“Generally nice people, but we won't be returning!”

Cresta Jameson Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Harare
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The hotel has potential (as I have read others say! I should have listened!)
The bathtub in both our rooms were quite dirty. I actually cleaned the shower head in the second room so it would function better. There appeared to be a stain on the sheets once, at least we hope it was a stain... Our first room was off in the corner, at the very end of the hall. The bed had several broken springs, there were no lamp shades, the hotel directory, room service menu and door placards to request maidservice and such were all missing. It felt like the junk room; as if they said, "Well, we have some extra, semi-working items, lets just put them in this room."
After fighting with the receptionist, they agreed to put us in another room. Other than the bathtub/shower head, this room was fine and I was appalled that my jet lagged mind let me sleep on that sorry excuse for a bed in the first room.
But other than having to fight for a decent room, the staff were quite wonderful! Oh, I guess they do take your breakfast away if someone doesn't stay at the table. Oh, and they don't tell you when they are out of something on the room service menu; they just change it and bring you something else.
Summary: Generally nice staff, rundown hotel in need of maintenance (only 1 workng lift at the time of our visit and it was down daily), decent location, ok breakfast, yummy room service with unannounced changes, questionable cleanliness and overall not a good value for the price. We will be trying a different hotel on our next visit. And we will not book through Expedia!! Otherwise we would have changed hotels and not stayed here for our entire visit.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank lulu f
CrestaManager, Manager at Cresta Jameson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Guest

We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Product update plans are in progress. We trust that there will be a marked improvement on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Mr. Tinashe Kuvheya, General Manager, Cresta Jameson

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed at the Jameson for 1 night. We usually stay at The Bronte but unfortunately they were full, seeing as Jameson's rate were the same we thought we'd give it a try. Staff were very friendly and checking-in was efficient. The main downside of this hotel is its maintenance, It seems no care has been taken to fix anything broken, painting on walls were peeling, bathroom tiles were old and cracked and the shower/bathtub had old silicone and mould, the bed had no mattress protectors and being a hotel manager myself I feel that protection against dust mites is essential. Rooms in genereal lacked refurbishing. Everything just seems very old and worn. For $120.00 a night, its just a waste if you ask me.. I will admit though that we did enjoy the breakfast but unfortunately breakfast alone is not enough to convince us to return :(

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nanonymous_12
CrestaHotels, Manager at Cresta Jameson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Cresta Jameson. We are pleased that you found our staff friendly and efficient, and that you enjoyed our breakfast. Areas of concern highlighted in your feedback are being addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Mr. Tinashe Kuvheya, General Manager, Cresta Jameson

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed several days and found no problems. Staff were friendly, rooms were clean. Upon arrival I payed a rate much less than I was advertised elsewhere, that was a welcome surprise.
The hotel is very centrally located and has it's own taxi service that will run you around Harare for around 5-10 dollars. Internet in the rooms was the fastest I experienced while in Zimbabwe.
I would stay there again if I ever found myself returning to Harare.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Lee P
CrestaHotels, General Manager at Cresta Jameson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Greetings from Cresta Jameson Hotel.

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay. We are pleased that you found our team friendly, our rooms clean and enjoyed the central location of our hotel. We are especially pleased that you were able to connect to our internet with ease.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about Cresta Jameson Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

i stayed there and wanted something central close the the passport office; i must say the hotel was terrible.... my phone got stolen in there when i forgot it so clearly .. the rooms were also dirty.. and the service was terrible

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MrsNM2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Cresta Jameson. We are sorry that our service did not live up to your expectations. Areas of concern highlighted in your feedback are being addressed. We look forward to hosting you again in future.

General Manager, Cresta Jameson

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is located in the CBD of harare. it is officially rated 4 star but in fact it is no more than a 2 star. one can tell that it used to be 4 star but has fallen behind. It is in urgent need of touch ups and repainting. the rooms tend to feel a bit musty but not too much. it is not dirty, just has old furniture kinda rundown a bit.
Stayed there a number of times but i've since moved my base elsewhere.
The service is good though. The staff make it all the more bearable and it is still an ok hotel. there are better ones though. Again the rates are 4 star but the facilities are not.
Hope they fix it up. it can be a great hotel still.
Good restaurants, conference rooms, breakfast is also quite good.

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from the Samora Machel Ave. They are quieter by far.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank BIllMoyanne
CrestaHotels, General Manager at Cresta Jameson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Greetings from Cresta Jameson Hotel.

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor regarding your stopover at Cresta Jameson. We would like to thank you for choosing us and hope that we will see you again.

We would like to apologize for any confusion regarding our rating - the Cresta Jameson is actually a 3 star hotel. We appreciate your kind comments on the service and the hardworking staff. We are aware of the need for refurbishment in the hotel, and are currently working to make improvements in this area. We do appreciate your comments and with your helpful feedback, we can work on problem areas and affect improvements in a swift manner.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stopped over here for a drink and found the hotel much as I left it last time I was here. It does look a bit run down, there were things like the stair edges missing where they could have been replaced. I trust it will be given a lick of paint soon and some basic maintenance as I remember it being a fine hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
CrestaHotels, General Manager at Cresta Jameson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had to find a place that arranged late night airport transfer. I also needed a base near the passport offices. the Jameson met both conditions. as for the transfer, they sent a fine taxi guy called Brian and made me feel welcome. check in and reception was good. the room was a bit old and dirty. Not dirty as in not been swept but as in needs refurbishing. The TV was not so much of an issue on the first night but I couldn't work it. its a fair hotel but I think it busks too much in the fame of its past.
they serve semi self service breakfast. all in all it is a secure helpful and simple hotel favoured by a lot of politicians from out of Harare.

Room Tip: I am not sure which rooms but I am told there is a wing with good rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
CrestaHotels, General Manager at Cresta Jameson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Greetings from Cresta Jameson Hotel.

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Cresta Jameson. We would like to thank you for choosing us and hope that we will see you again.

We are pleased to hear that on the whole your stay was satisfactory, but regret that you did not get the TV working. We are aware of the need for refurbishment in the rooms, and hope to make improvements in this area. We do appreciate your comments and with your helpful feedback, we can work on problem areas and affect improvements in a swift manner.

Tinashe Kuvheya