“Good, but not amazing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Harare
Arlington, Virginia
“Good, but not amazing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Overall I was satisfied, but next time I may try the Meikles for comparison.

What I liked: the garden is lovely - its such a nice place to relax at the end of the day. The location is good - walkable to two supermarkets and quite close to the center of town (but doesn't feel like it because the garden setting). Wi-fi signal was excellent! I was able to make video calls with no problem - that was fantastic! It is not a cookie-cutter corporate hotel (if you don't like that type of stay). Breakfast was good - buffet fruit, pastry, cereal, yogurt plus made-to-order eggs/bacon/sausage (the fresh made scones - biscuits like - are amazing!! I really appreciated the greek yogurt too). Overall the food was good (not amazing, but definitely good). It was nice to have the option of two restaurants (though the open time for dinner for both is later than I'd prefer - I like an early dinner). Emmanuels Restaurant had a very interesting menu (like ostrich, crocodile, venison, guinea, impala) if you like that kind of thing, I tried an eggplant/puff pastry dish that was good. Generally the front desk staff was friendly. I hosted a meeting in a meeting room and it was easy/well-organized. No complaints. My room (a recently remodeled one, not the standard, but Deluxe I think) was clean, smelled fine, bed was good. Nothing super fancy, but obviously recently remodeled, nice and clean and well cared for. Nice new bathroom (glass shower, separate bath). Housekeeping was very good. Television signal was good - normal African hotel channels. Power only went out temporarily twice in seven days (and generator kicked in quickly). In room safe provided.

What I did NOT like: no business center (!!). If you are going to need to print and photocopy, consider staying elsewhere. There is one computer in the hotel staff office that you can use to print but it is slow, it only prints one-sided and only black and white (plus the ink toner was very light). Plus it was still pricey at $0.50/page. I asked the front desk attendant where nearby I could print duplex, color copies and was told "I don't know. Downtown." (Helpful!) Breakfast service was generally quite slow and without a smile. Room service is only available 7pm-9:30pm -- I usually skip lunch as I'm in meetings, so I like an early dinner in my room and that is simply not possible at the Bronte. I found that very frustrating there was no flexibility on that. The room service menu is also very limited though I did make a few special requests that were catered to. Some employees were friendly, but most were not very friendly -- especially the restaurant staff. I called the front desk (very sick with a nasty cold) asking about cold medicine and I was told they would call me back and they never did. I also didn't love staying in a back building - I would have preferred around the main garden/courtyard. It was dark and creepy walking to my room at night too. Housekeeping should give 1 bottle of water for brushing teeth, 1-2 for drinking but I only got one a day. No mini-refrigerator in my room was odd.

Room Tip: The hotel is set up with various two story buildings. I was in one of the back buildings (room 208 I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JMP1123
Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear JMP

Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to get positive comments about our hotel. We take note of the areas we need to improve on and these will be addressed in due course.

We hope you will give us an opportunity to impress you on your next visit to Harare.

Bronte Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Exminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Bronte on business trips to Harare seven times over the post four years. I have also stayed at several other top hotels in Harare, including Meikles and the Crowne Plaza, but I have no hesitation recommending the Bronte.

It is not as flashy as the Crowne Plaza nor as fancy (and expensive) as Meikles, but it is by far the best place to stay. The rooms are well appointed and furnished, and kept in very good condition, and always very clean. The garden is in a class of its own. The lack of air conditioning in most rooms (except the luxury rooms) is really not a problem in Harare which is hardly ever uncomfortably hot, and the generous opening windows provide plenty of ventilation.

But what makes the Bronte special is the quality of friendly service. The staff all are very cheerful and friendly, and well trained and competent -- signs of good management which many more expensive hotels cannot achieve.

If you are tired of the cold formality of large hotels, try the Bronte, where every staff member shares his name, and if you care to spend a few minutes talking you will be warmed by that famous Zimbabwean hospitality.

The other thing that makes the Bronte particularly special is the garden, which is the most beautiful and well maintained of any hotel I have ever stayed in. Step out of your room into a beautiful green space, with trees, wel maintained pathways and many beautiful nooks and crannies you can nestle into for an hour or more of peace and quiet, with the sound of birds to lull you gently. It is a little paradise.

The dining restaurant is good and very good value, and if you want to upmarket your meal, there is Emanuel's right there n the premises -- one of the best restaurants in Harare.

This is not a world class hotel in terms of facilities and services, but I still stay here in preference to the much more expensive competitors because of the friendly service and the garden.

