok - nothing to write home about. We had lunch the one day, and i couldn't eat anything as they had a traditional theme - not sure I wanted to have tripe and then attend a business meeting!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The Monomotapa hotel is situated in the centre of Harare downtown. From an infrastructure point of view the rooms are comfortable if dated but are apparently in the process of being renovated. Food choices from the two hotel restaurants was quite wide but not necessarily very sophisticated. Service was variable with staff being friendly but sometimes requests were not necessarily promptly resolved. The hotel (and the country) is clearly evolving to from the days of economic languor to the current relative stability and growth.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Well my stay at this hotel went from bad to nightmare to wanting to check out. I have never experienced a friendly staff in all my life but the challenges ahead of this hotel are immense. I would prefer not to go into to much detail about the hygiene issues I had with the bedding sheets but my complaint had 4 managers in my room and the GM meeting me to apologise personally. The complaint would have the board of Directors pleading with me to not show my photographs or video of the incident but I expressed that the Management role is to Manage the hotel and take care of matters with a view and projection. The hotel is also in need of staff training, a maintenance department and a Hygienist to delouse everything. Before considering this hotel, read other reviews and I would give them a year to get there act together or risk closing down.

Room Tip: Do not stay here during the Hifa music festival, noise carries on till 3 am for seven nights.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank aramis110
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear saintpj,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Hotels Harare - Monomotapa. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Quite possibly the worst hotel experience I've had for many years. Yes, I know it's Africa and I know it's Zimbabwe, but there are basics that any hotel anywhere around the world should address and get right. Where do I begin? The food is awful. The breakfast buffet is very ordinary and the service and experience in the morning is lethargic and down right lazy. Tables are not set up even 30 mins into service, a pointless meal ticket system operates at the door and the food especially the pastries are tastless. The fruit salad, egg and beans are about the only edible things. In the same restaurant the lunch time and dinner time buffets are shocking. If you do one thing when you're in Harare, don't go to this restaurant at dinner time. Quite simply gross.

One bright spot on the food front. The French restaurant in the hotel (independently run apparently) is super. Great food, great service, great experience. I was in the hotel for 3 weeks and I probably ate there every other evening.

So what else? The aircon is centrally controlled and without reason is often switched off. Not during the day when most people are out of their rooms, but at night. Great idea in te roaring heat of summer! The lifts. Oh the lifts. 4 lifts, always 2 or 3 not working. Expect to wait 10-15 mins in the mornings for a lift - very convenient when you're on the 18th floor.

Then the service. Absolutely shocking. You ask 3 times for a cup of tea at breakfast and it never arrives. Or the cup arrives but not the tea! Where on earth do they hire these people from. I certainly think there is no focus on staff training whatsoever.

Reception - dreadful. You may as well be speaking to a brick wall. Quite frankly an embarresment. Room service - do yourself a favour, don't bother. Business centre, they took 30 mins to try scanning a document. It probably won't surprise you by now that they didn't have much success. 30 minutes of my life wasted.

Bright points: The french restaurant. Archie, the duty manager who's the only staff member in the whole hotel that is considerate, customer oriented and goes the extra mile. Well done Archie. The room upgrade, thanks to Archie.

So that's it. Terrible experience. Wake up and make an effort Crowne Plaza Harare.

Room Tip: A suite - tired, worn but at least more space. But honestly the age of the rooms are the least of y...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Eric M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Monomotapa Hotel- Legacy, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Dear Eric M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay.
It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 7, 2012

Spent a week here at the end of November. Rooms and facilities were perfectly adequate, but everything was a bit dated and very tired looking. While this is not surprising given the economic turmoil in Zimbabwe over the past decade, I hope the management will take the recent stability as incentive to invest in the property.

Key items that need attention are: 1) Business centre has been shut down 2) Wireless internet is excruciatingly slow; Zimbabwe has the infrastructure for faster service so no excuse here 3) Credit card payment machine was offline for much of my stay; it was a real hassle having to pay cash to settle my bill 4) A/C is very erratic and not up to dealing with very hot days

All this being said, given the extortionate prices being asked by other major hotels in Harare, Monomotapa offers reasonable value for money for the business traveller.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business