“good, not great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shop Cafe

Shop Cafe
Ranked #30 of 157 Restaurants in Harare
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Washington DC
“good, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I arrived at Shop Cafe around 1:30 for lunch, and all but one of the tables were full and the lunch buffet was nearly bare. The first waiter that approached told me that the buffet was finished and he'd get to me when he had time, but he didn't give me a menu or take a drink order. After quite a wait, I was finally served my a much nicer waiter who apologized for the fact that I had been waiting and finally gave me a menu. Aside from the buffet, the lunch options are fairly slim, and the buffet prices appear to have increased since many other reviews were written-- a small (bread) plate is $12 and a large (dinner) plate $18, and it comes with lemonade and a bread basket. The second waiter was nice enough to let me get the buffet, and only charged me for a small plate given the wait and the slim pickings.

My salad was quite good, but would have been overpriced at $18, and the cappuccino was good as well. It was a nice lunch, but not as fabulous as the reviews led me to believe. The second waiter was the savior of the experience.

I suggest getting there at 12:30 when the buffet starts to be able to make the most of it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Melbourne, Australia
“Best lunch in Harare!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We love this place for its fresh, imaginative and delicious vegetarian salad buffet with warm homemade bread and a good coffee. This food wouldn't be out of place in Melbourne so is a major stand out in the suburbs of Harare. Also, the cafe is in a lovely outdoor setting and the staff and smiley and attentive (can be a little slow when busy). If you aren't into the salad buffet there are daily hot vege and meat specials plus a selection of yum cakes. Try their sister cafe at the national gallery in town too!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A little treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've eaten here on numerous occasions and am always pleased at the outstanding array of various dishes-all delicious, I might add!! They also whip up succulent meet or fish accompaniments to the buffet on request. The surroundings are pleasant and the kitchen staff entertaining. It definitely tops my rankings!

• Visited August 2013
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Admittedly my husband and I did not go to the Shop Cafe for a meal but we have visited on more than one occasion for a drink after shopping in the area. The first time we had a coke light & a coke float but waited a long time for the coke float which was disappointing. The next time we visited we waited in excess of 10 minutes to be served - again this was more at 'coffee' time than 'lunchtime' however we were not even acknowledged by the staff and left without making an order. A disappointing experience given the very positive reviews by others!

Visited August 2013
Chimoio
“Wonderful vegetarian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

The setting is lovely, and the food is creative, varied and very tasty. We didn't go beyond the salad and vegetarian buffet with its choice of small ($12) or large ($18) plates. A superb bread selection (we had beetroot, olive and others) is part of the offer, as is home made lemonade (a glass of which, unfortunately, was spilled by a waiter over one of our party's head - with surprisingly little effort to redeem the situation beyond a basic apology). Great place for a relaxing lunch.

Visited August 2013