“Beautiful and relaxing home away from home”

Jacana Gardens Guest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 50 Harare B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Beautiful and relaxing home away from home”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I spent almost three weeks at Jacana Gardens this fall. At the end of every day I was so happy to return to a beautiful, relaxing, clean and welcoming home away from home. Rian and Willem are wonderful hosts and their staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. My room was great, with a work table, a nice bathroom, satellite TV and a comfortable bed. I loved the decorations and artwork in my room, and throughout the whole lodge. The comfortable couches in the living room and the big chairs outside in the beautiful garden were perfect for drinking a glass of wine or reading a book, and as a longer term guest I really appreciated that there were other spaces for me to relax in in addition to my bedroom.

Breakfast in the morning was always fresh and tasty, and there was even a french press and coffee in my room so I could enjoy a cup whenever I wanted. I frequently ate dinner at the lodge, a delicious homemade meal that was just the thing after a long day.

As a frequent traveler I have stayed in many hotels, lodges and guesthouses over the years, and I can say without a doubt that Jacana Gardens is my favorite. Rian and Willem are interesting, unique and special people who truly care about the experience their guests are having. I highly recommend Jacana Gardens and can't wait to go back myself!

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 31Janee
WimLandman, Owner at Jacana Gardens Guest Lodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Hope to see you again in the New Year, Jane !!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Driving through the gates of the Javana Lodge opens a whole new world. The house and rooms are decorated with stile and a lot ove love. entering the room gave me a "wow" feeling.
I have often traveled to Harare over many years, in good and bad tmes, but never stayes in a place like that. I will be back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dirk S
Wim L, Owner at Jacana Gardens Guest Lodge, responded to this review, December 25, 2015
Dear Dirk, thank you so much for your wonderful review on your stay at Jacana Gardens. This is much appreciated by the entire Jacana Gardens team. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you again any next time you will travel to Harare. Stay well. Kind greetings, Rian
Reviewed August 29, 2012

One of the highlights of our recent trip to Zimbabwe - Hwange, Kariba Ferry and Mana was our overnight stay at Jacana Gardens Guest Lodge. What an absolute gem of a place .... Both Rian and Willem's hospitality, great service, and friendly staff made us feel relaxed, welcome and certainly very much at home on our arrival. Our group, 4 couples, arrived together, 4 x 4x4's all with off-road trailers to Jacana's tranquil setting. 3 of the couples took the main guest house suites, whilst we had the very comfortable cottage. With their stylish decor, ethnic artefacts, beautiful indigenous garden and lovely shady trees - we awoke to a wonderful chorus of bird chirping. Dinner was simply delicious and tasty and breakfast an absolute treat. Absolute no hesitatation in recommending Jacana to the traveller. What a lovely way to end our A M A Z I N G trip. Anne & Rodney

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne D
Dear Anne, thank you so much for your wonderful review on your stay at Jacana Gardens. This is much appreciated by the entire Jacana Gardens team. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you again any next time you will travel to Harare. Stay well. Kind greetings, Rian
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I was so comfortable, the beds are wonderful, furniture comfy, splendid artwork, and wonderful company. I work for an NGO, as did other guests, Rian and WIllem are so interesting, having worked for Doctors without Borders. The home-made dinners are fabulous (foodies rejoice!) After dinner guests can sit by the fire (in June) or enjoy their spacious rooms. I would love to go back.

