All reviewsbritish embassyplace de la victoiresmall balconyperfect locationthe main streetgreat hotelroom was cleanfree wifibabsupermarketornatetilescafessoukalcoholtaxitv
Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

Its location is perfect - a border between main french street and the old medina. You can walk these two contrasting main sightseeing areas in 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

The building which had been the English Embassy until recently was a beauty itself. Many Tunisians do not know hotel name but know it was the Embassy.

The problem is... its transform from the embassy to hotel was not so succesful. My room had many problems as it was poorly built. The water faucet leaked water as you can see in the picture. The shower booth also leaked water and makes the bath floor fully wet no matter how careful I was while using the booth.

The other odd thing was the refrigerator. It wasn't hooked and the power outlet was too far from the fridge to connect it. I had to move the table that blocked the outlet almost 1 meter to finally hook and turn the fridge on. Finally, the only elevator was out of order for half a day.

Overall, this newly renovated hotel was built very fancy but in cheap manner that it had many thing to be fixed already.

Nevertheless, the location and beauty of the building cover these shortcomings. I hope your room do not have the problems I experienced.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

We chose the Hotel Royal Victoria through Trip Advisor for its location near the Medina and its history. It’s a lovely hotel filled Tunisian tile work and colorful painted wood door frames, ceilings and doors.

The rooms are comfortable and air-conditioned. Our view from the third floor looks out on aka Olacdvde ka Victoire and one of the gates to the Medina.

It’s an easy walk to the more European areas of the city but we enjoyed the walk around the Medina today and a visit to the Cental Market.

The breakfast serves a delicious and filling full breakfast with Tunisian and Western items. We had a delicious dinner last night in their restaurant which although small and with a limited menu, produced a very tasty dinner.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2018

This wonderful hotel was my base camp for a four-day visit to the Tunis area. Housed in the former British Embassy, the hotel is elegant and the hallways and rooms are richly appointed in Moorish style with tiles, wood reliefs and lush fabrics.
The breakfast is nice, with an assortment of local salads, fresh local fruit, eggs to order, local pastries, and meats and cheeses. The staff was friendly and helpful, making a room available for a very early arrival after an overnight flight, and going out of their way to recommend places to visit and walking me to the ATM. And the location is superb, on a popular square right at the entrance to the medina.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have the best view but also the most street noise. I used the fan on the A/C unit for white noise and it was fine
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2018

great location, near the souks, close to the main down town boulevard, at the "bab al bahr" place.
friendly staff.
it was clean.
very nice and lovely arabesque Tunisian decor.
15 minutes to the airport.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2018

The big plus of this hotel is its location, right in the centre of the city, in front of the entrance of the souq. The rooms' decoration is beautiful, as is the balcony overlooking Place de la Victoire and the Porte de France.
The bed, however, is so hard, I wasn't able to get up painlessly after day 3.
The fridge of the mini bar didn't work. Breakfast is a lot of food, but not tasty at all, bread and cake tasted old and stale.
The biggest minus of this hotel is, unfortunately, its staff. Arriving in the middle of the night, there was nobody to show me to my room or carry my luggage. One of the main reasons I had chosen this hotel was the fridge in the room, as I have medication that must be kept cool. After reporting to the reception twice that it didn't work, and a lot was promised (twice) and nothing done (twice), I gave up.
After three days of course I knew the receptionist and the guard outside the relatively empty hotel - they didn't remember me, day after day, however. Several times a day I was stopped, quite rudely, in broken English, by the same guard from entering the hotel - rather disappointing. Not once during my whole stay, or after, was inquired about whether my stay was pleasant or whether I needed anything. Disappointing.
I won't return.