“good value for money”
Review of Africa Hotel

Africa Hotel
Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in Tunis
Reviewed May 1, 2012

monumental hotel in the middle of the main street of Tunis, so tall that you can see it from far away, which is excellent if you get lost (by yourselve or by a taxi driver). the LOCATION is the best issue of this hotel, it is located 10 mins walk from Medina, accros the street there are many nice places to go.
the hotel it self is more than ok.
clean, everything works and on place, nice staff, rich breakfast (great omlet).

no wi-fi in rooms and pitty that there is no pool.
be patient with elevators.... they will come sooner or later ... :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
AyaB, Director of Sales at Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2012

Dear guest,
We would like to express our sincere thanks for taking the time to post your comments regarding your last stay at Africa Tunis Hotel.
We are glad that you found the location of the hotel convenient, and enjoyed your stay with us. Also we are honoured that the hotel facilities, the breakfast and the staff met your expectations.
Please be informed that the wifi is free of charge at the reception area and in the rooms.
Thank you for your attention, and we hope to see you again
The Management

Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Hotle is well positionned , but the rooms are dirty , and at your check out you will be obliged to pay what you dint consume at the mini bar !!!
The staff is very rude at tha restaurant !
The lift is not working 2 lifts only and the phone not working .
But the reception staff are so helpful and the Guest Relation is amazing and very actif .

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank daniel d
AyaB, Director of Sales at Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Dear guest,

We are pleased that you found the location of the hotel convenient and the guest relation and the reception staff helpful.
Please be informed that all your remarks were forwarded to our executive team for consideration.
We always appreciate getting feedback and hope to welcome you again with better service.

Sales Office

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Pretty dreadful place I'm afraid. Positives - location is excellent and the rooms are a decent enough size. Free wifi is a bonus.

Room service food is dire, worst I have ever tasted. So awful in fact it made the efforts of Air France appear delicious. Frankly, if you are going to do something that badly, don't do it.

Room I had was clean, but tired. I had a stunning view of an air extraction vent.

It is allegedly a 'business hotel' so sjould understand that us blokes like to look our best for our meetings. But try getting an iron to press your post luggage crush? Not a chance. Best offer was a laundry service. No excuse at all for this, just poor service levels.

On the subject of service, there is a split between the utterly sullen and the pleasant. Receptionists being utterly sullen and the room service, bar and portering staff being friendly.

I'm not paying the bill for this as its a work thing, but frankly the rack rate is too high for whats on offer.

I can't say with any authority what else is available, but think Trust House Forte, and your expectations will be met.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Stenhouse_1
AyaB, Director of Sales at Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Dear guest,
We are highly delighted that you found the location of the hotel convenient. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed the free internet connection and that you found the bar and portering staff friendly.
We apologize greatly for the inconvenience you had during your stay.
Please rest assured that we are undertaking the needed measures to make sure such inconvenience do not occur again.
Thank you for your attention, and we hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,
The mangement

Reviewed February 11, 2012

The location of the "Africa Hotel" is excellent, and all taxi drivers seem to know it. Unfortunately, the first thing that put me of was the extensive cigarette smoke in the lobby. The check-in was very efficient, and the reception staff were very helpful and friendly throughout our stay. The rooms have a good size and wireless internet, but the bathrooms get only 4 1/2 stars. The dinner buffet at the main restaurant is mediocre at best, and the lunch buffet is better but still not good value for money. Housekeeping is rather slow but effective. Overall, a hassle-free stay which could have had a few more frills and would make this a true 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
AyaB, Director of Sales at Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear Guest,
We sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, the staff, the room and the internet.
We would like to inform you that your remarks concerning the buffet and the standing of the hotel was forwarded to our executive team for consideration. Also, be informed that a lifting program is already prepared and is under study for execution.
We look forward to welcoming you soon at our property.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have been to Tunisia many times. This was my first stay at the Africa Hotel. My taxi was met at the door by security / bell hops and I was promptly brought to the reception. My check in was seamless and all my questions answered politely and accurately. My room was ready (early afternoon).

A well mannered bell hop took me to my room and showed me how to work the TV, lighting, windows, et cetera. The air conditioning was off for the season which meant that the room was quite hot for me (Canadian) and the bell hop explained that with the window open, the temperatures would quickly go down with sunset at 6:00 p.m. He was right.

The bedding was luxurious. The sleep hardly memorable as I slept like a log. Breakfast was exquisite beyond belief. One of the finest I have ever seen laid out anywhere other than on some luxury cruise ship. Most of the guests appeared to be with a large Asian tour group and they certainly seemed to be happy.

I would expect a 5 Star property to have a swimming pool and A/C 365 days of the year, but truthfully? The staffing was extraordinary and the cost? about the same as a budget hotel in any North American City.

I would go back in a flash.

On my way to the airport, security hailed me a cab. I should have nailed the cost but didn't. It was 20 dinar on meter. It should have been between and 4 and 5 dinar. I hailed a Police Officer and gave him my identification and left the cab driver to explain how his meter operated. I paid certainly, a foreign country, I want no issues but I feel robbery should be reported anywhere.

My only regret, I forgot to leave a tip for the chambermaid and the bell hop who brought my luggage to the cab. That bothers me. There services were above and beyond.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank downtownbnbs
AyaB, Director of Sales at Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are honored that you enjoyed your stay with us and that hotel facilities and services met your expectations.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the staff of the hotel, the room, and the breakfast.

Thank you once again for your nice review. We always appreciate getting feedback and hope you choose to stay with us again in the very near future.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Problem at the checkin ,no available rooms before 3h00PM, " Sorry but the rooms still dirty !"thats the only answer from the front desk !,The internet is so expensive 10 euros!
But the staff in the restaurant is so serviable, the food was ok ,the room after was ok , spacious, and cleaned ,the staff was quiet friendly , the guest relations was so professional and very quick .
I was happy with the hotel location , whatever you want is arround you and the security agents are so helpful .
Just be careful from the taxi drivers !!they can make you pay more than 45 euros for a distance of 10 kilometers , and either less !

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
AyaB, Director of Sales at Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear guest,
We thank you for your feedback which we can use for our continuous improvement.
We are very pleased to read all the positive comments you mentioned, especially about the professional staff of the hotel, the room and the restaurant. We are also pleased that you found the location of the hotel convenient.
We would like to inform you that the internet will be free of charge in 2012 and that your remark concerning the check in is forwarded to our executive team for consideration .
Thank you for your attention, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I actually stayed here more than a year ago, well before the civil unrest and government change in Tunisia. But I wanted to review this place for the location and convenience it offers bang in the center of Tunis on Habib Bourguiba, which is the main street of the city.

The most luring feature about Hotel Africa is it's location (period). It's not a bad place, but not meriting the 5star rating it carries and the stay, service, staff attitude is all average. But in a country where few speak English and you don't know who you can and can't trust, Hotel Africa offers a safe place to stay, decent local and continental cuisine in room service and room was not bad at all... so if you are the kind who likes to stay close to all the action and not not spend your evenings sitting in your room watching television after a day of work, then you can't find a more convenient place to stay. I was there for a week on business.

There are numerous restos and shops, the medina, etc all in walking distance from Hotel Africa which for me was a big plus.

Room Tip: take a room facing Habib Bourguiba... makes for a nice view.