“Just forget about it crapy & dirty”

Golden Tulip El Mechtel
Ranked #25 of 55 Hotels in Tunis
Reviewed November 30, 2012

If u are thinking to go to Tunis just forget about this one

Dirty filthy & lazy

Not to speak about the pool surrounded by spotted chairs that nobody even thought to wash in years

It's a big no for the bad everything ...........in the down town noisy & smoggy area of Tunis
But most of all it was really dirty

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MariacriistinaHeller
Christian Q, Directeur général at Golden Tulip El Mechtel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Mrs. Maria,

We thank you for taking the time to post your comments & remarks about your stay dated on July, at the Golden Tulip El Mechtel Tunis

We apologize greatly for the inconvenience you had during your stay…

We also regret your disappointment regarding the centre of Tunis but at the same time we believe that the town center all over the world has its charm and is still the centre of the capital's business and administrative activities,
Please rest assured that we truly take your comments seriously and share them with our associates, so we may resolve any carelessness and failures relatives to our hotel services.

Thank you again for your remarks and we are looking forward to welcome you again in our property.

Warm regards

There are newer reviews for Golden Tulip El Mechtel

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had worst experience ever during my 1.5 month stay in the hotel:

1. I have been charged for an item from mini bar in the room, but have actually never used anything from the room mini bar. Regardless of my argument at the reception during my check-out I had to pay for an item which I have never consumed, although the charges were not much. The duty manager said next time I stay in the hotel, I should request at the reception to empty the mini bar before I occupying the room.

2. Ordered a meal for dinner from the menu card in the room, but the room service has charged me higher price, which was not reflecting in the menu card. The room service lady said that it is an old price for the item that I have ordered. She insisted on signing the invoice and said to speak at the reception. My fault I have signed and let the matter pending till my check-out. Spoke at the reception during my check-out, she made me speak with the room service manager on the phone to resolve the issue. The room service manager was extremely rude and literally shouted at me during the phone conversation. I had no choice at the end, since I have signed the invoice, so I end up paying for the meal at much higher price which was not reflecting in the room menu card.

3. Air conditioner was not cooling the room on many occasion during my stay.

4. Couple of times the whole hotel had power outage during my stay for 30 minutes each time.

5. Once around early in the morning the water pressure just stopped for more than an hour.

6. By all means its a 3 star hotel by international standard.

7. I must say only some hotel employees were really good, specifically the cashier on duty was really helpful and did her best to resolve the first two issues, unfortunately the matter was not in her power. So I had to pay the extra charges. What a rip-off!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Safwan B
Christian Q, Directeur général at Golden Tulip El Mechtel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear M. Safwan

We thank you for taking the time to post your comments & remarks about your last stay at the Golden Tulip El Mechtel Tunis.

We regret learning that we unfortunately could not meet your expectations with regards to your remarks on the evoked services and maid's attitude, please be assured that we truly take your comments seriously and share them with our associates, so we may resolve any carelessness and failures.

Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your last stay with us and we thank you for your constructive comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

We look forward to seeing you again at the Golden Tulip El Mechtel on your next visit to Tunisia.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

we stayed for a week end , nice hotel clean rooms, whe had nice lunch in the italian restaurant , and diner in The lebanese, the aera is not the best and no spanish channel. A very good four star hotel, we would come back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Herve V
Christian Q, Directeur général at Golden Tulip El Mechtel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear M.Hervé,

We sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your stay at the Golden Tulip el Mechtel Tunis.

We are highly delighted to read all the positive comments you mentioned, and please be assured that we truly take your remark regarding the Spanish channels seriously, so we will certainly share your points with the respective team members.

We look forward to seeing you again at your Golden Tulip El Mechtel on your next visit to Tunisia

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2012

the hotel it not bad . is in center of tunis the problem is in bar a lot of tunisian girls looking for the men the bar staff very rude and the service very poor i will recomment this hotel for the familly with children

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lahcen161

Dear Sir,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your last stay regarding the maid’s attitude and the quality of services and please be assured that we may resolve any carelessness and failures.

We look forward to seeing you again at the Golden Tulip El Mechtel

Best regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed there at the time of North Africa Com in May. It took us approximately 3 hours to locate the hotel, because of 2 facts:
a) because we are great scholars of French & Arabic Literature
b) because there are 2 Golden Tulips in the same city. Yes you heard me right!!! We went to the wrong one first (which was apparently an opulent 5-star property in the Gammarth area)

Travel Tip: Learn a bit of French or Arabic before landing in this country as these are the only 2 languages known to the common people(read taxi drivers) there. English is as alien to them as UFO's to us.

