“Fantastic Place - a home experience”
Review of York Lodge

York Lodge
Ranked #2 of 66 Specialty Lodging in Harare
Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is a beautiful place to spend your time while in Harare. Margo and Les have put together one of the best Lodges I have ever been to. Their attention to detail, beautiful landscaping, delicious food comes with a home away from home feel. I definitely recommend a stay at York Lodge. I have stayed there for the past few years on many occasions.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 21, 2014

The entire staff at York are friendly and approachable. The breakfasts and meals are a home-cooked treat that our whole team enjoys. Vegetarian options and dietary concerns are not a problem. The hosts are the best in the business and provide a family like atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I enjoyed a brief but memorable visit to York Lodge. Set in a lovely garden, in a quiet street, the residence has great charm and as the occupant of one of the 'contemporary' rooms, I was very happy. The bedroom and bathroom were spacious, and a great shower, comfy bed, lovely linen and a spacious, shared verandah all contributed to the experience.

My colleague and I ate in, and dinner was homestyle and tasty. We also met the other guests at the dinner table, and had some interesting conversation.

Breakfast was also yummy and I also enjoyed having morning coffee delivered to my room with delicious biscuits.

I was sorry to leave after just one night, but hope one day to be back again. If you are visiting Harare, and want a quiet and enjoyable resting place, this is it. B&Bs beat hotels, in my view.

Room Tip: There are contemporary rooms, where I stayed and more traditional rooms as well. I was very happy in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here on a work trip for a week. The room I stayed in was first rate - spacious, clean and well equipped (hair dryer and plug converters). Bathroom was a very good size and included a rain shower and huge bath. Very happy with the accommodation.

Food was great - breakfast was perfect. Help yourself to the fruits and cereals plus waiters take orders for cooked items. Orange juice at breakfast is the best I've ever tasted and I'm assured they are grown locally - I wish I could have taken sme home!

I stayed for dinner most nights and that was good too. In most cases it was simple food, well prepared. There was no choice for dinner but a small buffet selection - I am vegan and the hotel went to extra lengths to prepare meals specifically for me so again I can only complement the service and the chef.

The hotel grounds are well maintained and perfectly manicured...There were two pools that I didn't get to experience but they looked lovely.

All the staff were friendly and when booking the hotel they were responsive.

Two minor downsides - taxi's arranged by the hotel were on the expensive side ($50 for an airport pick up) and one evening I was kept awake by dogs barking.

On the whole this is a lovely spot, I'll certainly come back and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Enjoyed the peaceful quiet surroundings and lovely garden at York Lodge on a recent business trip to Harare. This will be my 1st choice from now on. Dinners very good and well stocked honesty bar. Close to city centre and very friendly service. Especially enjoyed the wake up coffee served in your room at a time you choose, no matter how early.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a second time at the York lodge this October. We love the staff, the property owners and the property. It is located in a beautiful part of Harare and the grounds are tended with attention. The food is excellent as well - both dinner and breakfast.
It is the staff and owners, however, that really make the lodge. They made us feel like family. We will be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent. The more newly aded rooms have a modern feel and look.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rich G
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Lodge and rooms are set in beautiful grounds with a mature and vibrant garden. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Margo and Les are wonderful and considerate hosts and looked after us with warmth and friendliness. I would not stay anywhere else in Harare.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends