“Brilliant”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Harare
London, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went for work, enjoyed the beautiful grounds and great hospitality.
Fabulous breakfast all the fruits I love enjoying while in Africa. Very helpful hotel staff, I felt cold and needed an extra blanket and got it. Fab grounds. Made it seem all the better for the amount of work I had to do while there. Only warning like most of Africa internet availability is a bit poor.

Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made it extra special. Regarding WIFI, we have advised our service provider to address your concern.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Bronte Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have just returned from a business trip, having not visited Harare since 1995. I stayed at the Bronte simply because another businessman I was meeting in Harare had booked in here. Neither of us had stayed here before, but both of us will book here again on our next trip. Let's just say I'd rather hold all my meetings in the gardens and buildings of this fine establishment than anywhere else in Harare.

The staff are very helpful and genuinely friendly, and when I use the word genuinely, I really do mean it. This is of course a trait of most Zimbabwean citizens, however, when your well-being is inquired after, it is great to know the person inquiring is actually interested in hearing your answer as opposed to using it simply as a greeting. I stayed in a superior room which was modern, well furnished and very clean, including the linen and the carpet. It was so clean it looked like I was the first guest. My worldwide test of cleanliness is whether I'm happy to walk barefoot in my room. This room passed my test with top marks. The bathroom also looked like it had recently been refurbished. The fittings looked brand new and it was also exceptionally clean. The room was spacious and had everything one might need including a keypad safe.

One of the major benefits to me was their hotel-wide free Wifi. You are limited to 200Mb per day, but that was sufficient for me as all I wanted to do was catch up on emails and read the news sites. This service was available at all times and it was surprisingly fast. I really did appreciate this free service as so many other hotels I have stayed in either charge you for WiFi access or it is terribly slow and/or unreliable.

So, to the negatives - the TV reception was very dodgy in my room, only two channels were clear enough to watch. The bathroom towels were not what one could describe as fluffy, it was as if the water they had been washed in was quite hard or perhaps they had run out of softener. Then there was a very strange noise at night, one that actually woke me, which is a feat in itself. It sounded like someone was loading a shipping container by throwing the goods into it every now and then, very odd. So if you stay at the Bronte don't stay in room 211.

In conclusion - I don't travel to watch TV, so that wasn't a train smash, and with free Wifi one can receive ones news on ones iPad or laptop; the towels were clean and far from threadbare, so I could live with them being less fluffy than expected and the noise, whilst irritating, was not so bad that I could not sleep, besides, the bed was just how I like a bed, not too soft, more on the firm side. I will return there on my next trip and when I do I will simply request a different room.

This hotel is a special place. The pure beauty of the gardens and the staff make it so. As I commented to my colleague over a delicious breakfast buffet while seated outdoors - it is a pity our trip is so short, sitting here in these beautiful surroundings makes one wish one could stay longer. I now look forward to my next trip to Harare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not in the same block as 211.
2 Thank PTCooper
Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear PT Cooper

Thank you for your review , we are glad that our facilities and service met and surpassed your expectations. Regrettably we do apologize for the noise that disturbed your sleep, on further investigations we discovered that it was being caused by a water hammer in the plumbing. This and the poor TV reception have since been rectified by our maintenance team. Regarding fluffy towels we are looking into softening our borehole water.

Once again we would like to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention and hope to see you soon.

Best wishes

Hallevik, Sweden
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and it has a lovely atmosphere. The staff are doing everything to help you out when you need them. The food is very good and tasty, however, the service a bit slow even if there are few guests.
They do have a swimming pool but I wouldn't recommend you to take a swim. It is quite filthy.
I wish they had AC since it can be quite hot in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Birgit B
Dear Pellerina

Thank you for your review. The hotel is in the process of upgrading its standard rooms, once complete, will either have ceiling fans or air conditioning units. Our swimming pool is also due for a face lift this winter. Regarding slow service in the restaurant we are carrying out waiter training in order to improve our service standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte.

Bronte Hotel
Edingen-Neckarhausen, Germany
Reviewed March 16, 2013

When bronte was completely booked out and the other hotels in harare were insanely costly the reception of bronte was helpful in identifyingthe baines hotel opposite the road. decent spacious rooms, wlan complementary, hot shower and good breakfast buffet with attentive service made the stay pleasant. nex time coming to HarareIi shall book in again.

Dear Martin

Thank you for your positive review on the Baines bed and breakfast, please feel free to post a separate review on their Tripadvisor page.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte or Baines.

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Bronte Hotel was good, the staff friendly, although the beds left a bit to be desired. I stayed in a standard room and there was no air conditioning and the windows had no screens. With the issues they have with Malaria, I would have thought they would be covered.

I had dinner a few times at the hotel restaurant, the food was good but very western, not a lot of authentic food. Very well priced.

All in it was a great visit and I would return to the Bronte, although I would stay in a nicer room.

Room Tip: Bronte Hotel is a Bed and Breakfast.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Zoe

Thank you for your review. We note your concerns regarding mosquitoes and we are pleased to inform you that we are in the process of installing ceiling fans in our upgraded standard rooms (24 have already been completed) as well as air conditioning units in some standard rooms. The hotel also provides mosquito repellent spray and lotion in all rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte!

Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Wonderful garden which is well tended and a pleasure to wake up looking out to it. The rooms are not new but certainly well kept and quiet in the main building.
Stayed for two nights and front desk staff were very accommodating especially since there is now no business centre in the main hotel however I was allowed to print my few pages for free. Lunch was buffet style with so much to choose from although it got rather busy since two conferences were taking place. The breakfast was again a buffet with lots of fresh fruit and yoghurts and then an English breakfast to order. It is a hive of activity with the consultant types and garden meetings as well as two restaurants on the premises. The conference participants really appreciated the staff service with a smile and we will definitely return since it was value for money.

My car was secure in the car park the whole time I was there.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building rather than the annex.
1 Thank Kufunda
Famina O, General Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Kufunda

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and excited to announce the opening of 8 upgraded standard rooms this week. The remaining 16 rooms will re-open within the next 2 weeks.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte Hotel.

Bronte Hotel Team
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed in the Bronte for two nights during a visit to Zimbabwe. The pre booked check in functioned well as did a request to arrange transport from the airport. The staff were all most welcoming and friendly. Rooms comfortable and properly equipped. Good breakfast but the quality of the dinner menu depended upon what was ordered. Do not expect fast restaurant service.

Room Tip: Try to ensure that you have a room booked in the main complex. Have your own insect repellent!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 65plusonthemove
Famina O, General Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on our hotel. We have noted your concerns regarding mosquitoes and slow service in our restaurant. The hotel is now providing mosquito spray and repellent lotion in all rooms. Regarding service in our restaurant measures have been taken to improve our service standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte Hotel.

Bronte Hotel Team