All reviews french embassy breakfast buffet hotel management the location is perfect excellent hotel central tunis business tv avenue tunisia medina capital walid channels
Reviewed November 21, 2010

It was my first stay at Africe Hotel, i was there for quick buisness, 3 nights only ; it was wonderful , the location of the hotel is so parfect, comparing to other hotels in hammamet the hotel is more clean , the food was excellent , but the most important thing that i didnt see in others hotel " THE GUEST RELATIONS " i liked her way of speaking, she is the most excellent person who speaks english very well ! she is so helpful, and serviable .
Thank you so much for the rest of the Staff .

Date of stay: November 2010
1  Thank andre_lami
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Staying here is a tradeoff on location versus everything else you'd want in a hotel. It was nice to be walking distance to some of our meetings as well as the downtown shopping and cafes. Beds were extremely uncomfortable, expensive wifi worked sporadically, food was OK unless you wanted something special (like water), etc.
Two stays at Hotel Africa, bookending a long trip around the country. Both rooms were on the top floor - one was a "suite" and the other a "regular" room. The "suite" had a sitting room and second toilet, but was essentially the same as the "regular" room across the hall. The beds were hard and uncomfortable - I slept on the couch in the suite.
Breakfast was OK, although a long stare-down was required to get a crepe and getting water required speaking to at least 6 different staff members.
The only really helpful person at reception was primarily helpful to my cute female colleague, but at least we got some service.
The bellhop was nowhere to be found when I wanted to leave my luggage, but eager to get a tip when I was leaving and handling it myself.
Internet was expensive and unpredictable - wifi worked sometimes in my room and once in the lobby and nowhere else in the hotel.

Date of stay: October 2010
1  Thank murrain
Reviewed June 27, 2010

This hotel is located right in the heart of the city, close to cafes, restaurants, the Medina, etc. Great location overall. The hotel definitely caters to business types and doesn't have many amenities such a fitness centre, pool, spa, etc. Internet rates are expensive. The room was clean and I didn't have any problems with noise. The bed and pillows were a bit hard. It's definitely a 3*, not a 5* as the hotel suggests. I would probably stay here again given the lack of decent choices in the area.

Date of stay: June 2010
1  Thank Lola7572
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed here for two days while I was in Tunis. It was recommended to me both for the amenities as well as the location, and I have to say that my friend was right on both counts. First, it's on the Ave. Habib Bouragieba, and really, really close to some good places - the souk, the clock tower, lots of cafes and shopping, Monoprix, a theater, good carryout food, the French embassy, streetcar lines, a mall, etc. Second, it's just a really nice hotel. It's very western - it's a high rise with elevators, cable, a fab king size bed, room service - etc. (I didn't get the room service - it looked good, but expensive, and there are cafes everywhere and even a nice chicken-in-a-gyro type of carryout almost across the street, which is super cheap and very tasty, just don't expect U.S. type of food hygiene in the prep - but don't let it deter you! I didn't get sick or anything and it was really so, so yummy. Also both the mall and the Monoprix has grocery aisles with anything you really could want.) There is a safe which is really nice to have, you want to be able to leave your things behind when you go to the souk! (Someone said it was a 20 minute walk to the souk, but I think it was more like 10-15. Anyhow, it was nice and easy.) I was impressed that the windows opened even though I was on the 14th floor - they don't open enough for anyone to fall through, even a baby, but enough to catch some cool evening air and take a couple of snaps from the high view. There are three elevators,and they are kind of small, so there's sometimes a little wait, but it's not bad. The cable TV has a bunch of channels in at least 3-4 languages.

There is an exchange office in the lobby too, but they couldn't change my money when I was there, so I ended up just hitting the ATM next door. ATMs are everywhere in Tunis. The front desk was really helpful as well - when I checked in with them, I asked about hiring a car to go to Carthage for the day and they also thought I should see Sidi bou Said (which I wasn't thrilled with initially but I was so, so glad I did!), they did tell me a rate that I thought much too high (colleagues had gone from - farther - Hammamet for cheaper) and I told them what I would not pay more than... they made a call and got me just what I was looking for, and the driver spoke English too. (He actually only kinda sorta spoke English, but that's okay, we spoke French or more accurately, Franglais, and it wasn't the hotel's fault.) Anyhow, I was very pleased with their ability to help me out on this. The doorman of the hotel is also really nice. The lobby is like a lounge, with comfy chairs and sofas in a lot of space. You can meet people there, chill out with a book, whatever. There's also a bar - it's toward the back, but it makes things smoky in the lobby in the afternoon/evening.

The breakfast was fantastic as well! All the fab Mediterranean and Middle Eastern specialties, plus fresh juice squeezed, plus a crepe and omelet bar. Oh and they had all the bland western starchy stuff too. Just a very nice spread and a nice area to kind of chill out and regroup, plan the day, read the paper etc. (There were a number of papers in different languages there, to read and return.) There was sadly no wifi.

I recommend to anyone coming to Tunis!

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2010

It is a great hotel to stay at. The staff is lovely and helpful. You can find pleasure and places to go near the hotel. Situated in the center of the town, it gives the tourist no hard time finding his way around. I do recommend this hotel to everybody and I will sure book my next vacation with this hotel.

Date of stay: January 2010