“Nice Business Hotel”
Review of Hotel le Consul

Hotel le Consul
Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Tunis
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Hotel le Consul provided much of what I needed during my stay in Tunis. The hotel has recently been refurbished, and the result is a clean, modern hotel with good service. The hotel restaurant also provides good food during dinner and better than average breakfast, which was free for my stay. The room I had was quiet and with tasteful decor and comfortable furniture and layout. Even the internet connection was good. The location of the hotel is not ideal for tourists looking to save money by walking. Taxis are probably the most convenient way to get to and from the hotel if visiting the sites of Tunis. That being said, Hotel le Consul seems like it would be a very good hotel for business travelers (my visit was for recreation).

The overwhelming majority of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only exception was the "gentleman" working the desk when I first arrived to check-in. Attitude made it seem that he was very annoyed that I chose to stay there. His attitude may have been related to the fact that arrived at the hotel directly after an excursion to some the ancient sites in the interior of Tunisia. I was a little dirty in my trekking shoes, excursion clothing, and large backpack in tow. I'm sure I did not match the clientele the hotel is trying to attract :o) But I guess I cleaned up well..I had a good experience from the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: Don't arrive at the hotel sweaty and dirty after an excursion.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stayed here on business for a week in Sept 2011. Hotel doesn't have great kerb-side appeal, however the interior is much better. Rooms are clean and service throughout the hotel is good. Hotel is conveniently located, however I did find a few taxi drivers who did not where it was located when I tried to return here after a day out. Overall a good clean hotel, probably around 3* in Europe equivalent, great service inside and a good location for Tunis.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel le Consul for business with a large group and the hotel was very accommodating and helpful. The rooms are clean and the service was good. The location was fine for this trip, though you must take a taxi to the Souk or La Borgita. Most of the taxi drivers did not know the hotel, so if you don't speak Arabic (some of our drivers didn't speak French) it's a good idea of keep the card with hotel contact information with you. Overall we were very happy with le Consul and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I booked at Le Consul on the basis of previous reviews. The first impression was just terrible: a nondescript building in a quiet but dirty street with a stinking sewage odor all over the place. Fortunately, the inside sounded better: a warm welcome, a clean and large bedroom overlooking a backyard and a parking with flat screen TV and good selection of foreign channels, a modern bathroom well supplied with amenities. Stationery, recap of hotel facilities, Tunis maps, etc are not available any more. The shower curtain is about 2 to 3 in. too short with the consequences one may figure out. Buffet breakfast was simple but ok but it could do with a bit more variety. The bar could be a relaxing place for a last drink if it was not for a TV (soccer matches) at a volume that no one was willing to turn down.
Safety in Tunis has become an issue. My wife got her gold chain snatched 200 meters from the hotel. During our visits in town and our trips with the TGM we have been constantly reminded by Tunisians to be extremely vigilant. The hotel is far away from the city center (not recommended to walk in small streets) and we were strongly advised against the use of public transportation these days. The use of taxis - inexpensive - is a must, even though catching one may be time consuming at busy hours.
In short, Le Consul remains a comfortable hotel but I am not convinced that it deserves its rank.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on two occasions, with the first when I needed an overnight stay in Tunis before continuing my journey to the south of the country, then, some two weeks later, on the night before my return journey to London. I chose this hotel after reading previous encouraging reviews and I wasn't disappointed. Staff were courteous and did their best to make me feel welcome. The inside of the hotel was modern, clean and pleasantly configurated. On both occasions, I was given a spacious, well equiped, comfortable room. In the morning, it wasn't difficult to have a hearty breakfast, thanks to a good variety of foods provided on a self-service basis. The hotel also has a restaurant and, on the evening of my second stay, I rather enjoyed the three-course meal I ordered. This is a very good hotel for anyone thinking of having a stop-over or a longer stay in Tunis, particularly as it is within reasonable proximity of the city centre.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank elbahi
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I arrived in Tunis very late at night and was welcomed by a nicely furnished room at Le Consul. My room faced the street and had a nice balcony with a view of the Tunis skyline. It is located on a quiet side street and I had an undisturbed sleep for all three nights I stayed there. The location on rue de Palestine is a good base for exploring Tunis, Habib Bourguiba is only about a 20-minute walk from the hotel. My only complaint is that the towels were somewhat worn.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank yoribe
Reviewed January 15, 2011

The hotel does not impress you from the outside but once in the lobby things are different. The rooms have been renovated recently with modern bathrooms and flat screen TVs. Get the 5th floor rooms if you want to enjoy the comfort of a nice size balcony. Special mention for the hotel restaurant, not what you would expect from a hotel: all meals were excellent from the couscous, the mixed grill and the shrimps. Let's hope Tunisia will come back to calm so tourists can enjoy this excellent hotel

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business