Room Tip: Three guest rooms, all nice and private
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sue, thank you so much for your wonderful review on your stay at Jacana Gardens. This is much appreciated by the entire Jacana Gardens team. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you again any next time you will travel to Harare. Stay well. Kind greetings, Rian
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Rian and Willem truly understand the essence of providing great service. Jacana Gardens is one of the best places I have stayed at and will definitely return there. Thank you for the beautiful experience.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank the_patsh
Dear guest, thank you so much for your wonderful review on your stay at Jacana Gardens. This is much appreciated by the entire Jacana Gardens team. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you again any next time you will travel to Harare. Stay well. Kind greetings, Rian
Lusaka, Zambia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Jacana is in a league of its own when it come to BnB lodging. The beautiful gardens and the architecture combine well to create a lovely get-away environment. The owners are a very lovely and hospitable couple who make all guests feel at home. Great value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Savio360
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stay at a fair number of places. Many are nice enough, but few succeed in suppressing the little voice in the back of my mind that constantly says, “Oh, but won’t it be nice to get back home!” After a few hours at Jacana Gardens, my inner voice was demanding, “Forget home! Stay here!” This is undoubtedly one of the most pleasant places I’ve stayed. (I admit this with some trepidation, as I fear that it will result in my being unable to afford to stay here ever again, but one must give credit where credit is due.)

First of all, the Dutch owners, Rian and Willem, are delightful hosts – warm, gracious and available without being intrusive – and the other members of their staff are equally accommodating. The house itself is beautifully designed with large, airy rooms, large windows, lots of light, tasteful décor, and good flow through the house from the front to the back garden, both attractively landscaped with whimsical metal sculptures and comfy places to sit and read, work or contemplate. The open-plan common area – two lounges on either side of a large central dining table – manages to be both elegant and comfortable, with interesting artwork and artefacts. The three bedrooms are well appointed: lounge chairs, a large desk/workspace, plenty of outlets, bedside lamps, and a large flat panel television (with, unusually, practically a full complement of DSTV channels). A small radiator-style oil heater provided some welcome warmth (as did the roaring fire in the lounge) as I was staying during a particularly cold spell. My room (#3) had direct access to a small terrace and the garden beyond. (Unlike some places I’ve stayed, the photos on Jacana’s web site are a fair reflection of the actual appearance and ambiance of the house.)

There are lots of thoughtful extras: a hot beverage trolley that includes real coffee and a small French press, a supply of fresh fruit (replenished daily), a carafe of filtered borehole water, a sturdy folding luggage rack. The bathroom had a large tiled shower stall with a large “rainforest” type showerhead, a table by the sink for toiletries (hooray!), and a more varied-than-usual selection of elegantly packaged bath products.

There are a few things about Jacana Gardens that might be a problem for some travellers, though they didn’t particularly bother me. In fact, the presence of (outside) two dogs – a friendly, smallish German shepherd and a more circumspect and regal Ridgeback – was a plus in my book. The beds were separately made-up twin beds pushed together – never as nice as a full sized bed, if you ask me, but that’s a pretty minor niggle. Although there are lots of outlets, the two by the desk were already pretty overladen, so I was glad I had brought along a power strip for recharging my own array of electronic gadgets. Wi-fi internet access comes at a price, though during my stay this was reduced from a fairly hefty $10 a day to a much more competitive $5 a day. One-day laundry service is also available at prices commensurate with hotel rates.

Breakfasts were ample and tasty with a Dutch flavour – cereal, yogurt, fruit, real coffee, an interesting selection of breads, cold meats and cheese, with eggs also on offer. Jacana Gardens also offers dinner, served family style for all participating guests, around the common table. I indulged one evening. The three-course meal (Indian cuisine, that evening) was delicious, plentiful and convivial. plus it was very nice to be able to have a glass of wine with dinner without worrying about running the ever-present police gauntlet on the way home. However, the $30 price tag meant that, for me, it did not represent quite as good a value as the accommodation, especially given the ready availability of other (more modest) dining options in the Borrowdale vicinity. (Drinks, from the honesty bar, were extra, but reasonable.) Again, a minor matter that would do nothing to deter me from a return visit … provided I am able to secure a booking!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dougtilton
WimLandman, Owner at Jacana Gardens Guest Lodge, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thanks a lot for this very positive feedback, we are so glad when our guests are happy ! We have adapted our dinner prices and we now offer 2-course home cooked dinners for US$ 20,- per person with complimentary coffee and/or tea.