Stayed there at the time of North Africa Com in May. It took us approximately 3 hours to locate the hotel, because of 2 facts:
a) because we are great scholars of French & Arabic Literature
b) because there are 2 Golden Tulips in the same city. Yes you heard me right!!! We went to the wrong one first (which was apparently an opulent 5-star property in the Gammarth area)
Travel Tip: Learn a bit of French or Arabic before landing in this country as these are the only 2 languages known to the common people(read taxi drivers) there. English is as alien to them as UFO's to us.
Now coming to the hotel, it was a decent stay for the price we paid. Rooms & the bathrooms were good & clean. Size of the rooms was just enough. Neither too big nor too small. 100% carpeted floors which felt a bit old fashioned (or maybe in Tunisia its still the norm). The biggest surprise for us was when we were asked to pay on per hour basis for internet usage!! They don't even provide you free internet with your stay. On top of that, the internet is NOT WiFi. There is ONLY a single cable per room & me & my colleague had to take turns using the net. Simply irritating. No lockers in rooms too. If you have valuables then store it in the reception which they think is SAFER than individual room lockers!!!
Apart from that, the hotel staff could do better with a class of English. Expect the receptionists no one understands English. We had a pretty hard time ordering room service for this reason. Also, food options are absolutely a NO-NO if you are an Indian & that too a vegetarian. Its beef everywhere & in every item of the menu. They should really provide some good options for vegetarians (apart from green salad). Coffee is strong & fantastic. We really enjoyed it for the whole length of our stay.
All in all, a good place to stay but they can do better in many ways. Recommendation? Stay there if you don't have any valuables with you, are used to pay for internet usage & can eat beef.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Tulip proudly opens its new doors in previous Hotel El Mechtel.Situated on the perimeter of the Belvedere Park, Hotel El Mechtel, now under the management of the Golden Tulip chain, combines the ideal world of both business and relaxation. Having gone under extreme renovation of it's rooms, reception and conference facilities, with a focus on service upgrade, the Golden Tulip El Mechtel is now prepared to welcome international and local guests, while still offering international service standards. Relax and recline in the luscious greenery that surrounds this pacifying hotel, where service is ready at the ring of a bell.Please let us know your feedbackPaul Z. DiabGeneral Manager ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Tulip El Mechtel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip El Mechtel Hotel Tunis
- Mercure Hotel Tunis
- Mercure Hotel El Mechtel
- Golden Tulip El Mechtel Tunis, Tunisia, Africa