“Not fantastic...but almost certainly the best budget option in Tunis”
Review of La Maison Doree

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tunis
La Maison Doree
Ranked #11 of 19 Tunis B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Had an overall pleasant stay at the Maison Doree, a pleasant enough old-fashioned place in the middle of the new (French-built) city.

On the upside, the location was almost perfect - 1 minute walk to a major stop of the light rail, the main way for getting around Tunis; 2 minute walk to the main boulevard; 5 minute walk to the Medina or to the main rail station; and around 10 to the Tunis Marine station for trains to Carthage. Really could not choose a better location when staying in Tunis. The restaurant was good and economical (7.5 dinars = 4 euros for a 3 course meal of the day; a la carte menu slightly more expensive); and the price was good, just 55 dinars per night for a double room with bathroom (would have been less without WC)

On the downside were - as many other reviewers have mentioned - the smoke and trams. About half the rooms, including ours, face onto the busy tram tracks of Rue de Hollande, which finish early and start late. The flimsy, not properly closing windows do little to block out the sound of trams rushing by sounding as if they're going just a bit faster than the tracks can handle. So ask for a room on the other side, or bring ear-plugs. Fewer solutions for the smoke - it was just everywhere - the lobby, the bar (sometimes so much smoke as to obscure the forlorn no smoking sign there), the restaurant, the hallways - but by some miracle, not our room. I think we were very lucky in this regard, but at least with the rooms there are lots of windows to ventilate if necessary. In general, even if I hated it, the smoke was inevitable in a city where the first thing our taxi driver did on arrival at the airport was light a cigarette; and the second to offer one to us.

The rooms themselves were good enough and clean enough.

English was spoken by most staff, with the others not resentful of my broken, error-riddled French.

Ultimately, if I were going back to Tunis on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. After significant internet research, this seems to be the cheapest proper hotel; the only realistic cheaper option being a bizarre and undesirable youth hostel. Just a bonus that it's brilliantly located.

If you're planning to stay here, the hotel still hasn't entered the 21st century and gotten itself a website; but has at least entered the 1990s and gotten itself a proper email. It didn't until quite recently, and it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on the internet. It's hotelmaisondoree@ymail.com

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Aroldo_Cameron
There are newer reviews for La Maison Doree

Reviewed October 11, 2011

Firstly let me say that overall the room was relatively clean ie clean sheets, clean bathroom. However, don't stay here unless you don't mind the stink of smoke. Although the sheets were clean, the smell of smoke was so strong you could almost bite it. It permeated the bedding. I opened the window & I got the cigarette smoke from the people sitting in the cafe below. I sat in the lounge for a while & people just walked through to the dining room with lit cigarettes. I asked for a different room, but none were available. I had already travelled in Tunisia & this was the first hotel where I had this experience.
The hotel is very conveniently located near the main railway station & town centre. However, it's not actually at 6 rue du Holland. It's in a lane behind this address. Luckily a local saw me looking perplexed & pointed me into the lane. Other than actually finding the hotel, the location is good.

Room Tip: At least ask for a room that is not above the lane so you don't get the smoke from people below...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karin V
Reviewed February 9, 2011

what a wonderful place oozing charactor.
Breakfast not the best - often without any bread - although this might have had something to do with the curfew.

Friendly, great location.
In some first floor rooms you might have a problem with sounds all through the night from some kind of boiler system , and the noisy tram.
Moved to the 4th floor with great balcony

great value.
paid about UK£20 a night for large room with balcony

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jethro672
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I almost agree with WhiteCamel that I don't want to give such a good review for fear of making the place too crowded, but the truth is they deserve the attention. What a great little place. It's not maintained in perfect condition, and it's not luxurious, but it's a friendly place with perfectly decent rooms and beds, nice staff, a bit of "old world" charm and a tasty continental breakfast included in the room rate. There is free wifi in the lobby and a restaurant on the ground floor. Also very close to the center of town - about five minutes walk. Note that Tunisians don't usually schedule things too far in advance, so it's best to call less than a week ahead of your arrival. I will absolutely return to the Maison Doree on my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank 45CountriesSoFar
Reviewed November 28, 2010

To be honest, I really don't want to share this info, it was that good...
We happened to find this hotel (Aug 2007) and stayed there for 3 nights. The room was not so big for two, but could sense the history of good ol' days from the furniture or the interior design of this building.
The best part I would say was the breakfast they served, the working staff were friendly and great, although we spoke poor French!! There's a nice, tasty cafe just outside of the entrance, which we visited everyday for the excellent "capucin" they have.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WhiteCamel
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Just interesting, I don't know why. Almost all the taxi drivers don't know this hotel (even we show them the address).

It is a nice hotel with passenger lift but NO TV in room (you can watch TV in the common room in the Ground Floor).

Our room is facing the main street that the Metro is running , we don't need to set alarm clock - the Metro walk us up every morning.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank EllieChan
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We found this place via Lonely Planet and it didn;t disappoint. It's a great hotel, with free wifi in the lobby and helpful staff, particularly if you are there at the right time of day (some staff don't speak a lot of English). From here you can walk pretty easily to the medina and the souks, can visit some of the main attractions and hop on a bus or train or cheap cheap taxi to go to places like Sidi Bou Said and Carthage.

We stayed here for three nights and then for another night on our way out. The rooms are pretty basic but we found them comfortable. There is a 'guard' or caretaker on each floor and we semed to have our floor pretty much to ourselves.

The only thing I would have a bit of a grumble about is the fact that they refused point blank to store our luggage for us when we headed off to Sousse for a few of days, so we had to trudge off to the train station with them (only a five minute walk though) and leave them there. It all worked out OK in the end.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family