Oh, and if you would like to save a few bucks, you can elect to be put into rooms in the annex called Queensgate just across the road. The rooms are very nice, recently refurbished, and $10 a day cheaper. Plus you still have access to the Bronte facilities and garden, and excellent free internet.

Give it a try. If you like to stay in a place where you are a person instead of a client, try the Bronte.

Peter B.

Room Tip: Stay in an upstairs room on the wing overlooking the "crocodile pond". Nice little balcony...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Peter B
Famina O, General Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Peter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. Your recommendation and comments about our product and service are very much appreciated. We most certainly look forward to your next visit.

Thank you for making Bronte your hotel of choice in Harare.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed three nights. Hotel is a gem - built around beautiful gardens. Unpretentitous rooms and service, very comfortable and clean. Food in Emmanuels restaurant was top notch and great value. Breakfast also excellent.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank alwayshungryformore
Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Melboyg

Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation. We do try our best to be the hotel of choice in Harare and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!

Chimoio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel has strengths: great gardens offering quiet and shady workplaces (ideal for informal business meetings), mostly well trained attentive and polite staff members at all levels, perfectly adequate rooms, and all in a good central location. The food is adequate and not too expensive. Unfortunately, our stay was tarnished by the maltreatment of my Mozambican wife. Our waiter did not believe her when she ordered medium-rare steak so delivered a well done version. We sent the steak back. More than 20 minutes later another plate arrived (yes, 20 mins for a med-rare steak!). This meat was still overdone but far worse was the fact that it was mostly fat and gristle. The plate stayed untouched after a couple of attempts to find something edible. The kitchen's revenge? Or a genuine mistake. The surly waiter did not apologise and the restaurant attempted to charge us for the meal - though once the restaurant manager was brought in he acted with professionalism and courtesy. Similarly, the next day when I noted the incident with the Manager, the response was absolutely spot on. Other than this unfortunate incident we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MozEcoTours
Famina O, General Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear MozEco Tours

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We note your concerns regarding poor service in our restaurant, please rest assured that we have taken the necessary steps to ensure this does not happen again.

Once again please accept our sincere apologies and we hope to see you on your next visit to Harare.

Tarragona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Was my 1st time in Harere and were lodged in another hotel. I've looked for a good restaurant and find Emmanuel's, oustanding servide and really good rate price/quality. Then I asked to see some rooms in order to change to Bronte in future visits. Frontdesk personnel was really helpful showing me all 4 types of rooms. Definitely I will stay at Bronte next time in Harare

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JoanTgn
Dear Joan Tgn

Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation. We look forward to your next visit to the Bronte!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

As a regular visitor I have been looking for a change from Meikles. I don't want to stay in Holiday Inn, Mono's etc and someone recommended Bronte. Firstly it is a decent price, not the normal USD rip off. Airport collection is outsourced and this is something they need to address - it was late, expensive, rude and the driver tried to charge 30 each even though there were 3 of us - it should be 30 per trip.
However, check in was easy and quick. Although there was only one Front Office staff on duty, another 2 were quickly found to help us. The rooms were clean, amenities good and linen and towels were acceptable for a 3/4 star. Water temp and pressure were a bit of a lottery, but not too bad. I did find the bathroom lighting a bit dull, maybe an above the sink light would help.
Breakfast was good, service was quick and there was enough space. Toasties around the pool at lunch were acceptable and again the service was quick.
The bar staff and service in the evening were also up to a high standard and the drinks were reasonably priced.
Check out was quick, accurate and easy.
2 highlights were the free wireless (well done!) and the complimentary meeting rooms. The latter we took advantage of a few times and they are a real bonus.

I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank bizfish
Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Bizfish

Thank you for your review and recommendation. Your comments are much appreciated and we certainly look forward to your next visit. We have taken note of your concerns and will do our best to ensure these are resolved.

Middelburg, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

After flying directly from schiphol Amsterdam to Harare, i was brought at night to this Hotel not far from the airport. You enter by a beautiful garden and i was welcomed by the staff of the hotel. Checking in went fast and my backpack was brought directly brought to my spacious room. The bathroom was beautiful with a rain shower. There is a balcony and a lcd tv. Next morning i was woken up by the sound of birds and the sunlight. I went for breakfast in the beautiful garden with statues, swimming pool and restaurant. The breakfast was very good with fresh juices, beacon, eggs, fresh fruits, cupcakes and so on...in my experience a great hotel but then again not cheap.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank PetervanderGiessen
Famina O, General Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Petervandergiessen

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.Your comments about our establishment and staff are much appreciated. Our staff are always pleased to receive such positive feedback. Regarding the room rate we have a number of alternative room types on offer from budget to executive accommodation.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Harare!