Now coming to the hotel, it was a decent stay for the price we paid. Rooms & the bathrooms were good & clean. Size of the rooms was just enough. Neither too big nor too small. 100% carpeted floors which felt a bit old fashioned (or maybe in Tunisia its still the norm). The biggest surprise for us was when we were asked to pay on per hour basis for internet usage!! They don't even provide you free internet with your stay. On top of that, the internet is NOT WiFi. There is ONLY a single cable per room & me & my colleague had to take turns using the net. Simply irritating. No lockers in rooms too. If you have valuables then store it in the reception which they think is SAFER than individual room lockers!!!

Apart from that, the hotel staff could do better with a class of English. Expect the receptionists no one understands English. We had a pretty hard time ordering room service for this reason. Also, food options are absolutely a NO-NO if you are an Indian & that too a vegetarian. Its beef everywhere & in every item of the menu. They should really provide some good options for vegetarians (apart from green salad). Coffee is strong & fantastic. We really enjoyed it for the whole length of our stay.

All in all, a good place to stay but they can do better in many ways. Recommendation? Stay there if you don't have any valuables with you, are used to pay for internet usage & can eat beef.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Christian Q, Directeur général at Golden Tulip El Mechtel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments concerning your stay in our hotel Golden Tulip El Mechtel Tunis.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our facilities, and sorry about about the confusion between the two hotels Golden Tulip in Tunis.

Concerning the other points, we are the process to renew our oldest bedrooms and to review our Wi-Fi policy.

I am surprised that you did not find a safe in your room as they are all equipped with this asset.
We also have an Italian, a Lebanese and a very comprehensive buffet catering for all taste, including vegetarians.

Thank you again for your comments and we are looking forward to welcome you again in our property.

Warm Regards

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I spent 4 weeks at the Golden Tulip El Mechtel for work in July/August 2012, and the experience was not a positive one. The hotel's location makes it impossible to reach restaurants or places of interest (except a park and zoo) on foot, while the on- site Lebanese and Italian restaurants were disappointing to say the least. There was no lack of personnel at breakfast, but service could be un-nervingly slow and unattentive. Maids would also barge into my room at all hours without even knocking. Theft was also a concern as a smart phone mysteriously disappeared from my room, where the window was left wide open in the 40 degree heat. The management did react with concern and eventually "compensated" me with a huge basket of fruit. They also claimed to have suspended a maid, which was upsetting since there was no proof that she actually took it. My hunt for the phone also led me to move the bed, revealing a fair amount of filth underneath it.
I do not know what other alternatives Tunis offers as far as "business" hotels, but I would certainly investigate them before electing to stay atthe Golden Tulip.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Todd C
Christian Q, General Manager at Golden Tulip El Mechtel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for writing to us concerning your stay at our hotel Golden Tulip El Mechtel.
We are very sorry your stay did not match your expectations.

We are aware your phone was missing, but we did our very best to find it and unfortunately did not, so as a gesture we thought to send you a large fruit basket.

We can insure you that the disagreement you experienced in your room and in the restaurant does not reflect the standard of our hotel.

If you like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

However, we would like very much to welcome you again at Golden Tulip El Mechtel and to make you then have and unforgettable experience.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

as it is very hot this time, we decided this hotel if there is an outdoor pool despite the center, internet and safe deposit box in the room. But one - this hotel is located quite isolated from the center of which there is nothing to consumable round so you have to take a taxi every time, 2 - Internet is a charge, 7 DTN by the hour or have to go to coffee in the hotel to be free but you need to eat so it is not at all free!, 3 - the safe deposit box in the room did not work (they were all removed in the hotel because they are easy to rob that the reason given by the receptionist of the hotel). 4 - arriving at the hotel, the case calls for a guarantee of 100.000 DTN this is normal but a surprise by leaving hotel, we had the cash to repay this amount to say that they have cashed if wanted not just print! that means we paid commission from the bank about 6 euros (12 TND), and we were reimbursed by the local money that we have absolutely no need for this money! The last, leaving the hotel, the guardian call a taxi parked in the garage of the hotel when it is not normal but regardless, we took the taxi to the center's request, he was very upset and very rude, explaining thatvery angry and very rude, explaining that he thought we go to the airport but we are free to go wherever we go! I think!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business